Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 02 October, 2013, 03:07:49 PM
I'm pretty amazed to find that I didn't make any reference to the new Blondes album ... Factory Floor came along with their album and blew the back of my head clean off. In the spirit of international cooperation, I've also rather fallen for this slice of Eurocheese. Not sure if it's made it's way back to dear old Blighty yet.

Blondes are mental once they get going, aren't they? I hadn't heard of Factory Floor before, so thanks. We have been blessed with Askap Adivil already; has Basel succumbed to the the most annoying noise in the world - Jason Derulo and 2 Chainz? 2 Chainz also figured in the other big music news of Autumn, Kanye West's hilarious rant at nothing anyone can really put their finger on.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: sauchie on 02 October, 2013, 01:50:13 PM
If you're climbing the branches of Nirvana's rock family tree, you'll want to have a listen to The Raincoats too, Supersoaker. t=12m18s]KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERFUCKER[/url][/color][/font][/size][/glow]
Thanks Saucy, will check your links out.

Anyone watch the Pixies on the iTunes festival? Would've liked to have gone to that. I've seen them three times. One review said something was missing but sounded pretty good to me. Go to the iTunes store and you can watch it for free.

Am looking forward to seeing these fellas in November: http://publicservicebroadcasting.net. I will be finishing a big project a few days before so will be great to go to the gig and relax. Check out the Spitfire video. "A bird that breathes out fire and spits out death and destruction".

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sauchie on 02 October, 2013, 01:50:13 PM

If you're climbing the branches of Nirvana's rock family tree, you'll want to have a listen to The Raincoats too, Supersoaker. Kurt said (in the sleeve notes of Incesticide) that rediscovering a copy of their first record was the only thing which had given him any pleasure during that mental year when they went from being an indie band to having the jocks who used to beat them up in high school fighting in the front row of their arena shows.

KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERFUCKER

Their first album (the one linked to) is quite brilliant. I have to say the version linked to (the version I have) is enhanced with 'Fairy Tale in a Supermarket' a quite stunningly good song.

Frank

Arcade Fire are too often boring and trad for my liking, but they've solved that by hitching a ride on this year's disco bandwagon - look out for the nineties Italian House piano near the end:

ЯEFLEKTOЯ

GrinningChimera

I had a bit of a Cowboy Bebop marathon over the weekend and for the last 3 nights I've had Miles Davis on before bed. Not too keen on his later "experimental stuff" (for some reason Spinal Tap mk. 2 pops into my head when I say that) but everything before that was ace. Gotta order some Charlie Parker stuff when I've got the dosh.

Frank

I only own one Miles Davis record :-[. Telegram make an entertaining New Wave racket; sadly, the fact the lead singer is Jeff Buckley handsome only highlights the way the rest of the band look like Pee Wee Herman or that weird guy from Beyond the Valley of the Dolls who turned up in one of Al Ewing's last Dredd stories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6rK0ODu_GuY#t=24

JOE SOAP

Adebisi Shank supply some cheerful instra-metal and an 80's tasche.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 06 October, 2013, 11:20:59 PM

Arcade Fire are too often boring and trad for my liking, but they've solved that by hitching a ride on this year's disco bandwagon - look out for the nineties Italian House piano near the end:

ЯEFLEKTOЯ

Might be the best thing they've ever recorded.

GrinningChimera

Dug out my old Maiden records. I forgot how brutal the opening to this song is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MAOLbylg8A

UP THE IRONS!

shaolin_monkey

I went to a concert my harp tutor, Glenda Clwyd, put on. It celebrated 40 years of her playing harp, covering the stuff she learnt in near chronological order. It included a wide variety if musical styles, such as classical, rat pack, and even harp versions of up to date pop stuff. It was bloody incredible! Her fingers must have been crippled by the end if it.

She got a massive roar of appreciation when she did this one, normally done as a duet or trio:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k2bpKEkbWBM

Hawkmumbler

Andrew Maxwell, Public Enemies. Food. He has a good point on Waitrose. :lol:

Definitely Not Mister Pops

It's loud, it's fast, it's rock'n'roll, it's a livestream* of Motorhead's new album!

*Scroll to the bottom, just above the comments.

You may quote me on that.

von Boom

Quote from: Mister Pops on 15 October, 2013, 09:18:48 PM
It's loud, it's fast, it's rock'n'roll, it's a livestream* of Motorhead's new album!

*Scroll to the bottom, just above the comments.

AWESOME! Thanks for the link.

Motorhead is one of my favs. :)

CrazyFoxMachine

I do love Motorhead - although I wasn't in suspense as to what the record would sound like - exactly the same as every other album they've ever done? That's fine, carry on! Although the more laid back ones are real good here - Lost Woman Blues & Dust and Glass.

And you've got to love the auto translate for the website...

"Also this year, Lemmy Kilmister will bring the German arenas for cooking"

Albion

I've been listening to the entire Motörhead back catalogue over the last few days. Awesome, just awesome. You can't beat a bit of 'head and as a live band they have been truly awesome over the last few years and have gotten even better with age.
Lemmy may have given up smoking, cut down on the speed and Jack 'n' Coke and even started drinking wine but you can't knock him and his music, a true metal God.
\m/
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.