Main Menu

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Started by von Boom, 08 March, 2012, 07:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Thirty-four years ago today Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy first aired on Radio 4. I will extend my jealousies to anyone that heard it that day.

Here's a link with some fun facts from SFX.

JvB

Mudcrab

Wow, that's ages. A no from me, but saw it when it was first on TV  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

O Lucky Stevie!

Oddly enough Stevie found his cassette tapes of both radio series recently & has been listening to them whilst doing the ironing.

Despite not having consumed HGTTG in any form since the late 1980s he still remembers every word.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

SpetsnaZ99

Does anyone else remember the trivia that the shape of Marvins head in the tv series was based on the original apple mac computer
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

CrazyFoxMachine

I was listening to this just yesterday :D I think I love Hitchhiker's Guide more than anything else in all of the world - !

Gonk

Yes spetsna I remember that. I personally always wanted to be "ORAC" out of Blakes 7.

coming at a cinema near you soon

Cyberleader2000

I have all the cassette tapes and the tv show personlay my favorit vershion has to be the Radio bordcast the way the story is so insnane and sane at the same time is genious the 3rd story with the crikit robots is my favorit dam it now I want to lison to that one again and ive just relised I fogot where I put it.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

Onlyverysmall

People often say that everyone's favourite version of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is the first medium they found it in, not quite true with me as I first watched it on TV while slightly too young to fully appreciate it, and my favourite medium is the book. I find all the quotes from the Guide sound smug in any voice but my own.

SpetsnaZ99

Quote from: Cyberleader2000 on 09 March, 2012, 11:47:20 PM
I have all the cassette tapes and the tv show personlay my favorit vershion has to be the Radio bordcast the way the story is so insnane and sane at the same time is genious the 3rd story with the crikit robots is my favorit dam it now I want to lison to that one again and ive just relised I fogot where I put it.

Its under that big pile of Gundam toys in the corner of your room...

Quote from: Onlyverysmall on 10 March, 2012, 12:13:39 AM
People often say that everyone's favourite version of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is the first medium they found it in, not quite true with me as I first watched it on TV while slightly too young to fully appreciate it, and my favourite medium is the book. I find all the quotes from the Guide sound smug in any voice but my own.

Totally agree with everything you said there
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Devons Daddy

truly brilliant stuff wasn't it, radio,tv,(movie at a push) but it has more quotes for us as sci-fi types then the godfather!!!

Don't Panic, always carry a towel, mostly harmless, 42!!!!

good bye and thanks for all the fish, the list is endless,
watched the TV how, later heard the radio version, then read the book, all truly and immensely satisfying and filled with brilliant slightly off centre ideas.

restaurant at the end of the universe still my favorite of all the ideas.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Daveycandlish

I actually like the movie - that So Long And Thanks For All The Fish tune is incredibly catchy.

My favourite though is the radio show (saw the TV version first) and I'm looking forward to seeing the original radio cast reunite to perform it again when they tour this year

http://www.hitchhikerslive.com/
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

von Boom

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: fonky on 09 March, 2012, 09:06:59 AM
Yes spetsna I remember that. I personally always wanted to be "ORAC" out of Blakes 7.

Surley admitting THAT here is herasy!   And do you know that had Doglas Adams lived he'd of Celebrated his 50th birthday last week?

Gonk

Not really, why? It was only a soap opera set in space. I like lots of different things and tend not to let herd mentality put me off my enthusiasms.

It sounds a bit like a friend of mine who loves "The Sound of Music" and hates other musicals and won't let any discussion of Billy Eliot take place in her house. Weird.
coming at a cinema near you soon