Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 October, 2012, 07:12:01 PM
Post-contact American history is so incredibly compressed. Similarly Back to the Future III always amazes me.  The contrast in Hill Valley between 1885 and 1955 - just 70 years, one lifetime!

Ditto the bits in The Wild Bunch and Young Guns 2 which feature cars. Even Paul Newman's bike in Butch Cassidy seems as anachronous as Burt Bacharach and Hal David on the soundtrack, but history does not easily separate into dicrete eras. I remember being confused watching an American High School film where some of the kids were wearing flares and some were rocking skinny jeans, and my Dad having to explain that not everyone ditched their bell bottoms on the evening of the 31st of December 1979.

Consequently, I have an acutely detailed mental map of the trouser-based fashion developments of my own time, since I realised that this kind of specificity was where the true history of a time could be found, rather than the dry records of the succession of Kings and Queens. I would devote a paragraph to the journey from dark blue skintights, to straight-leg stone/snow-wash, to the 'baggy' (gathered in ankles with a fastening strap and stud), to the Flinstone jean, to 'vintage' 501's (with or without a designer tear in the knee) - but I don't want to derail the thread.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 19 October, 2012, 08:03:05 PM
Consequently, I have an acutely detailed mental map of the trouser-based fashion developments of my own time, since I realised that this kind of specificity was where the true history of a time could be found, rather than the dry records of the succession of Kings and Queens. I would devote a paragraph to the journey from dark blue skintights, to straight-leg stone/snow-wash, to the 'baggy' (gathered in ankles with a fastening strap and stud), to the Flinstone jean, to 'vintage' 501's (with or without a designer tear in the knee)...

You are Eddie Campbell and I claim my signed copy of Bacchus #0.

I was watching the (fab) Wartime Farm the other week, and was momentarily shaken by the idea that black and white GIs billeted around English villages would never attend the same dances.  Even being aware of military segregation, somehow visualising it the 1940s English countryside (where the same program had previously highlighted the story of black land-girls), seemed a staggering anachronism.  Land of the free, baby, let's fight the Nazi menace.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 October, 2012, 08:07:16 PM
You are Eddie Campbell and I claim my signed copy of Bacchus #0.

I was watching the (fab) Wartime Farm the other week, and was momentarily shaken by the idea that black and white GIs billeted around English villages would never attend the same dances.  Even being aware of military segregation, somehow visualising it the 1940s English countryside (where the same program had previously highlighted the story of black land-girls), seemed a staggering anachronism.  Land of the free, baby, let's fight the Nazi menace.

I'll knock you up a quick sketch of a dead prostitute later. There are enough mixed race pensioners in otherwise white bread Central Scotland to testify that the local girls didn't respect the military's fear of miscegenation in the same way as their buffalo soldiers. There's a guy who works in a motor factors in Larbert with the unique combination of African physiognomy/Afro hairdo and peely wally Scottish pigmentation/ginger hair. It's actually cooler than it sounds.

M.I.K.

Quote from: sauchie on 19 October, 2012, 06:30:36 PM
The Human Wormhole is a great concept. One of the articles linked-to in that item drops the bomb that three American Civil War widows were still collecting their husbands' pensions into the early 21st century. Mind duly blown. Cheers, pops.

Ye gods... Just how many 20 year olds were marrying octogenarians back then?

Spikes

Has anybody else created a new folder especially to save all those Thrillmails were being sent?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Judge Jack on 19 October, 2012, 10:26:41 PM
Has anybody else created a new folder especially to save all those Thrillmails were being sent?
no - and would I be a bad Squaax if I put Tharg in my spam filter?

Goaty

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 October, 2012, 11:02:52 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 19 October, 2012, 10:26:41 PM
no - and would I be a bad Squaax if I put Tharg in my spam filter?

I think you got Goaty in it... ;)

Definitely Not Mister Pops

This deserves its own thread
You may quote me on that.

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

TordelBack

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 20 October, 2012, 11:02:07 AM
Bring back Modpleton!

He never really went away, he's been right here all along.  In our hearts.

Fondling our ventricles suggestively and reciting the lyrics of Hungarian anti-war raps over and over again.

Spikes

Bring back Modpleton!

:o

That would be the forum's very own Day of Chaos.

So yeah, bring him back,  ;)

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 October, 2012, 11:43:45 AM
Bring back Modpleton!

He never really went away, he's been right here all along.  In our hearts.

Fondling our ventricles suggestively and reciting the lyrics of Hungarian anti-war raps over and over again.

He has gone to sit at the right hand of Karne, forever and ever.

The Legendary Shark

Bring back Modpleton!

Be careful what you wish for. I once had a friend who wished that his penis was long enough to touch the floor and both his legs fell off.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Gonk

...wasn't he later arrested by the police for arse-ing around?

coming at a cinema near you soon