Main Menu

I'm gonna read them all...

Started by Bongo_clive, 18 March, 2014, 06:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Bongo_clive on 11 April, 2014, 12:19:57 PM
Aliens? Leyser guns? Dimension jumping? What a load of bollocks.

I agree completely that it's utter nonsense, but Time Killer's also fantastically entertaining. Murdach's a great sidekick, Elric and the Guledig are series-defining villains, and I had a ball thinking through the implications of the macrocosmic balance. Tell me you read Sláine's discomfort at having to be nice to Pluke and didn't laugh.

Plus, y'know, Fabry's El-women and Pugh's grotesque exaggeration of the warp spasm. The good news for you is that Sláine doesn't spend too long fannying about in time with Merlin before he's back killing other Celts in the buff, but the Goddess sending Sláine and Ukko on a journey through myth is a recurring feature of the strip.

Magnetica

I just love this period of Slaine that you are hitting now. You have some great stuff ahead of you in the 100 Progs or so...Tomb of Terror, Spoils of Annwn and Slaine the King. Enjoy.

(I love the stuff you have just gone through as well).

In my opinion Slaine up to the of the King is just some of the best stuff ever in the Prog and the art...Belardnelli, McMahon, Fabry..its just a succession of greats. (And lets not forget the stuff by David Pugh, Mike Collins, Mark Farmer either and Angie Kincaid either).

Bongo_clive

Quote from: Magnetica on 11 April, 2014, 06:58:11 PM

In my opinion Slaine up to the of the King is just some of the best stuff ever in the Prog and the art...Belardnelli, McMahon, Fabry..its just a succession of greats. (And lets not forget the stuff by David Pugh, Mike Collins, Mark Farmer either and Angie Kincaid either).

Wow. I really dislike Belardnelli's work. It all feels so static with very little depth. A major reason I disliked Meltdown Man

Leigh S

Quote from: sauchie on 07 April, 2014, 07:21:09 PM
Quote from: Trout on 07 April, 2014, 01:33:08 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 07 April, 2014, 12:19:55 PM
The prog that had the prog length sequel to City of the Damned was what killed my enjoyment.  I can remember thinking not even a wagner dredd is good anymore.

I need to dig that comic out and re-read it. I liked it at the time and can't understand why others don't.

I read it last week, for the only time other than its original publication. I'm going to employ the wise advice of Thumper's mother in Bambi, except to observe that the virtual reality storyline which began the 1994 DC Dredd series was afflicted by the problem from which all 'dream' narratives suffer, that nothing makes any sense while reading them, and once they're over there's a disappointment that none of what preceded really mattered.

Stories such as the ill conceived virtual reality plot sequence in the 1994 DC Dredd series always feel like the authors' solution to the problem of having to write a story, rather than something the author considered worth writing, or thought the reader would enjoy. That's what I thought was wrong with the virtual reality storyline in the 1994 DC Dredd series, but I'll keep my counsel concerning the sequel to City Of The Damned.

I think the art rather than the story was the real problem for in the Year 2120... It had the vibe of "Behold...The Beast!" storywise, and if the art had matched Carlos' brilliance in that story, I think it qould have been a worthy exercise.... as was, not so much.

TordelBack

Quote from: Bongo_clive on 11 April, 2014, 09:01:48 PM
Wow. I really dislike Belardnelli's work. It all feels so static with very little depth.

Objective wrongness!

Fungus

Wow. I really dislike Belardnelli's work. It all feels so static with very little depth. A major reason I disliked Meltdown Man

That sounds funny said out loud.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 April, 2014, 09:50:10 PM
Wow. I really dislike Belardnelli's work. It all feels so static with very little depth.

Objective wrongness!

Mr Back is correct.  His Land of the Young was absolutely perfect, and the Ace Garp universe could never be properly resurrected without Belardinelli.  Which, of course, is impossible. 

Though I must say I didn't like how he drew Slaine as a character.  It was only in the last few years I realised that Angie Kincaid drew him the way he was, well, meant to look, while Belardinelli and McMahon veered off drastically before he went back to his original appearance at the hands of Fabry, Pugh et al. I loved how McMahon drew him, but he was a different character from the Sláine we're most familiar with.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Trout

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 April, 2014, 07:42:37 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 11 April, 2014, 09:50:10 PM

Objective wrongness!

Mr Back is correct.  His Land of the Young was absolutely perfect, and the Ace Garp universe could never be properly resurrected without Belardinelli.  Which, of course, is impossible. 

Though I must say I didn't like how he drew Slaine as a character.  It was only in the last few years I realised that Angie Kincaid drew him the way he was, well, meant to look, while Belardinelli and McMahon veered off drastically before he went back to his original appearance at the hands of Fabry, Pugh et al. I loved how McMahon drew him, but he was a different character from the Sláine we're most familiar with.

Yes and yes. With a "yes" jus.

Grant Goggans

868-871 for me.  Any of the four.  You have my least favorite Dredd story, "Frankenstein Division," running at the same time as my least favorite thrill ever, "Mother Earth."  Doesn't matter that I like two of the other stories.  Those two.  Why Tharg Why etc

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Trout on 12 April, 2014, 08:07:59 PM
Yes and yes. With a "yes" jus.

:lol: I'm going to say that as frequently as I can for the rest of my life.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

GET THE FRUCK OF THIS FORUM!!!!!

Spikes

Massimo on Meltdown Man = Perfection.

Dandontdare

Belardinelli does have strengths and weaknesses - if you want bugfuck creatures, bizarre mutants, spaceships and fantastic alien landscapes, he's your man. Anatomically correct humans in motion - not so great.

Bongo_clive

So I've hit 455, and I'm going to take a little break as I've heard Corey's Expanse trilogy is shaping up awesomely, and as it was a dearth of decent novels that gave me the idea to re-read 2000AD, this seems like a good time to pause.

Have to say, Halo Jones is still genius, Nemesis is fantastic, Dredd is good as always, Rogue Trooper muddles along, but Slaine and Ace Trucking suck big hairy muchachos.

I started reading 2000AD after ACE Trucking had finished its run, and I'm glad I missed it. Could it be that people have rose tinted specs?

Frank

Quote from: Bongo_clive on 27 April, 2014, 06:14:44 PM
Could it be that people have rose tinted specs?

No - it's just a story you don't like it.