Main Menu

Prog 1877 - Someone Call a Cop?

Started by JamesC, 12 April, 2014, 10:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Lovely Dredd cover by Ben Willsher. It looks a bit abstract at first glance but it's a clever and dynamic image.

Dredd: Unfortunately fails to live up to the dynamism of the cover image. I'm finding this slow-burn story duller every week. The secret has been dangled for too long and I don't really care anymore. It has absolutely no feel of a post DOC story either.

Outlier: This strip continues to be silly fun. I'm not sure it's supposed to be silly butt  that doesn't stop me enjoying it.

Slaine: I like the strip but I'm really not getting on with the art - It's well done but not my cup of tea.

Sinister Dexter: Enjoyable as always. Nice to see the girls come to the rescue this week.

Jaegir: This was probably the best thing in the prog this week - it has a very high quality feel about it. A class act.

Not a bad prog. For me, the newer strips are out shining the old favourites.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Yep, this Dredd is like a soap storyline. It's plodding along and frustrating with its glacial lack of stuff happening.

It's one or two episodes too long if you ask me.
Lock up your spoons!

A.Cow

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 April, 2014, 03:20:56 PM
Yep, this Dredd is like a soap storyline. It's plodding along and frustrating with its glacial lack of stuff happening.

Personally, I feel it's paced just right.  The teasing is frustrating but I suspect it'll lead to something significant that will affect the status quo.  It'll be nice to have something that runs against the episodic norm.

Steve Green

I've really been liking the Dredd, it's been dripping in atmosphere, some good gags with the robot barman, and I always like to see something outside MC-1.

JamesC

Quote from: A.Cow on 12 April, 2014, 07:02:01 PM

Personally, I feel it's paced just right.  The teasing is frustrating but I suspect it'll lead to something significant that will affect the status quo.  It'll be nice to have something that runs against the episodic norm.

But we've just had DOC which was a massive event which should effect the status quo but at the moment doesn't really seem to be.
I think that a more overt link to DOC would help this story because it would raise questions about how far Justice Department can go to ensure something similar doesn't happen again. If this story really showed the terrible state the city has been left in it may make it seem almost justifiable to see Justice Department over reacting.

Frank

this Dredd is like a soap storyline

Now you mention it, I'm sure there was a Judge Mugabe in Neighbours. Each Saturday and Sunday see half a dozen comments on the prog review thread from subscribers who generally seem fed up with most of the stories. By the second page of comments, all those who pick up the prog in Smiths to read during their Wednesday lunch break are declaring everything to be brilliant. If anything, you'd imagine it would be the other way round.

Magnetica

Quote from: sauchie on 12 April, 2014, 07:31:04 PM
Each Saturday and Sunday see half a dozen comments on the prog review thread from subscribers who generally seem fed up with most of the stories. By the second page of comments, all those who pick up the prog in Smiths to read during their Wednesday lunch break are declaring everything to be brilliant. If anything, you'd imagine it would be the other way round.

Yes that is an interesting point. I am new to the forum and fairly surprised to see comments along the lines of "I've only ever liked on average 2 or 3 out of 5 of the stories in the Prog" and this from people who have made thousands of posts.

But also I guess there are people out there who don't subscribe, rather pick it up every Weds from Smith's or the newsagent and have done so every single week and love it just as much as the next person.

Well that's my opinion anyway...cause that's what I have been doing...since 1979

dweezil2

I guess we're just spoilt!
I think 2000AD has been consistently brilliant since Rebellion took over and has rarely been better-and I've been reading since '78
You only have to compare the comic to the glut of mediocre DC and Marvel titles to appreciate the quality of the Prog.   :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Richard

There's no pleasing some people. Too jaded with life I suppose. Off to the Euthanasium with them!

A.Cow

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 April, 2014, 11:18:06 PM
I guess we're just spoilt! ... You only have to compare the comic to the glut of mediocre DC and Marvel titles to appreciate the quality of the Prog.   :)

Or compare it with the IDW Dredd titles.  IDW's writers just don't get it; even the stuff by established 2000AD-served writers seems to be damaged by the editing or artwork.  It's DC Dredd all over again.

Colin YNWA

Good grief why on earth shouldn't some subscribes lack enjoyment in the Prog at any given time? I find it neither surprising, or an issue, rather the glory that is The Galaxies Greatest. The diversity we all delve into is the Progs greatest strength. However good a prog is for me, someone will hate most of it, when the Progs weak for me someone will love ever panel and long may that continue. Why worry about what others think, except in expanding the ideas and interest you gain from the stories. Its not a competition to like it or not like it - its a wonderful comic that makes you read stuff you might not otherwise and teaches you to try new things and take the rough with the smooth.

All that said this subscriber, with thousands of posts, is loving the Prog at the moment. This week we have a new high for the current run as the one story I had lingering doubts on I really enjoyed. I loved Jaegir this week. The less obviously severe pause for breathe really settle things in, gave the led a chance to be filled out and was a delight. The turn up of excitement was fantastically timed and I'm really looking forward to this next week.

Our other new thrill Outlier has been entertaining me since the off almost and this week is no different. It does raise the spectre of more old ground, do we really want a protagonist who is seeming impossible to destroy? Mind its only a possibility raised and overall a very entertaining part to a very entertaining thrill. There was also something so brilliantly 70s Marvel about that double page spread.

The three stalwarts are on great form. Slaine might be quite as good as the first couple of parts but its still a treat for the eyes and you gotta enjoy a bit of brainbiting when it comes to our celtic chap, so all good.

Dredd and Sinister Dexter I can't decide which is my favourite at the mo. The Dredd is glorious, building, building building and I for one can't wait for the reveal next week. Perfect pacing, building tension while developing Dredd and exposing a shift in him since DoC that some don't seem to be getting, for me at least its all there. Like a lot of what Wagner seems to be doing of late he's appears to me at least to  be revisiting ideas of the past and framing them in the new world of Dredd. This story echos back strongly to 'The man who knew too much' an old favourite of mine from Progs 438-9. Showing when it comes to the justice department the more things change the more they try to keep them the same. Of course though they can't.

Sinister Dexter is just great action fun and I love the way Tracy is pushed to the fore. Kick ass.

All the thrills this week have a great go at having a killer drew to next week as well. Okay so Slaine's might not be as good as the rest but the last pages of the other four all fair scream at you to come clamoring back same time same bat channel. Can't wait.

Magnetica

Hey look I'm not expecting everyone to enjoy all the strips all the time. That obviously can't happen and there are plenty of strips down the years I didn't like so much. Indeed I am subscribing to all the 2000AD related IDW stuff and I actually don't really like it (Rogue Trooper apart).

And no disrespect intended to anyone, if anything it shows that people do care about the Prog even if there are bits in it they don't like. Hopeful that is part of the purpose of the forum - to get a better Prog for everyone.

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 April, 2014, 09:40:09 AM
Good grief why on earth shouldn't some subscribers lack enjoyment in the Prog at any given time?

Arf! Observation about something that seems curiously counterintuitive, Colin, rather than a criticism or a commandment. I'm the person responsible for the comment Magnetica alludes to above, about having enjoyed an average of two or three out of five stories for most of my time reading 2000ad, so I certainly wasn't arguing that we should all sign a pledge declaring Age Of The Wolf to be the new Watchmen.

Eamonn Clarke

My review will appear on the ECBT2000AD blog at some point but I thought it was a terrific issue. Same with the Meg