Main Menu

Before Miracleman

Started by Jimmy Baker's Assistant, 04 September, 2014, 05:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

There has never been a better time for Tharg to approach Alan Moore about writing a Zenith reboot.

Daveycandlish

Now that might actually entice me to buy a copy. (I have all the Warrior issues and Eclipse stuff so see no need to hand over hard earned cash for recoloured reprints)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Link Prime

I think I'm one of the few boarders actually buying this re-coloured reprint version on a monthly (despite the souring fiver an issue price tag).

I am very much enjoying it though.

First thought when I read this article; hell yeah, I'll buy that.

Montynero

A number of things occur:

- Hell, that art looks lovely.

- I thought Morrisson and Quesada fell out big style when Grant left X-men. I guess that was a while ago.

- This was a really early script wasn't it. I wonder if it's crap.

- I'd like to read Near Myths.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I don't really understand how anyone that likes Miracleman can consider buying this, but there again I felt the same about Watchmen / Before Watchmen.

A little bit of artistic integrity from the Big 2 would be very welcome, rather than continuously trying to upset their medium's only genius in new and ever more creative ways.

Colin YNWA

This is just plain hilarious. Oh I'm sure from some people will get very upset and there'll be stamping of feet and gnashing of teeth.

But its like the greatest bit of comic trolling there has ever been. Its as if Marvel big wigs sat there, scratching themselves, stirring at there various internet connected devices, not looking at each other bored as once again they'd started to tramp on DCs sales after a worrying couple of year. They sat there feeling empty, with nothing left to achieve until one of them wiped the food from their chin and said

"Well we could try to offend the comics Internet even more than DC did with Before Watchmen."

They all laughed sadly, a hollow laugh not truly believing it as possible...then as another plucked his pants out his bum cheeks and said

"Actually come to think of it I've had an idea..."

I'm just glad that not so tunneled visioned as to think that Alan Moore is "their medium's only genius" so don't need to take it all that seriously.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 September, 2014, 09:30:12 PM
I'm just glad that not so tunneled visioned as to think that Alan Moore is "their medium's only genius" so don't need to take it all that seriously.

I'm glad I'm not so indiscriminate that I can't recognise exceptional talent when I see it.

Frank

Please stop this terrifying conflict before someone gets seriously hurt, lads:

Professor Bear

I thought the opposite was more likely - that Morrison had so alienated US fanboys that this will be picked apart, shat upon, and then thrown in his face as proof that Moore was right to nix it in the first place, as there is a more than likely chance it has been recycled elsewhere in the intervening years, given how latter day Morrison has a tendency to repeat himself.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 04 September, 2014, 09:52:51 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 September, 2014, 09:30:12 PM

I'm glad I'm not so indiscriminate that I can't recognise exceptional talent when I see it.

That's wonderful for you. The two however need not be mutually exclusive.

You could (I'm not for one minute suggesting I can of course, heck you of all people seem to be able to see that) recognise exceptional talent, indeed you might define Alan Moore as a genius (gosh you know what even I might do that occasionally) but still not think he is the only one out there.

Such a statement is very dismissive and one might even get melodramatic about it and say insulting, to some exceptional talents, to suggest no one else gets to that standard.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sauchie post office on 04 September, 2014, 10:02:36 PM

Please stop this terrifying conflict before someone gets seriously hurt, lads:

No way will I let it get that far. Defo have to take glasses off first.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 September, 2014, 10:08:14 PM
Such a statement is very dismissive and one might even get melodramatic about it and say insulting, to some exceptional talents, to suggest no one else gets to that standard.

Okay, you win. everyone's a genius.

Would hate to insult bad, okay, good, very good and excellent comic creators by subjectively ranking them in terms of ability.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 September, 2014, 09:30:12 PMI'm just glad that not so tunneled visioned as to think that Alan Moore is "their medium's only genius" so don't need to take it all that seriously.

Moore says he's a wizard, shouts at the industry when he deigns to address it at all, can troll the entire comics internet without ever in his life going on the internet, feeds the poor, gets married while dressed like a leprechaun - let's face it, the man's either a genius or a fucking nutter, there's no third option.

I think it's probably fair to say Moore is comics' lone genius, if only because in withdrawing from them he's stopped having to prove it even as the modern comics industry still being defined by what he did 30 years ago does that for him anyway.  Those who might also have been able to lay claim to the title have eroded their claims somewhat by sticking around and doing odd jobs for cash. 

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 04 September, 2014, 10:12:36 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 September, 2014, 10:08:14 PM

Okay, you win. everyone's a genius.

Would hate to insult bad, okay, good, very good and excellent comic creators by subjectively ranking them in terms of ability.
I'm currently ranking each of us on our failure to understand sarcasm. I think it's a draw.
We never really die.