Main Menu

Judge Dredd newspaper strip (Not the Daily Dredds or Metro)

Started by Dodsy, 12 December, 2014, 01:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodsy

I know I haven't imagined these but I can't find any information anywhere else. I think it was my local paper (The Evening Gazette) used to run a daily Dredd strip, usually about 3 – 4 panels (like a traditional daily strip) that would tell a longer story over a couple of weeks, I know for definite there was a Dark Judge one. I know I haven't imagined them because my Granddad used to cut them out and keep them for me.

However I don't recall ever seeing these being re-printed and I can't find anything online, all I can find is information on either Daily Star Dredd or Metro Dredd.

This will have been around the time of the Stallone movie so 95/96. Does anyone have any information on these? Where they ever re-printed?
Twitter - @dodsy84

JOE SOAP

It was a Daily Star story reprinted in JUDGE DREDD MEGA SPECIAL 1988, the Megazine and The Complete Judge Dredd Special Edition 1995:

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=specials&choice=MEGA88

glassstanley

There was an adaptation of the movie published in the News of the World:

http://cellarofdredd.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/daily-star-dredd-story_13.html

Judge Dredd: Lawman of the Future ran some similarly-sized strips around that time which suggests to me that they were using stories originally due for reprinting in the NotW had the newspaper decided to continue after the adaptation.

However, these weren't daily.

I suspect you are recalling the daily Daily Star strips.

Leigh S

Yes - sounds like the Daily Star strips, which by the time the 95 film came out were running as multipart stories (usually 42 parts) in 3 panel parts.  At teh time fo the movie there was a Mark Millar/ Carlos Pino story running (or there abouts)

JOE SOAP

Judge Dredd

Bride of Death 67 episodes (255 to 321, Daily Star 31st December, 1986 to 18th March, 1987) 67 pages

Script: John Wagner/Alan Grant, Artist: Ian Gibson
Featuring: Judge Death

Reprinted
Judge Dredd Megazine 3.54
Judge Dredd Megazine 3.55
2000AD Prog 606
2000AD Prog 607
2000AD Prog 608
Quality: Judge Dredd (Volume 2) 33 (1-39?), Colour: Unknown
Quality: Judge Dredd (Volume 2) 34 (40-66?), Colour: Unknown

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=Star&choice=DEATH

Leigh S

Or possibly:

Marked for Death
42 episodes (2675 to 2716, Daily Star 30th January, 1995 to 18th March, 1995)
Script: Mark Millar, Artist: Carlos Pino
Featuring: JUDGE DEATH

Dodsy

It definitely wasn't Bride of Death cause I've read that recently. Could possibly be Marked for Death.

They probably are just reprints of Daily Dredds I'm thinking of and I just didn't know what they were at the time.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Dodsy

Going to try and revive this cause it came up in conversation recently and started bugging me again.

Can anyone think of any possible strips this could have been? The panel I remember the most clearly was the 4 Dark Judges 'teleporting' to Megacity One and the last panel was the 4 of them together with Death saying "were heeeree" or something to that effect.
Was definitely a newspaper strip and I can't find a mention of the Dark Judges in the Daily Dredd's, just Death himself.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Large48

If it was 1994 / 1995 then it could 'possibly' have been "Marked for Death" or "The Dead Judge's Society" or "Dead Man's Boots" perhaps, plenty of options and we may never find out!  :'(
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Leigh S

If I get teh chance to get in the loft over teh weekend I will have a look - almost certainly a Millar story with Carlos Pino art