Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Got to wonder what some people at Oxfam are smoking with this sort of pricing

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/2000ad-the-ultimate-collection-nikolai-dante-volume-one/product/HD_200370264?pscid=ps_ggl_OOS+-+Smart+Shopping+-+Books+-+Prospecting+-+2021_Ad+group&crm_event_code=20REUWWS08&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqp-LBhDQARIsAO0a6aJm5rceHS4Z6Us8ZPsAvOoQaw-xuFp1Os_mw8-BMyQeVygPoLuB6FoaAgrxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am curious myself at the extension.  Is there any stuff we can definitely exclude?  I guess anything with a licence like Dan Dare and Stainless Steel Rat for instance, not to mention that both of those have been released fairly recently.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Dark Jimbo

There's lots of 'possibles' to plug the unknown gaps, but very few clues to go on. Armoured Gideon would fit in one very lovely chunky book; Scarlet Traces would make for a great couple of volumes; Survival Geeks seems like a notable omission thus far; a Dredd Machine Law/Gautemala volume would be lovely.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Max Headroom on 14 October, 2021, 08:51:42 PM
I must agree with Indigo - 'The Red Seas' really was excellent. Ian Edginton is a most accomplished scribe.

It's a series I quite enjoyed (going as far as to purchase a page from Steve 'Owl), but never re-read after the initial Prog run, and I will admit it is already beginning to fade from my mind.
I've missed the boat on some of the UC cherry picks now alas.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 October, 2021, 09:46:04 AM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 14 October, 2021, 08:51:42 PM
I must agree with Indigo - 'The Red Seas' really was excellent. Ian Edginton is a most accomplished scribe.
I've missed the boat on some of the UC cherry picks now alas.

Check put the Hachette site, Link, loads of the books are currently back in stock.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 October, 2021, 09:47:39 AM
Check put the Hachette site, Link, loads of the books are currently back in stock.

Would you believe I was doing that just recently Jimbo, but unfortunately they are no longer delivering to Ireland.

I think I'll check with the lads in Big Bang Comics if they could place a back-issue order on my behalf.

sintec

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 14 October, 2021, 11:19:04 PM
hoping for extension editions of blackhawk and disaster (the former has my favourite ever comics art, the latter is the best kind of super serious nonsense from that era).

Blackhawk has already been confirmed so you'll definitely be have one of your two wishes.

armoured Gideon and Survival Geeks are both on my speculation list. Isn't the first book of Scarlet Traces creator owned? I grabbed the trades on those grounds as I thought it made it an unlikely include but could be wrong.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sintec on 15 October, 2021, 09:54:59 AM
Isn't the first book of Scarlet Traces creator owned? I grabbed the trades on those grounds as I thought it made it an unlikely include but could be wrong.

IST(vaguely)R Ian saying that he and D'israeli sold Scarlet Traces to Rebellion. I would imagine that included the previous volumes and not just future ones, but I don't know for certain.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

The original press about it made no mention of anything being left out. It was about the series being brought in-house and Rebellion republishing it along with commissioning new stories. So it would certainly be viable for this collection. In HC, that might finally prompt me to move on from the gorgeous Dark Horse hardcovers.

Tomontherun94

Wonder if we could get the last two arcs of Savage in a book paired up with Disaster 1990 for the sake of completion.

sintec

Quote from: Tomontherun94 on 15 October, 2021, 11:14:38 AM
Wonder if we could get the last two arcs of Savage in a book paired up with Disaster 1990 for the sake of completion.

I asked a while back (around when we got vol3) if we'd get more Savage and was told no.  But given the webteam don't seem to have much info about what will be included I'm not sure how definitive that actually is.

abelardsnazz

Don't know what the lead-in time is for this kind of thing but will issue 112 have gone to the printers yet? Someone somewhere must know as its due before Christmas? Is it going to be Bradley?

sintec

Oh I'm certain someone knows the full run - they're just not telling.

Tomwe

I tweeted @ 2000AD but they said it was on Hachette when to release the list.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: Tomontherun94 on 15 October, 2021, 11:14:38 AM

I'd welcome that, I've got Disaster 1990 on floppy thanks to someone on this site, but more Savage is always good.  I was surprised at one thing in The Guv'nor, when he teleported the Siberian Tiger into the Volgan Generals tank and came away with the quip "I put a tiger in his tank", I wondered how many knew the origins of that line.  I remember as a kid in the 70's having some of the Esso posters with the tiger and that phrase.

Disaster was silly but in fun turn your brain off way, although it's main fault was that it seemed to suddenly stop as if the writers had been told "You've got a week or two then this is ending", and that was it.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Hackenbush

Finishing Savage would be awesome if they manage it.
There are 29 books to fill in the extension..

I think we'll get
1 Ro-busters volume (2000 ad stuff only)
1 ABC warriors volume (the three "return to" stories)
1 BlackHawk
1 Revere / Cradlegrave
1 Mean team / mean arena
2 Sinister Dexters (the stuff that was in megazine floppies)
1 Deadworld
1 Finn
1 extra Slaine ?
1 Armoured Gideon
1 War Machine (paired with random Friday one-offs)
1 Leviathan
1 Devlin Waugh (post John smith stuff)
2 Strontium Dogs / Durham Red / Tales Doghouse
1 Samantha Slade (maybe with Hogan Hughes robo hunter)
2 Dredds (could be anything, probably machine law)
1 Harry 20

And then I run out of ideas

I know I'd love some of the rubbish from when I was reading back in the 90s, but I doubt Tharg agrees..