The Letters Beast - Online!

Started by Buttonman, 27 September, 2017, 03:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

He's never been the same since he became a TV celebrity

Fungus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 November, 2018, 02:02:47 PM
He's never been the same since he became a TV celebrity
I'll never understand why Buttman-off-the-telly put his hard work online for all*. What an act of philanthropy!

* Mind you, I've looked myself up like everyone else.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Calm Down Tom, we're back.

I nearly stuck this in under the Advent Calendar thread but why waste everyone's' Christmas? Here we go, it's back and it's bad...very bad.

Hey Kids! Do you remember when, at this special time of year, old friends popped up and the TV was awash with special programmes featuring familiar favourites?

Well this isn't that; this is some geezer trotting out his jaded old list of letters for the amusement of himself and the annoyance of many. Non scribes we call them!

Since the online Beast totally soaked up our thunder it has been quiet here at Beast Towers. The Brexit vote leaves our EU funding in doubt and frankly there are only so many ways we can say 'It's a standard run through the stories' type letter or 'The (Doug) Butler did it'.

Still, the Beast needs to be fed and after it was noted that Tom Proudfoot was falling down the charts, we thought it was time to restoke the boilers and have a look at 2018 in letters and to sort out those family arguments over who has had the most letters printed in2000ad and The Judge Dredd Megazine.

The new scoreboard is a thing of beauty. Tom has slipped to 13th= place (the bad luck is for anyone unfortunate enough to have read any of his letters!) and we have two new fledglings joining the hallowed ranks of '10 letters or more'. Step forward Paddy Campbell and Philip Emery.

Paddy first attained grace in Prog 1982 in 2016 and has gained an impressive 12 letters in total, including 3 in 2018. He has been awarded the Beast code ### - the hash tag is 'One to watch'.

Philip 'Oh you are awful' Emery also had a first letter in 1982 - not the Prog but the year! Philips debut was in Prog 279 and his appearance in the latest Prog, 211, means  has a 36 year Beast footprint. He now has 11 letters including 2 in 2018 - before that he was last seen in Prog 1706 in 2010. He's done it RIGHT again Dad! Philip's Beast Tag is @@@ and no doubt he'll be @t the sherry to celebrate!

2018 was a good year for letters. Good, not great. We saw 120 missives see print - 90 in the Prog across 17 issues and 30 in the Megazine across 6 issues. This beats 2017's 106 letters which boasted (apologised!) a mere 99 Prog letters across 21 issues and a paltry 7 Meg letters across 2 issues.

The chart below details all 33 scribes with 10 or more letters with star letters deciding any ties. This is only for pecking order privileges as the number of letters is what counts, not how good they are. The letters for the year show a healthy balance between old and new writers with around half of our chart participants being active in the last two years.

With the 100 Letters target now in sight the excitement is bound to reach waking point at some time in the New Year. No doubt we'll check back in if there's anything worth reporting!

Happy Christmas or Seasonal Festival to one and all.

Proudhuff

I had hoped this week's double page spread of letter was going to get the sharp incisive wit and charm we've never had before from the Butt'Beast, but to no avail, come on man keep up!! There's eleven readers out there dying to know how they're placed in the years ranking  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: Buttonman on 12 December, 2018, 01:59:59 PM
Philip 'Oh you are awful' Emery also had a first letter in 1982 - not the Prog but the year! Philips debut was in Prog 279 and his appearance in the latest Prog, 211, means  has a 36 year Beast footprint.

211 was before 279 - I think you've got a problem with a time slip (and nothing will ever be the same)*.

Prog 2110 on the other hand...

* no prize for getting the reference.

Buttonman

No idea what you are on about - come up to the lab and see what's on my slab!

Sadly a typo managed to creep in - we usually try for at least 5! The last sighting of Mr Emery was this very week's Prog 2111 so we are both wrong! You more so.

Richard

These compelling annual updates are the only reason I have a broadband connection.

Buttonman

Quote from: Richard on 12 December, 2018, 09:19:40 PM
These compelling annual updates are the only reason I have a broadband connection.

No letter from you since Prog 1946 in 2015! Stretch that broadband and make next year's list! And break that shameful Meg duck too!

Richard

Link Prime

Quote from: Richard on 12 December, 2018, 11:22:20 PM
I'm WWW, which is even worse.

*Holds severed head with 'RRR' tattoo during Quickening pyrotechnics* - There can be only one

Proudhuff

I'venot Paid my stubbier to be treated like this I demand to spoke to the monkey!

A guid new year tae  yin an aw,
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Cheers Tom a warm glow that is a New Year Letters armistice! Don't worry the battle will be on in 2019 with lots of updates. Possibly.

Proudhuff

A letter in both prog and Dreddlines and no crowing virtriol? Matron taking the green ink back?
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Self praise is no praise - but aren't I great?!

Not a Dreddlines Tom - just back to back Progs.

Updates when I have them (when I can be bothered!).

The century is looming large though. But enough about your next birthday, I've got 97 letters!