Main Menu

Red Dwarf is Coming Back

Started by karlos, 18 October, 2019, 03:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacabreMagpie

Yeah the stasis thing doesn't bother me, it's not like the cat race wouldn't have access to that tech if they're capable of building spaceships.

Besides which, I think holding modern Dwarf to a standard of continuity higher than the era of the show it's often negatively compared against is a little unfair. (Though it is of course fun to discuss!)

sheridan

Don't know what you mean - loads of people have their appendix out.  Twice.

Greg M.

That error was easy to solve though - 'DNA' does it for you. The hardest 'error' to do anything with is the changing nature of Lister's relationship with Kochanski, which was a deliberate choice by Rob and Doug, and not a mistake.

von Boom

MacabreMagpie

Anyone else feeling like this might have been the last outing for the Boys From The Dwarf, given current circumstances? Not out of the question that there could be more, by any means, but I can certainly envisage it being the case.

von Boom

That is certainly a possibility. I do hope we get one more series at least, but if it is the last it wasn't the worst way to end.

MacabreMagpie

I'm talking more circumstances than desire to do more.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: karlos on 18 April, 2020, 10:50:32 AM
https://www.cbr.com/red-dwarf-writer-would-love-more-specials

I think they really need to consider an ending, even if they don't want to stop the gravy train just yet.

Or at least, bring Kochanski back.

Greg M.

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 18 April, 2020, 09:01:15 PM
I think they really need to consider an ending, even if they don't want to stop the gravy train just yet.

Or at least, bring Kochanski back.

Only if they make it Clare Grogan.

But you're right - they should have a final episode in mind, even if Doug seems ideologically opposed to such a thing.

MacabreMagpie

Kochanski would have to be Chloe, for me. I think the stuff around her appearance in Back To Earth was truly great so she's earned it.

Mardroid

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 19 April, 2020, 12:47:32 PM
Kochanski would have to be Chloe, for me. I think the stuff around her appearance in Back To Earth was truly great so she's earned it.

Yes. I don't think the actress was ever bad. She irritated fans in series 7 but that was more to do with the character than the actress. I personally didn't have an issue with the character then either. Her reaction made sense concerning the situation she found herself. I think it was the fact that the beloved Rimmer had left the series was as much a factor. She was much more likeable in Series 8 however, although I liked the series as a whole less.

I think many also disliked her because they see her as characteristically very different from Claire Grogan's character, but in the case of Grogan she didn't appear enough or have enough lines for there to really be a character. (No criticism intended of her.) Kochanski is also a major character in the Red Dwarf novel 'Last Human' and aside from being sympathetic to the lads, she is pretty similar to Chloe Annett's portrayal of the slightly posh officer lady. That was written before series 7.

And yeah, she was great in Back to Earth.

MacabreMagpie

Just saw via G&T that Norman has been ill with the virus, currently recovering. Here's hoping that goes as smoothly and quickly as possible for him.