Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Always in motion is the canon. Decide you must, how to enjoy it best.

Professor Bear

JOE SOAP

Tru-Fans know the Rosetta Stone of SW canon is the Holiday Special.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 November, 2020, 02:53:21 PM
Tru-Fans know the Rosetta Stone of SW canon is the Holiday Special.

But which one.

(Now with canonical Jedi Finn! ).

JOE SOAP

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 November, 2020, 12:52:54 AM
As a child I used to dream of how a Star Wars TV series would look. Now I'm watching it, and it's so much better than I could have imagined.

It is the TV sci-fi equivalent of all the best drugs - speed 'cos you're wide awake and laser focussed on the show, ecstasy 'cos you're so happy and in love with everything and everyone you see, and coke 'cos you think it has all been tailored just for you.

Plus it allows you to escape from a shitty world for a little while.

Speaking from experience, I presume...?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Professor Bear

They found a way to improve perfection.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 November, 2020, 01:09:40 AM
It is genuinely phenomenal, though. Tonight is by far the biggest TV night of the year in Ireland, the annual Late Late Toy Show, and when my youngest girl got home from school she announced that her teacher had given the whole class hot chocolate and marshmallow kits to drink while they were watching it.

Alas, this kind gesture was rebuffed, as my brat and her mate announced that they would be watching The Mandalorian instead* (in the event we stretched it to both).

That confused me - I thought you were using Late Late Toy Show as a euphemism for The Mandalorian :)

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 November, 2020, 10:20:53 AM
It's just struck me too that there's a massive Strontium Dog vibe to the whole series - apologies if it's been pointed out before. Mando himself is Alpha in a Dredd suit. Kind of.

It got pointed out when the very first trailer dropped (from a 'oh well, there's no point making a Stront series now').

JOE SOAP

Never was a fan of [spoiler]Thrawn[/spoiler] playing the role of the [spoiler]big bad[/spoiler] in the EU books but I suppose we can now fully expect [spoiler]a blued-up Lars Mikkelsen[/spoiler] to appear down-the-line in a live-action series/[spoiler]Rebels[/spoiler] sequel.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 November, 2020, 10:04:17 AM
I'm not up on these things, but do we know canonically how much time passes over the course of the original trilogy? It feels like there's at least a few months between New Hope and Empire, and Luke seems to be older, wiser, and has a much better command of the Force in Jedi, compared to Empire.

Without looking it all up, six months between ANH and ESB and three years between ESB and RotJ.  Though that seems a long time to leave Solo trapped in carbonite, so maybe I have the time gaps the wrong way around...

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 28 November, 2020, 06:59:04 PM
That confused me - I thought you were using Late Late Toy Show as a euphemism for The Mandalorian :)

I may have to adopt this! The Mandalorian already dwarfs recent efforts like Solo and RotS in the arsom toys it has spawned.

PsychoGoatee

It's fun to see the Star Wars talk and positive stuff in here. That said, I only saw the first couple episodes of the first season, and the beginning of the third episode at a friend's house. And I stopped watching, didn't get back to it. I did not like it at all, the stuff like the learning to ride the big nutty animal scene, the style of the humor and direction, the gags with the main character (just cutting to his helmet to make us laugh it seems...), baby yoda... none of it captured my imagination or delighted me at all.

The first episode where he goes into a bar to show us what he's about. There have been countless better versions of that scene. The first episode of the 90s anime Berserk is a great one. It just had this tepid detached lightly humorous tone that I don't really dig. And I love cranky and untalkative characters, but the first couple episodes for me did nothing to make the main character one I'd like to watch. The Witcher for example did a similar idea, the cranky sellsword with a heart of gold (I assume). But that one really worked for me.

I love space westerns, Trigun, Outlaw Star, you name it. The first couple episode to me didn't really feel like that, plus I don't get the benefit of rogue-ish charming protagonists. I get Sam the Eagle from the Muppets essentially, and a nutty sidekick kid. That said, as 2000AD shows us, a couple initially ridiculous or unappealing (to me) characters could end up being great, in a great tale.

Anyways, that's just sharing my experience with it, I know it's a show everybody digs, and I'm genuinly happy that people dig it. And I hear about it a lot naturally. So I'm gonna give it another try sometime. But man I did not dig those first two episodes of season 1. Or the beginning of the third episode. The only character I liked was Carl Weathers. But, I'll give it another go sometime.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 November, 2020, 07:01:54 PM
Never was a fan of [spoiler]Thrawn[/spoiler] playing the role of the [spoiler]big bad[/spoiler] in the EU books but I suppose we can now fully expect [spoiler]a blued-up Lars Mikkelsen[/spoiler] to appear down-the-line in a live-action series/[spoiler]Rebels[/spoiler] sequel.

Fair enough; suppose there's no possible way I could have been the first here to note the similarity to SD.  But I was the first to comment on the Avatar / Firekind thing, fair play to me.  I'd give myself a A+ on being the first to comment on that.

PsychoGoatee, your opinion is wrong:  Consider yourself cancelled.  Actually I still don't quite understand the concept of cancel culture, so respect to you for speaking against a near-total consensus - I wasn't quite sold after the first couple of episodes but it grew on me.  In a similar way I really didn't get Nikolai Dante till around the Tsar Wars bits, and it took me a full season to start getting into both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

None of which is to say that you WILL or HAVE TO end up liking it if you keep at it - there are few things more annoying than the type of person who affects staggering-backwards, open-mouthed astonishment when you didn't like or watch a film they like.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"