Main Menu

Worzel Gummidge Specials

Started by von Boom, 10 December, 2019, 06:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

Looking forward to this. I have extremely fond memories of the originals, and feel sure this is safe in Mackenzie Crook's hands. Detectorists was great. The make-up work alone looks brilliant.

von Boom

When I saw Crook was both relieved and excited. I think Crook will handle this very well.

Rately

It looks great, and I really have to make time over Christmas to watch The Detectorists!

sheridan

TordelBack

Quote from: Rately on 11 December, 2019, 09:55:58 AM
It looks great, and I really have to make time over Christmas to watch The Detectorists!

You should.  Metal Detector Folk are the hereditary enemy of my people, anathema and excommunicant, and Crook & Jones made me love two of them, and maybe even understand them a little.

Despite the Pertwee factor I never liked Worzel Gummidge BitD (I found it too sad and Aunt Sally was just a towering bitch, whose innate tragedy I didn't appreciate as a kid), but I have faith in Crook.

Rately

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 December, 2019, 12:14:23 PM

You should.  Metal Detector Folk are the hereditary enemy of my people, anathema and excommunicant, and Crook & Jones made me love two of them, and maybe even understand them a little.

Despite the Pertwee factor I never liked Worzel Gummidge BitD (I found it too sad and Aunt Sally was just a towering bitch, whose innate tragedy I didn't appreciate as a kid), but I have faith in Crook.

Read nothing but good things, and praised to the moon by a lot of folk I'd trust.

If it is on the Iplayer, I'll set aside this Saturday and have a wee look!

Proudhuff

well worth it  :thumbsup:
looking forward the telling bone and electricky from Crook  :D
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Did anyone catch this?

I enjoyed it despite most of the Pertwee edges being shaved off.

Random musings HERE!

dweezil2

Quote from: Buttonman on 28 December, 2019, 11:20:30 PM
Did anyone catch this?

I enjoyed it despite most of the Pertwee edges being shaved off.

Random musings HERE!

Yeah, loved it!

Hope we get more!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

rogue69

I found it to be a lovely and simple story that moved along at it's own pace, such a nice chance from all the fast paced, aggressive shows on most of the time. Hope they make of the original books into a series

von Boom

They were wonderful. Sure it wasn't Pertwee but Crook made it his own and it worked beautifully. I hope to they do more. Crook is a master of gentle and engaging stories.

M.I.K.

Yep. Really quite liked that.

Weirdly, I got more of a 1970s vibe from bits of it than the version from 1979, probably due to the combination of environmental message, freaky folk music and Michael Palin's Green Man aka Jack Woodwose.

Rackle

I was reluctant to watch it as I had fond memories of the original, and don't normally like the concept of reboots of older programmes. However, I watched the first two episodes and surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it. The new Worzel Gummage is not trying to be a clone of the original, and it has a very different, gentle pace which really made me smile.
Aunt Sally was scary, and I like how in this version she is not Worzel's love interest.
I love the little expressions that this Worzel uses, like "Muddy Boots" as a swear word, and how he called rhododendrons as rumdedumdums. Very sweet.
I really liked it even though I thought I was going to hate it.