Main Menu

Growing for the Apocalypse

Started by shaolin_monkey, 19 March, 2020, 02:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

A bit of a tongue in cheek title, but you get the idea.  Food security is looking a little dodgy at the mo, and it wouldn't help to have a backup.

Any gardeners out there who are thinking of growing veg in the back garden, on the patio, from window boxes etc etc?

I don't have particularly green fingers myself, but my partner is pretty on top of this kind of stuff, and I can detail our layout and supplies for home grown fruit, veg and herbs if anyone is interested.  Also keen to hear any top tips I can pass on to my partner!

von Boom

Given the situation everyone should be given some allotment space; even if they have to dig up parks and other public lands to do it.

paddykafka

That nice documentary 'The Walking Dead' frequently features allotment scenes. Bound to be some helpful tips to be found there?

sheridan

Quote from: von Boom on 19 March, 2020, 02:37:03 PM
Given the situation everyone should be given some allotment space; even if they have to dig up parks and other public lands to do it.

Go for the golf courses!

Professor Bear

Golf is a mental illness.  Nationalising the land is a public service in more ways than one.

Trooper McFad

I wouldn't say I'm green fingered as I've had a fair few disasters over the years but I will try and and offer some tips if I can.
Slugs are the worst for me but the blue pellets which were the best to control them have been or about to be outlawed so I have went down the beer trap route - found out they are fussy B's and shops own brands don't work as well as Smiths, Mcewans or Guinness (don't know if we will still get beer in the apocalypse 🙁) Overall beer traps do work to an extent just got to keep emptying & filling them up again. There are alternatives but not tried them yet.

I grow things I like to eat but might have to change to grow for bulk.
Peas are good but to get a decent crop you need a lot of plants. I saw your pics and if that fence is south facing it would be ideal to create a boarder at least 18" wide and with some netting on the fence and let the peas grow up.
If you can afford it or even better can scavenge more scaffolding boards then I'd make more raised beds like in your pictures.
Living in Scotland I've found the best potato crops for the space I have are 2nd earlys (ready by mid July).
The best carrot crops I've had were growing in a 1mt tall barrel with the top cut off - this stops carrot fly who can't fly at that height- in an experiment as I love them I've since changed the barrel to grow raspberries and last & year (the 2nd year) I got a decent crop 👍🏻
"Salads" are fairly easy just keep those slugs at bay
I've never had success with onions so if anyone has tips for those I'm all ears.
Brassicas are good especially sprouting broccoli but that's more a spring crop so if you have the space you could try some cabbage but watch out for those cabbage white butterflies 😡 they've ruined many a cabbage- fine netting can keep them at bay just make sure you peg it down.
Another pest you have to watch out for especially with container gardening is vine weevils - the grubs will eat through your roots.
That's all I can think of just now but if you need any more info I'll try my best to answer.
I'm just hoping there is still enough seeds at my local garden centre this weekend so I can start this seasons crops
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

von Boom

Quote from: sheridan on 19 March, 2020, 05:22:16 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 19 March, 2020, 02:37:03 PM

Go for the golf courses!
Perfect! They've been well tended for years so the soil should be very fertile. Lots of lovely potatoes.

The Doctor Alt 8

You might also want to invest in some protection for your crops. I have had my potatoes stolen... (not a euphemism)

The Legendary Shark

A word of advice, if you'll indulge me...

Most people give up on self-sufficiency because it's next to impossible. Think of it, instead, as a process of moving towards self-sufficiency. To my mind, the goal is to de-centralise as much as possible, both for yourself and your community. Grow some food between you and swap, use farmers' markets and local shops, exchange your time and services with each other, develop a local currency, form little groups to deal with all the things that come up, join the Agora - things like that. We can't do everything for ourselves - that's why there's so many of us.

Aim for somewhere between self-sufficiency and centralisation - I think that's a good and practical ambition.

*walks off-stage to the rapturous applause of his own footsteps*

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Doctor Alt 8

And remember that if you do enough of these activities they are taxable ( as you will have to pay income tax). I don't know the details but in is not possible to completely live off the grid so to speck

Tiplodocus

Onions, shallots and garlic all in the ground. I've started digging the remaining raised beds for spuds and all other stuff.  Mrs Tips is also getting the greenhouse ready for the tomatoes (We have the cost down to around £27.50 per tomato now) but it was really hard finding somewhere open to get grobags.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Mrs IP bought a load of wood and a pile or dirt. So I guess we're heading for the growing lark.

The Legendary Shark

Don't forget to compost your grass clippings and food waste, kids! And how about a composting toilet? How about sharing a goat with your neighbours? Think - what would Tom and Barbara do?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Greg M.

von Boom

Quote from: Greg M. on 05 April, 2020, 02:57:37 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 April, 2020, 02:54:53 PM
Think - what would Tom and Barbara do?

Run upstairs for a shag, usually.
Not to mention a quick clutch and fumble with Margo.

I don't have space to grow anything but I have been testing out recipes. I've used this bread roll recipe from the Tesco website twice now and it's worked beautifully both times.

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/really-easy-bread-rolls.html

I may have to set up a home bakery.