Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - Massimo Belardinelli or Peter Doherty

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 November, 2020, 06:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Another one for me that's all about contrast. Massimo's genius was in this world building his fluid and unrestrained creation of landscape and alien worlds and possibly even more memorably the beasts, monsters and truckers that inhabit them. Peter Doherty on the other hand had a calm, earthy solidity to his art. He makes things lived in and characters alive and real.

Alas we still have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to Round 2, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Massimo Belardinelli - more info

Or

Peter Doherty - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Friday 13th November.

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

It has to be Massimo Belardinelli, for so much alien wonder. A true artist.

This is a commission piece posted on the board from back in the day:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

Peter Doherty has done some brilliant stuff, but for me between these two it has to be Massimo Belardinelli, for his warp-spasm and so may weird and wonderful alien creations. And The Dead.

sintec

Belardinelli - of all the artists I've discovered since signing up for the Ultimate Collection (which was my entry point to the world of 2000AD) he's the one who has left the biggest impression. Absolutely love his work. I don't think Ace Trucking could have worked with any other artist (I fully expected to hate it tbh) and his Slaine's are dripping in atmosphere.

TordelBack

Doherty is a marvelous storyteller, with expressive faces and an unmatched eye for atmospheric colours, but Belardinelli is the Maestro, one of the greatest comics artists that ever lived. He's the reason I fell in love with 2000AD in the first place.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Belardinelli! All day, every day. In fact you could probably run this as Belardinelli versus Michelangelo and Massimo would still win. Man was a true genius.

SBT

Bolt-01

This is another really harsh round.

Doherty is without doubt one of my favourite artists and a constant presence on my Zarjaz cover wish-list, but he's up against a master. I have to vote for Massimo Bellardinelli.

He was the first droid to move me to tears with his (and writer Alan Grant's) work.

rogue69

AlexF

I LOVE Doherty's art, even in the early somewhat ropey years on Young Death.
But this draw is one-sided for a reason. You just can't beat the endorphin rush that this young comics fan got when first diving into Mean Team, Ace Trucking and those lushous Celtic landscapes in early Slaine...

Massimo Belardinelli.

JayzusB.Christ

Whatever about how he drew Sláine as a character, everything else in the strip was absolutely perfect.  Belardinelli gets my vote. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

Belardinelli is one of my all-time favourites -  unrestrained imagination flowed freely from his pen and brush. A creator of sheer beauty, ridiculous fun, and, with The Dead, nightmarish visions.

Link Prime