Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - Simon Bisley or Jock

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 November, 2020, 06:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Bisley. I've never been over enamoured by Jock's Dredd I'm afraid, and while Bisley is nowhere near my favourite artist- and other than The Horned God (which is nowhere near my favourite Slaine) and his issues of Hellblazer wouldnt sit anywhere close to my top tier- his impact on the prog is not open to argument.

SBT

Magnetica

The amazing thing for me about Bisley is that he only did two series for the Prog plus the "heavy metal Dredds" (which are not to everyone's taste), but those two series are so iconic that he is still revered to this day.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 11 November, 2020, 11:46:01 AM
Bisley. I've never been over enamoured by Jock's Dredd I'm afraid, and while Bisley is nowhere near my favourite artist- and other than The Horned God (which is nowhere near my favourite Slaine) and his issues of Hellblazer wouldnt sit anywhere close to my top tier- his impact on the prog is not open to argument.

SBT

I'm still not quite sure why they chose Bisley for Hellblazer - his macho, in-your-face style wouldn't have jumped out at me as a perfect match for a brooding, low-key horror strip.  I also prefer his original Horned God style - or styles, given that his painting changed quite a bit as the story went on - to the modern version he used for Book of Scars.

None of which is to take away from the work he did for the prog; it was absolutely groundbreaking, and it wasn't his fault that so many lesser imitators came after him.  Plus, he was the first to draw female nipples in 2000ad, round about the time I was just starting to appreciate them.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

About to shut this one down, closes in the morning and have to say while I knew individual decisions would be tight I'm surprised by how clear the actual vote for favourite is. If you want to change that get your vote in today.

Greg M.

I'm surprised you're surprised! This was only ever going one way.

matty_ae

Magnetica

I'm not surprised either. Bisley is clearly one of the most revered 2000AD artists of all time and the work he did was so iconic. It's going to take a real big hitter to beat him.

Having said that I know who I would vote for over him, but that's possibly a few rounds off yet, depending on how the draw goes obviously.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 November, 2020, 06:59:01 AM
I'm surprised you're surprised! This was only ever going one way.

I think the result was never in doubt, but I expected it to be closer. Maybe on the basis of when I came back to the Prog in 2006  we were at the tale end of Jock's brief time with Tharg and he was much loved. The Biz on the otherhand was a bit of a distant memory so that's squewed my impression of how loved Jock is in these parts.

Mind My vote might have surprised you as well if I'd made one!

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 November, 2020, 09:13:57 AM
More often than not, your vote is the opposite of mine, so I'd assume you'd be Team Jock!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 November, 2020, 09:33:19 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 November, 2020, 09:13:57 AM
More often than not, your vote is the opposite of mine, so I'd assume you'd be Team Jock!

I was curious about this and so have just done a very unscientific count of poll on the home page (you can always tell when I'm not enjoying a job I'm doing 'at' work!) and by gigger your right. It was 5 agree, 7 disagree. How interesting.

We'll always have Paul Marshall at least!

BPP

I've never taken to bisley after he left 2000ad but the ABC / Slaine one-two cannot be beaten by Jocks great but small body of work.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd