Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - John Ridgway or Carlos Ezquerra

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 November, 2020, 06:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

If I didnt vote for the king, for Carlos, I wouldnt be able to sleep nights. So Carlos.

SBT

paddykafka

Funt Solo

I love John "Raggedy Man" Ridgway's work - not least on the highly atmospheric JD stip I just mentioned.

But then there was that time that Dredd sliced open a strato-V with a stub gun. And, you know, thousands of other moments involving thwup guns, number four cartridges, Gronkses, der happy stick, those beetle-like H-wagons, the bumpy outline trademark, tough hombres & tough mujeres. It's Carlos Ezquerra for me.

El es un gigante!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Southstreeter

Carlos, and I'd vote that for all the other runoffs involving other artists if that was allowed.

Greg M.

I love John Ridgway's work - I own several pages of it, including one of his Dead Man covers, and it is stunning stuff.

But...

I can't vote against Carlos yet.

Colin YNWA

Greg M.

That was really hard - The Dead Man is one of my favourite things ever. I think I love it even more than Necropolis - and I love Necropolis. There are probably only three people I'd vote for over Carlos - and only one of them has any chance of beating him.

Magnetica

Quote from: Greg M. on 16 November, 2020, 05:11:39 PM
That was really hard - The Dead Man is one of my favourite things ever. I think I love it even more than Necropolis - and I love Necropolis. There are probably only three people I'd vote for over Carlos - and only one of them has any chance of beating him.

There are two people I would vote for over Carlos, but one of them has been knocked out already. But that leaves the absolute master.....

Greg M.

I suspect your absolute master is different from my absolute master. At the start of the tournament, when it was discussed whether Carlos should be left out because he'd beat everyone else too easily, I and others said no, keep him in, it won't be so cut and dried. I still think having him in it was the right move, but the idea of voting against him - just about the most beloved of all 2000AD creators - now seems... kind of wrong.

Magnetica

Yes might well be - we shall have to see 😉.  But what I will say, is I have know all along who I will ultimately vote for in both tourneys. But the classic one was much more cut and dried than the current artists tourney.

Magnetica

Greg M.

Yes, I rather thought I had. And I suspect I voted against your #2 as well, and he got put out.

Magnetica

JayzusB.Christ

God almighty, I've really struggled with this one.  I love Carlos; he was absolutely one of the best and was as integral to the creation and success of 2000ad as Pat Mills or John Wagner.  Thing is, I loved his work, but he wasn't my favourite artist.

I kind of hate myself for this, and might not do it if I didn't think Carlos was going to win this round by a landslide, but I'm going to forget about Junker and go for Ridgeway.  For the best Cursed Earth stories, and above all Summer Magic - he brought exactly the right kind of folk horror, and, well, summer magic that was required for such a unique strip (not counting the second series, which was kind of exactly the same).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"