Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid Round 1 - Clint Langley or Brendan McCarthy

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 November, 2020, 06:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Let's see if I can introduce Brendan McCarthy's work here without the use of the word psychedelic... oh dammit just used it didn't I. Anyway Brendan fights with John Higgins (no I mean they literally fight have you seen them in a room together*) over who is Tharg's longest serving Droid. He's don't so much outside of Tharg's realm it always feels like a treat when he comes back, which he's done increasingly of late to gift us his hyper-imaginative psychdel... psychedel... psych... colourful art. Clint Langley uses techniques that I've seen from no other artist either within or outside Tharg's kingdom. Quite how manages to make the futuristic work of Mars attacked by a multitude of killer robots seem like a photo with the dark and gritty filter on escapes me.

Alas we still have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to Round 2, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Clint Langley - more info

OR

Brendan McCarthy - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Saturday 21st November.

*I never have and this is of course poppycock!

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

Greg M.

Brendan McCarthy, and then some. That brief period in the  400s and 500s, when he was popping up semi-regularly, was a definite artistic treat.

So, if Kraken's a Judda, why isn't he 9-foot tall?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Grud, this is the easiest one yet. Langley. Books of Invasions is one of the greatest comic series there has ever been- and Langley completely changed the medium in a way that could reasonably called a paradigm shift, along the way.
So yeah, Langley.

SBT

Magnetica

I can't quite work out if Langley's art is genius or not. Whilst it is beautiful to look at, it's just too real.

I wasn't too keen on Zaucer of Zilk, but Brendan McCarthy did the art on one of my favourite Judge Dredd episodes, Bring Me The Head of Judge Dredd (along with Brett Ewins), so he gets my vote.

Bolt-01

ming

Brendan McCarthy.  A no-brainer for me and there are only a handful of artists that would give me pause for thought here.  McCarthy was conjoined with Brett Ewins to some degree in early Progs but stylistically his contributions were always instantly identifiable and he soon evolved to become one of the most distinctive and boldest artists in 2000AD.  I know not everyone appreciates his style (another of those who's an 'artist's artist') but I've always loved his work and in terms of imagination, character design and weird concepts he's hard to beat.  Plus, he delivered my favourite Prog cover (definitely) and (probably) Dredd Story with Riders on the Storm.  So ner.

TordelBack

There's basically nothing that McCarthy has ever drawn or designed* that I haven't loved, so my vote is assured. I'll mention 'Atlantis' as one of my favourite Dredds, but I might also note that his 'She-Devils!' (with Brett and Riot) ranks comfortably alongside Gibson's 'Amazing Maze Dumoir' as the downright sexiest art to ever appear in the comic. It was a bright Christmas morning indeed when that one popped out of the stocking.

Brendan McCarthy.

abelardsnazz

Link Prime

I'm a huge fans of Clint's work, but it has to be Brendan McCarthy.

Tomwe

Hm, I usually consider myself a Langley denier, and McCarthy's last strip left me pretty cold.
With thoughts, then to his vintage work I'm gonna plug for Brendan McCarthy

AlexF

I do appreciate Langley's constant shifts in style, and when his digtially painted photo-shoots work they work so damn well - 'sweird that he can make completely impossible things (like war robots or giant, semi-sentient cranes) look real, but sometimes makes real things (err, people) look a little unreal. And boy does he have a body of work behind him.

But it's kinda hard to get away from McCarthy's absolute nailing of the 'shock of the new' aestehtic that he brings to 2000AD, even to this day (although it's not quite as shocking as it once was).

Somehow in typing this up I've talked myself round to Langley. From Dinosty all the way to ABC Warriors, there's just too much awesomeness in there, even though I'd take Zaucer of Zilk over Books of Invasions any day.

JayzusB.Christ

I'd take Langley's linework over his Photoshop stuff any day. His art on Sexy Ostriches left me cold, but I really liked the work he did on that Sláine Robin Hood thingy - I liked it better before he recoloured it, in fact.  I preferred his Book of Scars tribute to Belardinelli to the other episode of it he did. 

But, while I'm not quite as taken by McCarthy's newer stuff, he was absolutely groundbreaking in the 80s.  Sooner or Later was like nothing the prog had seen before, and his Dredds were absolutely unique too.  There was a full-colour one-off in one of the annuals, called She-Devils I think, that perfectly captured the frenetic, neon vibe of the city, and his ultraviolent, Judda-based, episodes of Oz were possibly my favourite ones of that epic.  Not sure if the brilliant Skin counts as House of Tharg, but either way up, Brendan McCarthy gets my vote.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

credo

Brendan McCarthy

I know it's not 2000ad, but the 'Best of Milligan and McCarthy' Hardcover is a comicbook jewel on my bookcase.

Link Prime

Quote from: credo on 18 November, 2020, 10:51:43 AM
'Best of Milligan and McCarthy' Hardcover is a comicbook jewel on my bookcase.

Desert island reading.