Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT droid Round 1 - INJ Culbard or Simon Davis

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 November, 2020, 06:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Sorry folks two absolute stinkers to wrap the week up with. We'll need a quick break over the weekend to recover from today's two votes. Come back Monday as we wrap this up...

Okay this is tough. Very different artists here. INJ has clear, open art that in the world of Brink somehow uses colour and form to make the world tight and claustrophobic. His minimal use of line makes the acting of his characters second to none. Simon Davis on the other paint is a portrait artist who shows that in every single panel he delivers. He revitalised Slaine for many and has done so, so much for Tharg.

Alas we still have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to Round 2, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

INJ Culbard- more info

Or

Simon Davis - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Monday 23rd  November.

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

Greg M.

Davis. His recent-ish run on Slaine was the best strip-work of his career. It's the sort of thing he should have been painting all along - get the man away from tech and into greenery.

broodblik

Goodness gracious how do you choose both has such unique and different styles. Both are awesome. I am choosing Davis purely for his work on Slaine.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

A tough choice. Culbard has really come into his own on Brink and I hope no-one else ever draws it. It's my favourite modern 2000AD strip and his art is a big part of that.

But he is up against an artist with one of the most distinctive styles in 2000AD. For me he is the number one Sinister Dexter artist. And so for Finny's blue face and red nose, it can only be Simon Davis.

TordelBack

Now you're just drokkin' with us, Colin.  I trust you had fully accredited independent observers present when you made this 'draw'.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 November, 2020, 08:18:38 AM
Now you're just drokkin' with us, Colin.  I trust you had fully accredited independent observers present when you made this 'draw'.

Only the dark voices on my shoulder...

ming

Horrible draw.  Simon Davis has been one of the staples (not that Staples) of 2000AD for an insanely long time and just gets better and better; his painted work is so phenomenally good that it doesn't seem fair.  Having said that, I'm voting for Ian Culbard.  His less-is-more style won me over instantly when I first saw it and his work on Brass Sun and Brink have had me hooked from the get-go. His work has a deceptive simplicity but, like D'Israeli's, belies the layering and sheer graft that goes into it.  It's hard to make good art look that simple.

A sublime panel from Brink that I've used as shorthand for 2020 before now:

broodblik

This round is basic a class of styles, both glorious in its own way:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Oh for cryin' out loud. REALLY?!

INJ Culbard.

So sorry Simon, I love your work.

Link Prime

abelardsnazz

Simon Davis for... everything he's done. It's all brilliant. So is Ian though.

Tomwe

I love Davis' style (own a page or two somewhere), but I'd rather read INJ Culbard.

JayzusB.Christ

Simon Davis for me - nobody did Sinister and Dexter like him.  Also he brought to Sláine a certain type of atmosphere not seen since the McMahon / Belardinelli days, despite the lacklustre script (sorry, Pat).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

I'm going to vote Simon Davis, for SinDex, Stone Island, AmpneySláine and for that fox in Thistlebone. We're so lucky to have an artist of his calibre working for the comic at all, never mind so frequently.

But I don't want anyone believing for one second that I think Culbard is anything less than the dog's proverbials, and an absolute gift to fresh storytelling, pure design and 2000AD in general. He draws my favourite current strip after all. This forced betrayal is Colin's fault, not mine.