Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - Steve Dillon or Fraser Irving

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 November, 2020, 06:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So we wrap things up with just two final votes this week before we end Round 1 and go on hiatus for something a little different over X-Mas as a bit of fun (I hope).

As with so many of Tharg's Droids these two have gone onto big things once Tharg set them free. Before though they left 2000ad with some wonderful memories. Steve Dillon did some definitive Dredd's, gave us the best Mean Arena, redefined Rogue and so much more. Few Art Droid are held in as much affection. Fraser Irving brought a style that is hard to define and utterly unique. I want to talk about deep swirling black and white shapes... but then I reflect in the colour he used to define form in different strips... utterly unique and quite wonderful.

Alas we still have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to Round 2, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Steve Dillon - more info

Or

Frazer Irving - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Thursday 26th  November.

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

Sean SD

abelardsnazz

TordelBack

Well, shoot.

I absolutely love Irving's work, I automatically pick up anything that he's drawn, something I can say about very few artists, and I have fond memories of him as a poster in the Usenet days and his battle not to be confused with a certain holocaust-denier. His unique style of looming figures, emotion-twisted faces and blocks of ink and colour defines the turn-of-the-century period I returned to 2000AD, with Prog 2001's Necronauts the first wholly new series I remember being blown away by, which was followed by basically everything else he drew, particular favourites being A Love Like Blood, Judge Death and Simping Detective. He even made a success of following Ranson on Button Man, which barely seemed possible.

But Steve Dillon. They aren't making any more of those. I'll save any further remarks for the next round, but Dillon has my vote.

Magnetica

Bolt-01

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

ming

I love Frazer's work but at his Block Mania best there are few to beat Steve Dillon so my vote goes to him.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Steve Dillon. An artist who seemed to leap, fully-formed, onto the comic page at the age of- what was it? 12? and never looked back.

SBT

AlexF

Ah man. That Dillon drew one of my fave versions of Dredd, and made some terrible Rogue Trooper very readable. But you know, his overall 2000AD output is not top tier thrills. But that Irving, on the other hand, he made the Prog sing, and I've gotta give him my vote for being such a vital spark of thrills at the precise moment when I might have lost interest. He made Necronauts scary as well as funny; he made From Grace chilling as well as pretentious. And I can't help but wonder if his inventiveness helped push Rennie and Spurrier into trying that bit harder and becoming better writers as a result.

Frazer Irving.

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Steve Dillon, who I've always thought of as the mid-ground between the clean lines of Bolland and the grit of Ezquerra. And just as great as either.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: broodblik on 23 November, 2020, 02:00:34 PM
Steve on Dredd:

Oh Grud, I was just about to vote for Frazer until you posted that.  I'd forgotten how good Steve was in those days (for my money, way better than he was on Preacher, the Punisher et al).  So now I'm back in the arena of the undecided.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"