Main Menu

Realm of the Damned Trilogy

Started by Barrington Boots, 29 January, 2021, 12:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

I hadn't realised this series had continued beyond the run in the Meg, but someone gave me the second book due to it's connection to heavy metal and I've since revisited book1 and am now reading book3.

I seem to remember it didn't go over too well in the Meg at the time.. I remembered it being a bit joyless and nasty but on a reread I've enjoyed it: although it certainly is a bit joyless and nasty, it's also got some really interesting / cool ideas and there's enough change in the concept from book to book, whilst retaining the overall narrative, to make it a compelling read. I'm a big fan of Pye Parr's artwork and his interpretation of both creatures classic and horribly messed up, and the use of colour to draw attention to various things is excellent. .

The problem though - I do think the use of intentionally highly vulgar language in the strip is a definite detriment. I don't care about the language itself per se but it just seems a bit - well - puerile, like a naff attempt to shock. It sticks out far more than the gore or nudity and I'm not sure why Alec Worley thought including it would be a good idea unless it's channelling the sort of heavy metal aesthetic of the goregrind bands I was in as a younger man where the intention was to be a bit puerile and shocking.

Related to that the bold claim of it being a horror-metal hybrid is really tenuous - aside from it being a BM band who kickstart the story off and some bands being drawn into the strip there's no real connection at all. That's not a criticism of the strip itself, just that I've see it marketed as being a really 'metal' comic.

Anyone else stuck with the series?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Bolt-01

Yup - I've not long read book 2 and book 3 is probably the best part of a year away in my reading pile.

I enjoyed the second book for its exploration of the past and it relating to the first book. I get the feeling that both Alec and Pye are thoroughly enjoying working on this series.

Yeah, the language is a bit rough, and they could easily turn it down, but it is also lovely to see pages so well laid out and the lettering being such an integral part of the work.

TordelBack

I loved the series that ran in the Meg, right up there with Demon Nik, Lily McKenzie and Numbercruncher for best use of that slot. I initially found the 'trying-hard-to-shock' off-putting, but wasn't long coming round to the idea that it all actually worked as a piece. Will definitely have to track down Book 2 When All This Is Over.

IndigoPrime

I might have to give it another go, but it felt a bit out of place in the Meg and like it was trying too hard. On that basis, it did feel a bit like a kid running around going FUCK to rile up everyone around them. Perhaps the general theme didn't click either, which is a pity given the creators involved. Oddly, I'd happily see the return of the other series TordelBack mentioned though.

Looking at Lilly McKenzie, that seems to have largely vanished from the face of the internet. Bah.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 29 January, 2021, 12:56:45 PM
lovely to see pages so well laid out and the lettering being such an integral part of the work.

100% this!
The art is lovely - I'm tempted to see if I can find an original page of this somewhere.

IP / Tordel, book 2 is well worth a look if you get the chance. Reading it and then re-reading book 1 cemented my enjoyment of it a lot more I think.
You're a dark horse, Boots.