Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Art process question for Simon - for Dante you're always (I think) listed alongside a colourist. For your covers, there's no colourist listed. Do you colour the covers?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

I have only one question would Simon like to do another series in the world of Dante (and I am no talking about bringing Nikolai back)? If the case whom would Simon like to write it or will he take on the pen as well?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

One for Edie / both of you - you're perfectly welcome to keep your private lives to yourselves of course, but how did you meet?

Illyana

sheridan, broodbilk and Funt Solo: your questions have been logged for a future episode! I like listener questions, and we'll ask those the next time we have extra minutes at the end.

Thank you all so much!

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 25 April, 2021, 08:26:37 PM
One for Edie / both of you - you're perfectly welcome to keep your private lives to yourselves of course, but how did you meet?

Obviously in a ballroom with at least one of them swinging from a chandelier. Also: champagne.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 April, 2021, 10:17:20 PM

Obviously in a ballroom with at least one of them swinging from a chandelier. Also: champagne.

And which of you was wearing the longest beard? ;-)

Barrington Boots

Some good questions there. I'd ask - How do you guys feel about the way Dante ended? I've always felt it's reasonably open ending was a bit of a shame. Although perhaps that's one for much later in the podcast.
Alternately: who is your favourite character in the series, and why is it not Dante himself?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Illyana

This is a very sweet question we do not mind answering, and likely will when we get to the 40th anniversary issue for reasons that may not be obvious to all. In our next episode, I mention why.

Also that will likely be one of our final podcast episodes so anyone who listens that far will likely be kind about us yammering on about ourselves.

Illyana

Funt Solo

Thanks for answering my Q about the break in art duties, Simon - I understand life happened. Well, not to be too gushy, but you were missed by this reader and it was great to see you back.

I always felt that you and John Burns complemented each other well and both provided great, epic art for the series - so it wasn't that I was sad to see Burns doing the work - just that I always wanted you both to be taking turns.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Fun listen as ever. This is Dante's lowest point at the start of Tour of Duty, I think. Not only is he an ass but he's an idiot to not think things would go badly.
Really enjoyed the question segment too, some real insight there - especially the stuff about how Simon draws women as realistic characters. It's nice to know Simon's so proud of his achievements on Dante.

So, why is the Imperial Palace gold? I reckon it's been temporarily gilded with the entire wealth of a noble house, or other hapless bunch of goons, who just got crushed by the Tsar. The gold is to be later scraped off and chucked into space or something, because the Tsar is a bellend and likes to make a point.

Colin YNWA

Finished listening to the latest and thanks you for answering my questions, lovely get insight into the things I ponder as I listen so its really appreciate... got new one at the end of this - you got me started don't blame me! Oh and I'm past my prime, I remember my prime and I couldn't survive it now so while I am past it I'm relieved I am and happy I had it, it was a fun prime!

I've read the Carrie Fisher article and have to assume it was very dusty in the room when I did...ahem... wonderful piece.

Episode as fun as normal and very much looking forward to the next one as Lulu is a favourite of mine.

As for the No Prize I was going for a similar tack as Barrington Boots suggesting it Sci-Fi Future Easter and it is indeed meant to be a Faberge Egg. The Tsar did it temporarily to celebrate but since war was closing also as sign of the endless resources he had at his disposal.

But since Barrington get there first I'll go with my alternative its actually Bubo (the mechanical owl from Clash of the Titans) overlooking a scale model of St Petersburg.

Oh and finally one question I forgot. I seem to recall Robbie Morrison said that he wished he'd done Dante without the sci-fi trappings (apologise if I'm miss remembering there see previous comment about being past my prime) - how does Simon feel that would change the story and would it have worked as well?

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 April, 2021, 01:17:17 PM
As for the No Prize I was going for a similar tack as Barrington Boots suggesting it Sci-Fi Future Easter and it is indeed meant to be a Faberge Egg. The Tsar did it temporarily to celebrate but since war was closing also as sign of the endless resources he had at his disposal.

I think your idea is a lot more cheerful than mine Colin!
Plus Bubo reference  :thumbsup:

jrdd

Really enjoying the podcast, and re-reading a Dante story every week.  With all the talk of wine merchants in this week's Tour of Duty, I'm thinking I'm going to have to upgrade my official podcast drink from a cup of tea to something a little more appropriate...

http://www.hardyswines.com/ukir/wines/range/crest/crest-chardonnay/

:D

Bad Andy

I've just finished The Romanov Empire and a quick question to the Pod - do we think John Burns misunderstood Andreas' crest powers? When he draws him, it's like a sub-par Dante bio-blades. Or was there a conscious decision by Robbie to de-power him a little?