Main Menu

Colin MacNeil or Simon Bisley - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 14

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 May, 2021, 06:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

I'm with MacNeil block. Love his style of art. Plus he's contributed so much!

Colin 4 Simon 1
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

sintec

There's no doubt that Bisley produced a couple of legendary strips for Tharg. But then so has MacNeil in fact more than just a couple.

MacNeil 3 : Bisley 2

milstar

Damn, another tough one after Frazer vs Steve match. 

Heartbroken, I give to Colin 3, Simon 2 (sorry Simon). Colin MacNeil work in America was nothing like I ever seen at that point and he bought me with that all the way. Simon's work in Horned God and Batman stints are no less than brilliant and if he continued drawing Batman, I am sure he'd be one of the definite Batman artist for sure.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

credo

MacNeil 3 vs Bisley 2

As much as Bisley's reimagining of Slaine and ABC Warriors (especially Hammerstein and Joe) meant to young me, MacNeil's Dredd work, Chopper and his title as "Only person who can hold a candle to Ezquerra when it comes to drawing Johnny Alpha", means that he has to take the win.

I, Cosh

Obviously, Bisley's ABC Warriors is like nothing else and I didn't much care for MacNeil's early work. However, Simon's flame quickly fizzled out under the weight of its own hype while Colin has spent the last twenty restless years getting better and better.

MacNeil 4 - 1 Bisley
We never really die.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

BPP

4-1 Collin.

He really is the Current big gun and what a time to play him.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Rogue Judge

paddykafka

Colin YNWA

We have a day on this one - so if you haven't vote yet between these two titans of the comic and indeed comic world now is the time to do so and I'll count up in the morning first thing.

So I better do just that hadn't I. The funny thing is about this vote is its an easy one for me. Yet ask me a slightly different question or ask me at a different time and my answers would be different. If we included influence in this rather than whose art you like then this would be close, not sure it would change who won but Simon Bisley would be much closer. Ask me in Bisley heyday in the early 90s when I was late teens into early 20s then Bisley would have romped this. Entirely.

Ask me now however and while I can see the talent I'm not a big fan of Bisley style - for all the impact its had - The Horned God is indeed stunning to look at and they way it drifts between styles is to be admired. And while Simon Bisley certianly lead the way with that piece at the time I think others have bettered it since. Indeed look at America by... you got it.

Colin MacNeil on the other hand - as well as sharing with me life's handicap of being called Colin - has done it all. Learnt on the page in front of us. Produced those painted wonders and then seen his art develop and evolve through Insurrection to the brilliance of his 'blocker' thicker lined current work, quite possible my favourite of all his stuff. The man is an artistic titan almost without measure and so:

Colin MacNeil 5 : Simon Bisley 0

JayzusB.Christ

Fair play.  I was mulling this one over in my head so much, I let the deadline pass.  For me, the Horned God features some of the most amazing art the prog has ever had.  It was an absolute revelation to me at the time and I still gaze in awe at it these days.  But then there's America, Song of the Surfer, Mechanismo, Johnny's death (well, I liked it), so I'm happy with that result.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 May, 2021, 07:20:33 AM
Colin MacNeil on the other hand - as well as sharing with me life's handicap of being called Colin - has done it all. .............

Colin MacNeil 5 : Simon Bisley 0

Well, well we should name it and it is certainly nametism and people with same name should not be allowed to vote for people sharing it
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 22 May, 2021, 10:41:47 AM
Well, well we should name it and it is certainly nametism and people with same name should not be allowed to vote for people sharing it

Trouble is folks called Simon would almost never be able to vote!

Magnetica

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 May, 2021, 10:36:07 AM
Fair play.  I was mulling this one over in my head so much, I let the deadline pass.  For me, the Horned God features some of the most amazing art the prog has ever had.  It was an absolute revelation to me at the time and I still gaze in awe at it these days.  But then there's America, Song of the Surfer, Mechanismo, Johnny's death (well, I liked it), so I'm happy with that result.

The vote isn't closed. That was just Colin casting his vote, not giving us the result.

So you still have time to give your score.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 May, 2021, 01:49:50 PM
The vote isn't closed. That was just Colin casting his vote, not giving us the result.

So you still have time to give your score.

Sorry missed that - good pick up Magnetica yes VOTE AWAY - VOTE NOW - this one is open until the morning still.