Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Sleeze n Ryder y vs Tor Cyan - Round 1 Heat 24

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 November, 2021, 06:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Into the third week now and we're well into the swing of things and we've really been testing those thrill-banks so far and exposing thrills that aren't very fondly remembered and so folks are struggling to recall. This week will be no different, there will be thrills here that are pretty damned decent and some that will have folks wondering why they've never read them... and in some cases that won't be a bad thing!

Not many thrills have their origins across two other thrills, Tor Cyan sprang out of Mercy Heights and then crash landed into the already confused timeline of Rogue Trooper. Sleeze n Ryder had ...errr... two hairy chaps on 'cool' bikes...

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Sleeze n Ryder - more info

Vs.

Tor Cyan - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 14th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

I suspect mine could be the lone vote, but I'm plumping for Sleeze N Ryder because I remember it making me laugh at how daft it all was.

IndigoPrime

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

I know that Tor Cyan is the more accomplished strip, but it's SO deadly serious. I'm resorting to that old chestnut of 'which would I rather re-read right NOW' tactic, and that means I'm plumping for Sleeze N Ryder. I know it's not as cool as it thinks, or as funny, but at least the jokes in it are better than Time Flies, and Nick Percival's extreme use of green paint was hilarious in itself.

Frankly for the bit where the brains of old US Presidents in jars turn up, including Arnie's quote-spouting brain, I'm always gonna remember the strip with fondness.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 11 November, 2021, 09:53:54 AM
... and that means I'm plumping for Sleeze N Ryder.

You're rapidly making a name for yourself as the Wild Card of the tourney!
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: AlexF on 11 November, 2021, 09:53:54 AM
including Arnie's quote-spouting brain

Very amusing alright - I think Ennis included pretty much every one-liner Arnie had incoherently bellowed up until that point.

But c'mon, there's no way it's a better strip than Tor Cyan.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I thought the Tor Cyan strip was one ladder rung below Zarjaz, and it was reaching upwards before the plug was pulled by TMO.

Bringing together story elements from Smith's Cinnabar to White's Rogue Troopers and seemingly setting-up a roundabout resurrection for the original Rogue Trooper (effectively dropping the Friday connection without ignoring that it happened in continuity) it worked remarkably well I thought.

Some killer artwork from Walker, Wilson and Jock didn't hurt either.

If I was in charge - and I will be one day by Grud - I'd have ran with the Tor Cyan set-up as a means of re-establishing Rogue Trooper in 2000AD without having to resort to another reboot or relying on Nu-Earth flashbacks.

Funt Solo

Tor Cyan suffered from being interminably dull (for a gung-ho combat-fest with great art) while also ripping Tor out of the (new, interesting) mould of a combat medic and back into that of an unstoppable killing machine. Trying to blend the Rogue-iverses together had already failed multiple times by this point, and yet another attempt to cut and paste a way out of various narrative cul-de-sacs (not surprisingly) failed again. It's just characterless.

Sleeze 'n' Ryder was a bit like a Judge Dredd RPG module without any Judges in it, but had a coherent story, was fun and included lava, dinosaurs, muties, deadly droids, forgotten nukes and mucho mayhem.

Sleeze 'n' Ryder wins my vote.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

Quote from: Funt Solo on 11 November, 2021, 04:33:42 PM
Tor Cyan suffered from being interminably dull (for a gung-ho combat-fest with great art) while also ripping Tor out of the (new, interesting) mould of a combat medic and back into that of an unstoppable killing machine. Trying to blend the Rogue-iverses together had already failed multiple times by this point, and yet another attempt to cut and paste a way out of various narrative cul-de-sacs (not surprisingly) failed again. It's just characterless.
All of this really.

Unfortunately, it's up against a strip that not only haven't I read, I don't think I've ever heard of Sleeze 'n' Ryder.

Tor Cyan
We never really die.

Southstreeter

Tor Cyan was great. Looked ace. Sleazy rider I have no recollection of.

Funt Solo

Quote from: I, Cosh on 11 November, 2021, 05:52:34 PM
...I don't think I've ever heard of Sleeze 'n' Ryder.

Quote from: Southstreeter on 11 November, 2021, 06:42:12 PM
Sleazy rider I have no recollection of.

You guys must've been in your own drug-fueled haze in 1993 when the Megazine printed the eight-part Sleeze 'n' Ryder. Ironic, as it's at least superficially an homage to the drug-fueled hazing of Easy Rider, and may perhaps have been penned during a drug-fueled haze.

Nick does Bisley:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++