Main Menu

Age-Old Question

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 17 November, 2023, 07:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 17 November, 2023, 10:29:17 PMand we just never met trooper AAA
And then there's Trooper GGG: everybody's friend.

(Include Sergeants Buff and Studly from Weapons Training and Rebellion can finally break into the erotica market.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Dash Decent

We're getting into the RT equivalent of Major Major here.

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 17 November, 2023, 10:29:17 PMDefinitely the type of conversation I was born for. You're using the alphabet, there, which is fine - but what if they used an Excel-style system

What if they kept going with the rest of the keyboard, or switched to Wingdings font or empjis?

"Give me two hundred push-ups, Trooper Percentage sign!  Get that grin off your face, Trooper Finger Pointing Left, or you'll be joining Trooper LOL in the cooler!"
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: JohnW on 17 November, 2023, 01:40:38 PMbut your prequel idea sounds pretty scrotnig.

Thanks!  I'd love to see something done with them that shows that it's not just Rogue who is some kind of unique super-soldier but they are all fast, trained, deadly.  It's thrown away by the story a little (out of necessity), and the RT game is the same (plus adds the weird idea that Gunnar can have all sorts of special upgrades etc but absolutely none of the GIs are equipped with them, and they have to fossick for bits and build them in the field.  I know it's just a game-play mechanism and I've probably thought about it too hard...)

Dredd is the same.  Sometimes I have to stop and remember he's not got super abilities from some kind of upgrade in the clone lab.  He's just a tough, single-minded and highly trained soldier.  All (most) of the other Judges should be the same, having been through the same training from such a young age.  It seems off-kilter when we come across useless Judges, fat Judges, etc.  It's not like they are (say) help desk call centre staff.  They're rigorously trained and scrutinised, every minute or every day for fifteen years or so, then judged and possibly dismissed - and then still under scrutiny, possible SJS pick-up etc.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 17 November, 2023, 05:32:58 PMOne thing that has crossed my mind between the Dreddverse & the Rogueverse is that both have cloning tech

One idea i had for the Advent Calendar years ago, and never drew, was to have Dredd, Alpha and Rogue standing in a circle arguing about who had what.

Dredd: "I'm the one whose a clone!"
Rogue: "No, that's me!  And I've got blank staring eyes!"
Alpha: "I'll think you'll find that's my USP.  Plus this neat gun that fires different types of bullets. (Chuckle) In fact, I do this special thing where I call out what type of ammo I'm switching to."
Rogue: "Does it handle chem shells and seal bursters?"
Dredd: "The copyright infringements are just piling up, creep!  Next you'll be telling me about your complicated family background and saying a close male relative was actually a major bad guy."
Alpha: "Why you--!  Well, at least you can't possibly have had a strange comic-relief sidekick who talks funny!"
Dredd: <Teeth gnashing>
Rogue: "I've got it, guys!  I'm the one who wears a helmet!"
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Rogue: "Headquarters on a space station?"
Alpha: "Been there, done that, got the coffee mug*. Eyes with special abilities?"
Dredd: <strangled growling noises>
Rogue: "Equipment that talks?"
Dredd: <further strangled growling>
Alpha: "Hunting down criminals and bringing them to justice?"
Dredd: <apoplectic and crimson faced>
Rogue: "A major opposing nation whose clear basis on a historical real world enemy is barely concealed, if at all?"
Dredd: !!!!

Etc!

* Quick plug for the webshop.  Send royalties and freebies to Dash Decent, c/- Earth.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Funt Solo

Alpha: "Tight spandex outfit that marks me out as a gay sci-fi icon."
Dredd: <*splutter*>
Rogue: "Well, I do like disco!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trooper McFad

Dash there's still dates free for this year's advent 😁👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

The Legendary Shark

Here's my take on the issue, courtesy of Shameless Self-Promotions Inc.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JohnW

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 November, 2023, 10:38:32 AMHere's my take on the issue, courtesy of Shameless Self-Promotions Inc.

Pictures, Shark – pictures! I won't say this again.
I read the first episode and the editor inside me said, 'Yeah OK, let's run with this,' but the reader in me gave up. That guy isn't going to read a second episode if there are no pictures to hold his attention.
Fill a sock with wet sand, get yourself down to an art college, and wait outside the nearest pub. Any young hopeful will be glad to give artistic expression to your words in exchange for occasional feeding and the promise of eventual release.
(After all, they say Jack Kirby got his start while handcuffed to a radiator.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

See, you're missing a trick there. Plug your favourite artist into your mind's eye and, voila, you have a perfectly serviceable brain comic, or bromic.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JohnW

That may work for you, but my mind's eye keeps on picking up interference. It keeps flashing up pictures of the day's vexations, worries, and fuck-ups or – more pleasantly but just as distractingly – images of pretty ladies with no clothes on.
Your serenity might enable you to create brain comics, but my beleaguered head needs someone who's handy with pencils and inks to do the creating for me.

The Legendary Shark

Okay then, think of it as a comic-based meditation, or comeditation, where you will learn of the serenity to be found in concentration. Only you can make each panel a masterpiece... Well, you and Dave Gibbons - but what are the chances, right?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

Quote from: JohnW on 23 November, 2023, 10:06:54 AMin exchange for occasional feeding and the promise of eventual release.

#For your love
there is no replacement
I've got your family
locked up in my basement#
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll