Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Pussyfoot 5 vs A Life Less ordinary - Rd 1 Heat 40

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 November, 2021, 06:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week... eerrrr is anyone keeping count anymore? (well yes I am its 5) and you know what if I said Week 4 was a step up in quality, well I'd suggest this week is even better. See what you reckon...

As with John Wagner, so with John Smith - a trill to show that not everything he touches is gold here (well in my opinion at least). Thing is it's up against a movie that's most 2000ad aspect is it had a cleaning robot in... well i guess that and a couple of gun-toting angels

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Pussyfoot 5 - more info

Vs.

A Life Less Ordinary - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 28th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Haven't read ALLO but did see the film, in my opinion not one of Danny Boyle's best.

A spin-off from Devlin Waugh wasn't as good as any of the Vatican agent's main stories, but still had sufficient Smithian weirdness to get it my vote.

Pussyfoot 5.

IndigoPrime

ALLO was an odd one. Totally out of place in 2000 AD. An excellent example of licensing a properly prior to understanding what the property was. Pussyfoot 5 isn't Smith's best, but it's bonkers and interesting, so that wins out easily for me.

JayzusB.Christ

Pussyfoot 5.  It wasn't great, but A Life Less Ordinary was very ordinary.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Oh this is tough, and not really in a fun way. Pussyfoot 5 is a great team that should have been fun to read but was way too pedestrian to have come from John Smith.
Life Less Ordinary is a film I ADORE (hey it was in the cinema when I was 18 and had just started at Uni, it was basically written for whiny wannabe writers like me) - but the comics version just doesn't work, and that even with Yeowell working in his older style that I like a lot. It highlights just how much Danny Boyle brings to the films he directs, all the inventive angles and camera moves and music cues and such - things that can sometimes be achieved in comics, but not when written in something of a rush.
I think for me the problem is that the comic only has time to focus on the McGreogr/Diaz pairing, but the film works best when viewed from the point of view of the Lindo/Hunter angels pairing. The comic has no time to do anything other than check off the plot beats (and there's a lot of plot), and not enough room to wallow in the absurdity of the situations.

Anyway, after writing more words about the comics adaptation of ALLO than any other human being ever has, I'm voting for the bland but at least competent Pussyfoot 5. Hell, I'd actually be kinda thrilled if Ales Kot had a go at writing new space adventures for the team - bet he could have some outrageous fun.

Blue Cactus

I reread Pussyfoot 5 recently and enjoyed it. As has been said it's not Smith's best but there's plenty going on and I wish we'd had more. I'd happily see Kot give it a go too, although I can't imagine it'll ever be seen again.

ALLO.... nah.

Pussyfoot 5

Funt Solo

Pussyfoot 5 isn't the best thrill in the prog - I'm not even sure it would triumph over Space Girls - but at least it belongs in the prog. Bad-hair-film adaptation ALLO is like watching paint dry.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Southstreeter

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

a life less ordinary

and i can't stand a life less ordinary (apart from the soundtrack).

jeez there's a pattern here, colin. forget the romance of the cup - this preliminary round is often the purgatory that exists between the devil and the deep blue sea.

maryanddavid

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 25 November, 2021, 07:06:57 PM
jeez there's a pattern here, colin. forget the romance of the cup - this preliminary round is often the purgatory that exists between the devil and the deep blue sea.

I know what you mean, the counter though is how often do we get to reflect on these 'lesser' strip. We talk about Dredd, his figure, board game, telly shows (ahem) all day. Its good* to consider the lesser light, to remember unsung thrill that make 2000ad the variety pack it is. Hey we can't appreciate how good the highs are, unless we embrace the lows!

*Well okay not always good!

Colin YNWA

So quiet here BUT one again we're not going to get a shut out - which I love, we've not had one today in this tourney. So get ya votes in today and I'll count up in the morning.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 November, 2021, 06:30:10 AM
... the counter though is how often do we get to reflect on these 'lesser' strip. We talk about Dredd, his figure, board game, telly shows (ahem) all day. Its good* to consider the lesser light, to remember unsung thrill that make 2000ad the variety pack it is.

Well said, Colin! When was the last time anyone really said anything about Colony Earth, or ALLO?
@jamesfeistdraws