Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Helltrekkers vs. Ten-Seconders Round 2 Heat 113

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 April, 2022, 06:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Penultimate week, just two weeks to go - which if you consider that we started this Round in January is quite something. Enjoy these dog days of Round 2 as while we have some meaty ties in these last two weeks it's going to be nothing compared to some of the sinkers you will have in Round 3. You'll look back at the easy days and decisions you've had to make in Round 2 with fondness. Just check out Funt Solo's wonderful Round 2 so far thread to get a sense of what Round 3 will be...

Which isn't to say this is going to be easy and the first tie of this week shows some of the qualities we have been dealing with in this round. They might be second tier thrills but both of these are great and it's going said to see one go. Warming up for Round 3 then!

Helltrekkers - more info

Vs

Ten-seconders - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday April 28th and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Huey2

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

rogue69

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Oh blimey, Helltrekkers. If ever there was a strip crying out for a modern reboot, it's Helltrekkers. A series about the horrors of the Cursed Earth on a weekly basis, with a likeable but disposable cast- that s made for the prog. Maybe even Regened, actually. But only if it's as nasty and funny as the original and the stories that inspired it.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 25 April, 2022, 07:40:12 AM
Oh blimey, Helltrekkers. If ever there was a strip crying out for a modern reboot, it's Helltrekkers. A series about the horrors of the Cursed Earth on a weekly basis, with a likeable but disposable cast- that s made for the prog. Maybe even Regened, actually. But only if it's as nasty and funny as the original and the stories that inspired it.

SBT

Yeah a Regened Helltrekers would be a great way to give the Regened a nice dark edge with afun no holds barred epic told in chunks.

abelardsnazz

Ooooh...I do like The Ten-Seconders but Helltrekkers is classic stuff...argh....

Helltrekkers.

Magnetica

AlexF

Tough one! I just missed Helltrekkers on its originla run, but my memory of reading it in weird chunks in back Progs was that it was knda boring and the art never grabbed me the way it did on the other strips from the same time. But so many people seem to love it, and I think as an older reader I might appreciate the fun of it more, the idea that every week someone else will die horribly, be they hero, villain, or hapless loser.

Ten Seconders I always wanted to like but it didn't warm up for me until Series 3, by which time I couldn't quite remember who was who and what was going on. Reckon I'm goona try to squeeze in a re-read before casting my vote.

But let's be honest, neither of these are contenders for even the quarter-finals...

Barrington Boots

Helltrekkers for me too. Ten Seconders was one of those strips that I thought would be better than it actually was - a fun read but not one I ever really feel the need to revisit.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Southstreeter

IndigoPrime

I read them both relatively recently in the Hachette books. Helltrekkers is... fine. It does the job it was meant to do, which was filler for the aborted Dredd magazine, and then filler for 2000 AD. It's quite fun. The episodic nature works fairly well. The ending is such that the entire thing amounts to one very dark joke, which I liked. But I'm not sure I care about it.

Ten Seconders was messy as hell in the Prog, but when read as a single volume hangs together pretty well and largely does interesting things. I have some issues with characterisation here and there, but it just about gets the nod from me in this pairing.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Link Prime

The Ten Seconders.
It was pretty good, had the potential to be a lot better.

Some great designs for the super-humans by Mark Harrison in the original run.