Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Chimpsky’s Law vs. Breathing Space Round 2 Heat 115

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 April, 2022, 06:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Penultimate week, just two weeks to go - which if you consider that we started this Round in January is quite something. Enjoy these dog days of Round 2 as while we have some meaty ties in these last two weeks it's going to be nothing compared to some of the sinkers you will have in Round 3. You'll look back at the easy days and decisions you've had to make in Round 2 with fondness. Just check out Funt Solo's wonderful Round 2 so far thread to get a sense of what Round 3 will be...

Two off Mega City One Dredd world tales here (remembering when we are thinking Chimpsky it's just his solo series not his appearances in Dredd). Anyone who bothers to wade through my comments here will know which way I think it's Aperopriate to vote, but I quite like Breathing Space too.

Chimpsky's Law - more info

Vs

Breathing Space - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday April 29th and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

IndigoPrime

Breathing Space did Luna-1 quite well, with a brooding and slow-paced slice of nastiness. But Chimpsky is just great, in script and art terms, and so wins it for me.

rogue69

AlexF

Argh quite tricky this one, as I did not like the solo Chimpsky tale nearly as much as his Dredd appearances. And although they're impossible to compare, Holden's cartooning vs Campbell's brooding both matched their stories so well! Breathing Space has a stellar opening mystery, not so keen on the ending. Chimpsky started off OK, got a bit worse in the middle, then pulled out a fun ending. Both stories yielded 'cover-of-the-year' material, too!

Gah - gonna vote Breathing Space mostly to throw it some love. Many have tried to write a murder mystery for 2000AD, perhaps this one is the closest to succeeding.

Magnetica

I'm torn. Chimpsky has long term potential. Breathing Space is done. As Alex said it started well but didn't finish as well.

But being one and done shouldn't rule stuff out.
I re-read it in the floppy a few years back and probably won't read it again.

I think Chimpsky has benefited from being in his own strip i.e. not having to outwit Dredd all the time (see also Dark Judges- but the other way round).

I'll need to think more about my vote - maybe see what others say.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Breathing Space. Chimpskey's Law didn't really work for me as a series, but I love the character as part of the main Dredd strip.

SBT