Main Menu

Christmas Prog line-up revealed

Started by Richmond Clements, 20 November, 2022, 03:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

Quote from: Tjm86 on 25 November, 2022, 08:35:00 PM
Aside from the initial Verdus story, Robo-Hunter always left me cold.  Gibson's artwork was the only redeeming quality
Day of the Droids was fun, too, but I can't help feeling that if Robo-Hunter was created now, it would be in the Regened progs, with a much younger protagonist. As for Gibson, I'm normally in favour of sticking with a strip's original creative team, but in this case, it's easy to see why Jose Ferrer was replaced early on in its run.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Wasn't Sam only meant to be 25 or so in the early runs?  Admittedly he looked way older, like the 'teenage' middle-aged bikers in I Was a Teenage Tax Consultant.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 December, 2022, 02:32:35 PM
Wasn't Sam only meant to be 25 or so in the early runs?  Admittedly he looked way older, like the 'teenage' middle-aged bikers in I Was a Teenage Tax Consultant.

The first Verdus story had the shield "failing" and de-aging both Slade and Kidd, hence the baby.  So yes, Slate was supposed to be physically younger.

JayzusB.Christ

Ah, ok.  It's been way too long - must have a festive re-read.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

Quote from: Tjm86 on 10 December, 2022, 09:30:31 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 December, 2022, 02:32:35 PM

The first Verdus story had the shield "failing" and de-aging both Slade and Kidd, hence the baby.  So yes, Slate was supposed to be physically younger.
Yes, I remember now. So it wouldn't be too much of a tweak to de-age him further and make him physically around the same age as Cadet Dredd, but with his own office and employees/robots. As I recall, the reason for doing Cadet Dredd and Young Johnny Alpha stories is that kids nowadays don't want to read stories with adult heroes.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!