Main Menu

Boldly Going, in General...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 06 December, 2022, 08:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

I thought I'd start a general Star Trek thread because a) Trek is awesome, 2) there isn't one , and Γ) Trek is awesome.

I haven't watched an entire series of classic Trek for ages because, to be frank, it gets to be a chore. That's not to say I'll never have a DS9 or TOS binge again, but for now I just like to dip in from time to time. And I have to admit that I haven't done this in a while, either - being too distracted by the shiny new final frontier. Tonight, however, I felt moved to dip back in and chose the Voyager season five two-parter, Dark Frontier.

It's episodes like this that make me love Trek so much. It basically boils down to the Captain not giving up on Seven, who rejoins the Borg Collective, and risking it all to save her. Yes, yes, I know it's all bollocks but it's profoundly aspirational. I for one would love to live in a society where nobody is ever abandoned, and that the well-being of the individual is the responsibility of the collective. (And there's also the delicious moral ambiguity of staging a heist in the first place...)

And speaking of Voyager, has anyone else been watching Prodigy? Kate Mulgrew reprises her role as both Admiral Janeway and a holographic training instructor to a group of enslaved kids who find a Federation starship to escape in and their adventures thereafter. It's animated and I'm finding it quite charming, as good as Lower Decks in its own way.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

RookieNerd

I am a general Star Trek fan so I like to rewatch the TOS ST movies 2-4-6 (and Galaxy Quest). I did enjoy DS9, TNG, TOS, VOY and ENT in that order. I was thinking about picking up the entire run of DS9/TNG on bluray for a binge rewatch. Babylon 5 and then then the BSG reboot kind of knocked Star Trek off the my number one sci-fi serial show top spot. I have started to collect one small collectable from each character/film/franchise I am really into. I think I might get the TOS phaser paying homage to Star Treks roots. When it comes to small screen leads it's hard to pick between Sisko and P'icard as my fave boss/leader character. I think older movie Kirk is better than younger TV Kirk though. Leonard Nimoy Spock will always be legendary for how good he was in both TV and movie adaptations. 1st B5, 2nd BSG(r), 3rd Star Trek, 4th Matt Smith Dr Who run. Which kind of says where we are with current small screen sci-fi when the oldies are still the goldies.

The Legendary Shark

Enterprise is my favourite Trek but, like you, Babylon 5 is my favourite sci-fi show.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Lower Decks is probably the only Trek show i've watched in its entirety, and yes, it is indeed still ongoing.

I should probably fix that.

Magnetica

TNG is the best for me. But do love DS9, B5 and BSG too.

These days I find TOS almost unwatchable.

wedgeski

I'm a lover of all things Trek and the resurgence was supremely exciting. Things have petered out a bit. Discovery S1 and S2, I thought, were excellent. S3 and S4 not so much. Picard S1 pretty great, S2 one of the most disappointing runs of TV I can remember. Strange New Worlds S1 mostly brilliant. Lower Decks a constant joy.

I'm not sure where Discovery is going, it's lost its way. The far future setting is bland and the characterisations bordering on painful. I expect SNW S2 to be even better than its opener. As a full TNG redux, I hope desperately for Picard S3 to hit the right mark.

Barrington Boots

At University I lived with two serious Trekkies and have endured much, from it being on TV literally almost every hour of the day to having to play Star Trek Trivial Pursuit (not fun), The Star Trek Video Boardgame (fun) and some kind of Star Trek roleplaying game. As someone who wasn't a fan growing up it was enough to instil in me first a deep hatred which then gave way to a sort of weary resignation and acceptance.

I still can't abide TNG. DS9 was my favourite back on those days but if I'm ever going to watch any now it would be original Trek. The threat is almost always an energy being or a cowboy / roman / prohibition version of earth, but I find it quite endearing and I like it's optimistic vision of the future.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Good summary of the current Trekkie shows wedgeski. I have not yet watched Lower Decks
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

Barrington Boots

Quote from: wedgeski on 12 December, 2022, 12:02:19 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 12 December, 2022, 11:14:24 AM
The Star Trek Video Boardgame (fun)
Yes, Captain Kavok!

EXPERIENCE BIJ became the default phrase when anything bad, regardless of seriousness, happened for years after.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tjm86

I think in some respects Sharkey you raise a valid point.  ST has so many fascinating ideas but trying to follow it linearly is not always a good idea.

Ironically this is counter to my old habits.  Possibly because of earlier exposure.  Now though it is clear that there are some amazing episodes that might be missed if one tries to follow each series in release order.

That said, it is only by following them linearly that the true value becomes apparent, I would argue.

lincnash

TNG runs weekdays on free-to-air TV at after school times for the juves, here in the Radback.
Caught the "Barclay's paranoia over beasties in the transporters" episode the other day (Realm of Fear).
Great classic semi-vintage Trek.
Only lasted 3 ep's of PICARD it was so shite IMO, only 1 ep of ST:D sexually transmitted disease (DISCO is atrocious), so I'm waiting out for the Barclay centric, reboot streaming series.
Bring it on Paramount.
:D

The Legendary Shark

I agree that ST:D and Picard were poor and disappointing respectively, but fortunately Lower Decks and Strange new Worlds more than make up for it, seemingly made by people who love and respect the classics. If you haven't given them a try yet, I think (hope) you might find them very good indeed.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

lincnash

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 January, 2023, 03:57:37 PM
Lower Decks and Strange new Worlds

Slightly on topic, I've recently started The Orville S3 and just watched Episode 2.
When that's done I'll definitely give Strange New Worlds a go.
I liked Ansom Mount in Hell on Wheels (series died the slow death), so have decent hopes for it.

Side note to DISCO, same OZ fta channel that plays TNG in the arvo's, spammed DISCO would be playing at prime viewing timeslot of Sunday 7:30pm.
The wall of advertising and poor quality show failed to rate, so it lasted 3 weeks in the prime slot (free TV, not pay to stream and it couldn't get viewers).
Channel then moved it to Thursdays at 9:00pm, all S1 just sat there with very poor ratings.
Now DISCO S1 to S3 are playing on rotation at 1:00am Sunday night/Monday mornings.
I think that's and indicator of what a poor facsimile of Trek it truly is.
;-)