Main Menu

Best Judge Dredd strips of 2022 (prog only)

Started by broodblik, 06 January, 2023, 08:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Gotta be honest, I barely remember the details of most of these stories, certainly none stand out as all-time classics but I don't think it was a BAD year for Dredd.

Based on what I do remember...

1) Last Temptation of Joe Dredd, not just because it was only 2 weeks ago but also it's really great!
2) 5 in the Cubes I remember being a fun time, possibly Grinders was better as so many poeple have mentioned it here?
3) Sentientoid's Big Idea is a story I really DO remember, and it felt rather classic too, + super pretty art.

Thanks very much to any and all boarders with the oomph to get these things going, I love to engage with this kind of stuff, don't seem to have the energy to muster new threads myself.

Huey2

1) The Citadel.
2) The Dead Chief Judge's Society
3) Troublemaker

Magnetica

1. An Honest Man
2. Working Girl
3. Troublemaker

GoGilesGo

No love for The Pitch?
This single episode has the potential to be so enormously consequential it could change the strip forever.

Working Girl
Very glad Mona made a repeat appearance; looking forward to seeing her (and Bloop) again.

An Honest Man
Same goes for Asher. This went places I never would have predicted. Fabulously bleak and open-ended finale

Grinder and The Dead Chief Judge's Society, best of the rest.

Magnetica

Quote from: gogilesgo on 08 January, 2023, 09:59:12 AM
No love for The Pitch?
This single episode has the potential to be so enormously consequential it could change the strip forever.

Yeah forgot about that. It could change the strip, but it hasn't happened yet. And it remains to be seen if other writers incorporate it into their stories or just ignore it; there doesn't seem to be much cross-writer continuity. We've also had stories that should have changed the strip before, that didn't really.

broodblik

A week to go so you still have time to re-think or even re-vote or just vote.

Some interesting developments but I ma sure nobody would be surprise by it and its quite simple Niemand's Dredd is dominating the charts. So Tharg so go ahead and make him the Dredd showrunner he knows his Dredd.

We have two Niemand strips closely fighting for top honours but never ever discount a Wagnerism to show us how wrong we are.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

1) The Citadel
2) Sentiod's big idea
3) B-fella Must Die.

Much prefer action and bastard Dredd to the weeping gal approach.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Link Prime

No love for The Pitch?

Not really, no.

If the strip is to undergo any significant change I would prefer that it is Wagner who pens the libretto.

What are consequences in comics anyway, really?
Chaos Day was over a decade ago at this stage - what impact did it really have?

BPP

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 January, 2023, 11:36:48 AM
No love for The Pitch?

Not really, no.

If the strip is to undergo any significant change I would prefer that it is Wagner who pens the libretto.

What are consequences in comics anyway, really?
Chaos Day was over a decade ago at this stage - what impact did it really have?

Well I think if there is a constant it's that The Judges seem more vulnerable and stretched - from needing to use sov exiles to the Texan take over to small stories where cracks in the control of the streets seems more evident?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

1. The Last Temptation of Joe
2. Grinder
3. Sentientoid's Big Idea

HM: An Honest Man

As for consequences of Chaos, it's barely felt in the day-to-day. If it wasn't for occasional complaints the Meg's low on cash, we'd barely be aware of the devastating effects of that time.

More broadly, it really did feel like Niemand's show this year. I've no idea who he is (although he seems rather friendly on Twitter), but it seems almost criminal that the best Dredd writer in years cannot (for whatever reason) use his real name. Unless it's Alan McKenzie in a wig, because all is still not forgiven for _that_ Chopper strip.

Magnetica

Ok dumb question. How do we know that Ken Niemand's name isn't Ken Niemand?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 09 January, 2023, 10:38:19 PM

Because he was on a Thrill-cast and literally said it was a pseudonym ...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 January, 2023, 10:52:05 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 09 January, 2023, 10:38:19 PM

Because he was on a Thrill-cast and literally said it was a pseudonym ...?

Ok good to know....I haven't listened to that one. Hence the question.

Grush

1. Working Girl (stuck in David Cameron)
2. Buratino must die ( I am horse)
3. The Pitch ( what about the mutant?)

broodblik

You have the weekend to judge the strips of the year, I will count it all up by Monday morning
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.