Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2023

Started by Dash Decent, 11 November, 2021, 01:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

"Essential Judge Dredd: Judgement Day"

Jeepers. I guess that's a good example of a famous name vs objective quality, because there's nothing essential about that arc.

Max Headroom

Have to agree with Dark Jimbo about 'Fiends of the Eastern Front' if the Rebellion edition is going to exactly mirror the Hachette Partworks one in terms of content. It seems pretty pointless if the former does not include some extra material. On a side note: do we know if this is a hardcover?

Dash Decent

The 10,000 Disasters of Dort - Paperback, 4th May 2023
By Mike Butterworth
Art: Jose Gonzalez, Jose Ortiz

"The aliens from Dort of lost their world and now they want Earth!

It is the year 2000. In fifty years' time the planet Dort will collide with its sun and be destroyed. Ratta, the dictator of Dort has chosen Earth as a new home for his people. But first he is creating ten thousand disasters to wipe out all human life!

Only Britain's best scientist, Professor Mike Dauntless, has the mind and spirit to stop Ratta from destroying humankind."
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

davidbishop

Max Headroom

Bad news concerning 'Strontium Dog: The 2000ad years vol.1' - Amazon has this listed on their website as comprising 192 pages; and whilst Amazon are often wrong about minor details, this does not look good for having a complete run of the stories (considering 'Portrait of a Mutant' has been confirmed in the blurb). It is looking increasingly like this will omit a number of the strips which I am extremely disappointed about and can see no justification for.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Max Headroom on 17 August, 2022, 12:56:35 PM
Bad news concerning 'Strontium Dog: The 2000ad years vol.1' - Amazon has this listed on their website as comprising 192 pages; and whilst Amazon are often wrong about minor details, this does not look good for having a complete run of the stories (considering 'Portrait of a Mutant' has been confirmed in the blurb). It is looking increasingly like this will omit a number of the strips which I am extremely disappointed about and can see no justification for.

Can any driods confirm what Strontium Dog: The 2000AD Years will collect? Is the intent of this series to collect the complete 2000AD years in hardback, or is this a 'best of' series? I'm really hoping for the former!

sintec

The first volume of SD in the Ultimate Collection started at the first prog story, Galaxy Killers, and ran up to The Doc Quince Case. That was 202 pages of stri, so the book will have been a bit larger once you include title pages and intro. To get to the end of Potrait you'd need roughly another 100 pages. So either the page count on amazon is off by 100 pages or this isn't a complete run.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Max Headroom on 17 August, 2022, 12:56:35 PM
Bad news concerning 'Strontium Dog: The 2000ad years vol.1' - Amazon has this listed on their website as comprising 192 pages; ...
Isn't the clue kinda in the name? If it's only 192 pages and it's called Volume 1, then I would expect there to be a Volume 2 at some point!

sintec

Yes but I'd also expect vol2 to pick up where vol1 left off. From the page count and the statement that Portrait is in vol1 it looks like this won't be a complete chronological run but a cherry-picked best of.

Dash Decent

The Book Depository has the same listing as Amazon UK, except instead of "Portrait of a Mutant" it says "The Schicklgruber Grab" (link).  It may be that the blurb was wrongly written with "Portrait" and it's now been spotted and corrected to "TSG".

Quote from: sintec on 18 August, 2022, 11:07:30 AM
it looks like this won't be a complete chronological run but a cherry-picked best of.

Both blurbs say "...collects the earliest SD strips to appear in 2000 AD...".  I think there is still hope that this continues on from the previous Starlord volume and begins the run of 2000AD tales.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

nxylas

Quote from: Dash Decent on 12 July, 2022, 02:32:25 AM
By Mike Butterworth

It is the year 2000. In fifty years' time the planet Dort will collide with its sun and be destroyed. Ratta, the dictator of Dort has chosen Earth as a new home for his people. But first he is creating ten thousand disasters to wipe out all human life!

Only Britain's best scientist, Professor Mike Dauntless, has the mind and spirit to stop Ratta from destroying humankind."

Where does this come from originally? I don't recognise the name.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 August, 2022, 02:03:45 PM
The Book Depository has the same listing as Amazon UK, except instead of "Portrait of a Mutant" it says "The Schicklgruber Grab" (link).  It may be that the blurb was wrongly written with "Portrait" and it's now been spotted and corrected to "TSG".

Quote from: sintec on 18 August, 2022, 11:07:30 AM
it looks like this won't be a complete chronological run but a cherry-picked best of.

Both blurbs say "...collects the earliest SD strips to appear in 2000 AD...".  I think there is still hope that this continues on from the previous Starlord volume and begins the run of 2000AD tales.

Thanks Dash - This gives me hope that it will continue to collect all of Alpha's adventures and not just cherry pick a best-of.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: nxylas on 19 August, 2022, 02:59:12 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 12 July, 2022, 02:32:25 AM
By Mike Butterworth

Where does this come from originally? I don't recognise the name.

A quick Google search shows it's from a comic called Lion.
From UK Comics Wiki: Lion was a weekly comic published by the Amalgamated Press, later Fleetway and IPC, beginning on 23 February 1952. It incorporated Sun in 1959, Champion in 1966, the Eagle in 1969, and Thunder in 1971, and finally merged into Valiant on 18 May 1974.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 19 August, 2022, 03:32:09 PM
Thanks Dash - This gives me hope that it will continue to collect all of Alpha's adventures and not just cherry pick a best-of.

Cheers Rogue.

The page count makes more sense if it's "Grab" rather than "Portrait":

The Galaxy Killers - 45 pages
Journey into Hell - 73 pages
Death's Head - 21 pages
The Schicklgruber Grab - 36 pages
Mutie's Luck = 6 pages

= 181 pages (or 175 pages without Mutie's Luck).

The whole book is 192 pages. 181 pages of stories would leave 11 pages for contents, publishing info, covers gallery, creators bio.

The Doc Quince Case is the next story after Mutie's Luck, but at 21 pages it is too big to fit the known page count for this volume.  Unless they jammed it in by reproducing it very small, so they could reprint two pages per physical page, but who wants Quince jam?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

davidbishop