Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Hookjaw vs. Stickleback Rd 4 Heat 24

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 July, 2022, 07:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southstreeter

Stickleback. Perhaps the best of the Edgiverse stories.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

moly

AlexF

Haven't quite got round to cracking into the Hookjaw reprint in the MEg but am looking forward to it, which is not something I can say of Stickleback.

So, Hook-Jaw.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I *have* just reread Hookjaw, and was pleased to find it was every bit as good as I remembered. Yes, it's a quick read, and yes, the promise of follow-ups has as yet been unfulfilled, but for a self-contained horror story, it's very good indeed.

And besides, if I remember correctly, it came from nowhere- with no hype, and not even a word on social media or in the Nerve Centre, so there is every chance further installments will similarly suddenly pop up one fine week. Let's hope so.

SBT

IndigoPrime

It plopped out of my Meg package last night, and I'm looking forward to re-reading it. I recall at the time it certainly felt like an interesting attempt to do something different, rather than copy and paste 1970s "shark eats people" action.

Max Headroom

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

Whoops forgot to put the 24hour warning on the ties closing tomorrow.... so be warned this will now close in less than 24 hours, so get ya votes in!

IndigoPrime

Just re-read Hookjaw last night from the Meg floppy. It's not enough to make me change my vote, but it all hangs together really well. I recall people (largely the usual suspects) being miffed at the time about it, but I thought it came across as a really smart reimagining of the basic premise – and more horrific than a ramped-up Jaws.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Much more interesting tie here, though still pretty clear cut. Very pleased to see Hookjaw do so well. Its a thrill that did what the more conservative 2000ad reader (small c, no votes in next PM necessarily) seems to hate. A thrill that takes a traditional tale and reshapes and reimagines it. Hookjaw did that and di it so very well. A wonderful story. In the end though it was a fish out of water when coming up again the leviathon that is

Stickleback

swims into Round 5.