Main Menu

prog 2376: Wild justice

Started by The Monarch, 30 March, 2024, 03:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

Dredd starts in medias res to the point i actually though my issue was missing a page or two but nope  :lol:

Terror tale feels like a lead in to a longer story

indigo prime wacky as all heck this week mash up dimension indeed :D

full tilt boogie and proteus vex continue

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

That looks like last week's cover. (I mean, it seems to belong to last week's Dredd.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I thought the same.  I like that artists are given so much freedom to adapt Dredd's look - remember Frazer Irving's spherical helmets? - but I'm not pushed about this version.

It might grow on me, though, and it's way better than Tom Carney's Stallone helmet and straggly beard, mind you. Or Frank Miller's thankfully sole attempt at Dredd.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

I like the cover. Striking. Painterly. Droid Life is fun, and Dredd opens with a bang, some throwing up, and a sticky situation. If nothing else, this one's already got my attention. Nice sound effects too, including the little THAC!

Antumnos was atmospheric and looked great, but felt more like part one than a standalone. I assume the twist is old geezer's life was burned from him. So: a bit frustrating.

Full Tilt Boogie continues to zip along with each episode, while Indigo Prime confounds. And then Proteus Vex gives us a meaty finale.

I thought this was a really good Prog – lots of stuff going on. Plenty of variety. Top stuff.

Woolly

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 April, 2024, 08:51:50 PMI thought the same.  I like that artists are given so much freedom to adapt Dredd's look - remember Frazer Irving's spherical helmets? - but I'm not pushed about this version.

It might grow on me, though, and it's way better than Tom Carney's Stallone helmet and straggly beard, mind you. Or Frank Miller's thankfully sole attempt at Dredd.

It's times like these I ask myself - is it still Dredd though?

And yes. It is still Dredd.
I'm not a massive fan of the depiction of the uniform, but it's definitely still Dredd in there.

'It's a pass.'

IndigoPrime

I thought it still looked Dredd enough, although the teeny tiny eagle looks a bit weird next to the gigantic armour on the other shoulder. Bit unbalanced.

Woolly

Ps: I unapologetically love Frank Miller's Dredd cover. Utterly agree with it not being used, but surely it could have been a Star-Scan or something? I mean, it's Frank f*cking Miller!

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 April, 2024, 06:16:40 PMI thought it still looked Dredd enough, although the teeny tiny eagle looks a bit weird next to the gigantic armour on the other shoulder. Bit unbalanced.

Yep. That's my main gripe with it too. But then, original design and all that. Maybe all the big eagles were being fixed/polished?  ;)

IndigoPrime

The original design had a small armour piece as well. This is like marrying the original Ezquerra eagle with, I dunno, a Bolland armour piece. But whatever. I'm fine with it, and the giant bear was fun.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Woolly on 02 April, 2024, 06:18:38 PMI mean, it's Frank f*cking Miller!

While that would definitely have buttered parsnips with me once, All Star Batman and Robin and Holy Terror have happened in the meantime.  So I'm fighting with John Wagner Block on this one - 'He saw you coming'.

Anyway, while I'm not mad about this latest version of Dredd, I'm very much in favour of Tharg letting it happen.  Dredd wouldn't be Dredd if his look hadn't been allowed to evolve over the years.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 April, 2024, 06:59:07 PMAnyway, while I'm not mad about this latest version of Dredd, I'm very much in favour of Tharg letting it happen.  Dredd wouldn't be Dredd if his look hadn't been allowed to evolve over the years.

This is actually one of those areas where I actually love the fact that the artist have a lot more freedom. Yes, Dredd interpretations will not work for you but it is fascinating to see different people apply their trade. Not yet read this week's Dredd but from the intro last week I like Guera style.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 30 March, 2024, 10:26:53 PMThat looks like last week's cover. (I mean, it seems to belong to last week's Dredd.)

Yep defo agree there.

As for Dredd it drops you right into the middle of the action, but not in the good, intriguing way. Its drops us in and FIGHT and then giant Bear/slothe thing and that's it. Let's see how it goes though.

Terror Tales felt like a collection of left over words from an 90s Vertigo series slammed into a thin story to try to make it sound interesting.

Full Tilt Boogie was a step up as the Prog looked like it was going to struggle. Building nicely.

Indigo Prime clatters along at a great pace and shows the Terror Tale how its done.

Proteus Vex gives us an ending on a high and an ending on a high. Brill.

As the Prog went on it got stronger and stronger.

Barrington Boots

Definitely looks like a cover intended for last week.

I'm not a fan of this Dredd / judge interpretation either, but as others have also said, I like the fact that his look is open to interpretation by various artists, so no real issues here.

Dredd - I like the fact that the story starts mid-action but yeah, there's nothing intriguing or even especially interesting about the way it starts. It's only the opening episode, but this wasn't an enjoyable episode for me, it was just there. Maybe its just setting flashbacks to that terrible story where Dredd surfed a wolf.

Terror Tales I didn't enjoy this either. Colin nails it with his description above. Lovely splash page: bit of a waste of the art imo, sadly.

Full Tilt Boogie Big improvement! Although how are we on part ten already? The next part of the plot is set up. This is very easy to read and the art for me feels both fresh and nostalgic.

Indigo Prime mildly confusing in the best way. M*A*S*H mashups.

Proteus Vex Highlight this week: the world seems fully formed, the action and characters are ridiculous and interesting all at once. Horrible tongue-scene!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 April, 2024, 09:04:21 PMAs the Prog went on it got stronger and stronger.

Absolutely this!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Enjoyable prog with some minor bumps on the road.

Dredd – I like the opening episode as we are thrown right into the action. The what/why/where is not yet explained but the focus first are about survival. Like the art by Guera he has a very Stallone-Dredd vibe.

Terror – This has a feeling like it is the start of something rather than a complete tale but I can also see it as opening Pandora's' Box. The story feels like it is just a rehash of many other similar stories.

Boogie – This has become quite interesting especially the last panel of where the story is heading. I cannot see that everything will be resolved in this book. I am enjoying this and hope to see more in the future.

Prime – When reading this I feel like Yoda-talk is the way forward. Confusion we have story brings resolved no way. Wow looks at fancy panel we have picture very beautiful color does get lost.

Vex – It feels like this episode are a setup to land the final panel of what everyone is believing to be  the truth. Excellent art, great story as always.

Richard

I don't have any problem with this interpretation of Dredd's uniform. If anything, it seems more practical than most, in that the visor is actually big enough for Dredd to see through. In most versions, you have to assume that Dredd is either half-blind all the time, or else the red bit is actually see-through in one direction.