Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

The Independent is perhaps worse. Backing the coalition before the election (with the laughable hope it would be more 'liberal' and less 'conservative'), haemorrhaging readers, and then desperately trying to claw them back with countless anti-government articles.

The Lib Dems hardly covered themselves in glory, but specifically backing them would have been one thing, but the coalition as a whole? Even worse when some of the paper's staff noted they had no idea this would happen and the orders came from the owner.

If things don't change dramatically come 2020, it'll be interesting to see where allegiances lie then. Papers will have a stark choice between backing a Conservative Party hostile to anyone but the rich, or an untested Labour administration that could be a big risk but also a big win. (Farron will of course be jumping up and down, yelling NOTICE ME!, but, well, he can get knotted.)

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 September, 2015, 10:38:00 AM
Those of you who have been disappointed by certain of the media's Corbyn coverage might enjoy the following editorial in The Grauniad:
Why I take issue with the Observer's stance on Jeremy Corbyn, by Ed Vulliamy.

That's one of the things about the gariand I dislike, its so London/Westminster focused, their treatment of Corbyn is similar to their treatment of the SNP/Nicola, they just can't get their head round popular opposition, unless its a continent away.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

You can actually see the evil rubbing off his thumb onto the pig...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 September, 2015, 10:38:00 AM
Those of you who have been disappointed by certain of the media's Corbyn coverage might enjoy the following editorial in The Grauniad:
Why I take issue with the Observer's stance on Jeremy Corbyn, by Ed Vulliamy.

Note the comments section is full of people telling the Gurnidig where to stick its apology.  They know it's not only insincere, it's going to be linked to again and again in articles in the coming weeks to justify their claims of impartiality and/or self-awareness, and that is the only reason they're publishing it at all - so they can continue to spam their articles with links to Gurndian content in a self-flagellating quest to drive up their web traffic.
I dunno who this guy is, but apart from sounding uncannily like the Mark and Lard Show impression of Cliff Richard, he makes some salient points about the lives of privilege enjoyed by Guardian writers that in turn insulates them from the concerns of society: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jydvEimopA

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 September, 2015, 12:31:57 PM

Notice how he wasn't wearing his wedding ring for this porcine encounter?

Grugz

brings a whole new meaning to pulled pork dunnit?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 September, 2015, 12:31:57 PM

Is that what they're calling it now?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

I liked a version of that Orwell quote I saw earlier:

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was— OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Spikes

von Boom

CrazyFoxMachine

From the Rubberbandits:

"I'm waiting for a journalist to talk about the real reason David Cameron stuck his mickey in a pigs mouth. Here's why.

To facilitate corruption. He did it in the Bullingdon club in Oxford. A club full of rich boys who end up ruling British politics. They do mad shit like that to strengthen fraternity and most importantly, so everyone in the club has dirt on each other. Protecting them all from whistleblowers when they become corrupt bastard politicians. No different to what the Hells Angels do to keep undercover police away."

From the Leveller, a very worthwhile (and much shared today) article by Lawrence Richards:

"David Cameron's nasty little scandal speaks to a suspicion many people already have: that in British society, you don't get to become Prime Minister because you're talented or because you work hard. You don't even get there just because you're rich. You get there by traumatizing the homeless and skull-fucking a dead pig, and that ritual gives you power because you have demonstrated utter, pathetic submission to your fellow oligarchs.

That is why we're laughing."

http://theleveller.org/2015/09/british-really-laughing/

JayzusB.Christ

I was on a stage weekend with one of the rubberbandits once, before he was a rubberbandit. Had loads of craic with him.  We both inadvertently  took the same joke away from the weekend to use in our respective standup routines (his comedy career being far more successful, long lived and indeed funny than mine).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Hilda Murrell, Dr Kelly, I fully expect the MP who is/was holding that pic of the Pig's Head to meet with  a nasty accident...
DDT did a job on me