Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 31 March, 2011, 10:51:33 AM
QuoteI think 300 quid was the binman's take home pay, by the way- but I wouldn't like to swear to it or anything.

I have preveiously work as a bin man, and didn't bring home this amount.
The driver of the vehicle might though- as an HGV driver is, rightly, paid more than a loader.

Personally, and I know no one was saying the opposite of this, I think that these guys could not be paid enough for what they do. It's a fucking hard and dirty (not in a good way) job, and you don't know real misery until you've trudged through a grey council estate on a pishy wet day behind a bin lorry...

but, but, aren't we all in this together?
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

Yes, we are all in this together (but only if you've got less than £10M in the bank, in which case you're on your own).
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl1jPqqTdNo

On the NHS debate I've half read in this thread, this seems relevant, amusing, and has a modicum of information too, even if the style is not to everyone's taste.

According to one of the comments its current at 64 in the charts - would be funny if it went top twenty.

hopefully not already posted.

Robin Low

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 31 March, 2011, 10:51:33 AMPersonally, and I know no one was saying the opposite of this, I think that these guys could not be paid enough for what they do. It's a fucking hard and dirty (not in a good way) job, and you don't know real misery until you've trudged through a grey council estate on a pishy wet day behind a bin lorry...

How about pouring formaldehyde and human body parts through a colander for the better part of three hours, in a hot room with a respirator clamped to your face? Not me, fortunately, just our porter.

But yeah, I take the point, although assessing a job's relative level of drudgery is a tough one.

Regards

Robin

Mikey

Quote from: Robin Low on 31 March, 2011, 10:18:21 PM
How about pouring formaldehyde and human body parts through a colander for the better part of three hours, in a hot room with a respirator clamped to your face? Not me, fortunately, just our porter.

Ah, them was the days! Except for me it was assorted animal bits in NBF, not human, and the lab was cold. It was reserved as a regular overtime duty too!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Robin Low

Quote from: Mikey on 01 April, 2011, 09:24:28 AM

Ah, them was the days! Except for me it was assorted animal bits in NBF, not human, and the lab was cold. It was reserved as a regular overtime duty too!

What a bizarre world we all live in! I really wasn't expecting anyone to be able to share the pain on that one.

Regards

Robin

Richmond Clements

QuoteWhat a bizarre world we all live in! I really wasn't expecting anyone to be able to share the pain on that one.

It's a comics message board on the internet, Robin! There's probably someone here who does it for a hobby.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 31 March, 2011, 10:51:33 AMHow about pouring formaldehyde and human body parts through a colander for the better part of three hours, in a hot room with a respirator clamped to your face? Not me, fortunately, just our porter.

That's Resyk isn't it? It was in the prog recently
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

From an email I received from http://38degrees.org.uk/ about the NHS. I post it here for the use/abuse of all you political animals out there.

"Is it starting to work? Yesterday's Times newspaper reported that Cameron and Clegg are starting to worry about the huge public opposition to the NHS plans. It's a clear sign that public pressure can save the NHS.

"The Times said that David Cameron and Nick Clegg will sit down "in the next week or two" to "plan the way ahead". [1] That means the future of the NHS is on a knife edge. They could decide to carry on forcing the changes through. Or they could decide to stop. We need to increase our pressure now, before these critical meetings

"If MPs receive a flood of emails ahead of the crunch meetings, it could tip the balance and persuade the government to back off. Can you email your MP now?

"Take two minutes to tell your MP to take our message to Cameron and Clegg:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/NHS-email-MP"

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 April, 2011, 01:52:14 PM
"If MPs receive a flood of emails ahead of the crunch meetings, it could tip the balance and persuade the government to back off."

What the hell was in those spliffs!

More seriously, can't hurt.

The Legendary Shark

Heh - well, in theory our MPs are supposed to listen to us - I don't think The System's completely buggered just yet, so we may as well make use of it. If nothing else it gives them a headache, which is at least something.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Just got home from the hospital - Mother had a mini-stroke (she's fine now, they let her come home after all the  tests and stuff.)

The mad part was that the ambulance crew had to wait with her at the hospital until she'd been seen - nearly two hours. How insane is that? The local area only has two ambulances and they were both out of action just waiting around with nothing to do. Who in God's name thought that this was a good way for four highly skilled professionals (and two expensive and vital pieces of kit) to spend their time? Madness.

However - thank God for the NHS!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

COMMANDO FORCES

Glad to hear she's okay Shark!

By the way, I'm now expecting the US to invade Ireland. There seems to be some sort of terrorist activity in the country, not that it ever went away! 

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, CF! Hell of a scare, though.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Emperor

Oh I bet, can you imagine what would have happened if they'd first had to check if she had health insurance? As you say - God bless the NHS.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+