Main Menu

Nemesis the Early Heresies

Started by Tjm86, 03 September, 2019, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 September, 2019, 08:56:31 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 06 September, 2019, 08:28:48 PM
Possibly the thing I like the most about it is that the paper isn't glossy.

Well that's the best news.

Yes, I much prefer that.

Fingers crossed for a Strontium Dog Agency Files with colour spreads...

CalHab

Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 September, 2019, 07:36:33 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 September, 2019, 03:07:53 PM
Best bet: sign up to the email list. That way, you hear before anyone else.

I'm on the email list.  First I knew was when I saw it on the website.

I do wish companies would appreciate that some people really have no interest at all in Twatter or Fakebook.

Ditto.

TordelBack

Seems the often extraordinarily long postage times from the UK aren't quite as mandatory as I had been led to believe, as my copy arrived this morning.  I'm not one to gloat (I really am), but oooh baruda that was one well-judged impulse buy.

I experienced a mild twinge of disappointment opening the packet to find a badly dinged corner (the cardboard sleeve itself was all-but annihilated, so I was relatively lucky), and a solitary white pixel staring at me out of the otherwise glorious black cover, but these minor imperfections are nothing compared to what's going to happen to this beauty under my ungentle care over many, many re-reads. 

A second wobble occurred as I removed the Casefiles Vol 1 edition from the shelf to make room for its replacement, and I briefly beheld a perfectly good collection of almost identical material with a stonking electric green cover design: oh double (actually quadruple) dipper, thy name is spendthrift!

But then I settled down for a lunchtime read and any and all reservations evaporated like a chief of the Tube Police in a teleporter accident.   

This is a lovely, lovely thing, crisp repro on matt white pages, excellent colour gallery reminding of just how many progs I mutilated to have maximum Nem/Torque coverage on my bedroom wall.  Despite being larger and heavier than its predecessor, a nice binding means it's actually easier to handle for reading, and the sharper contrast is easier on my ageing eyes, especially on the glorious Redondo pages.

Some of my all-time favourite 2000AD material getting the luxury treatment it truly deserves. Roll on Volume 2, the, errr, Middle Heresies.

hippynumber1

Someone has flipped one of these on eBay already - £92! 😡

sheridan

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 09 September, 2019, 06:17:56 PM

There's another f[spoiler]lipp[/spoiler]er trying to sell one for £447.98!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 09 September, 2019, 07:20:27 PM

Wow until folks learn to resist buying stuff at these silly prices they'll continue to do this.

IndigoPrime

Always the way. It'd be interesting to know why the 250 units limit was decided on. Seems kinda low for that particular book.

TordelBack

Hey, Star Wars figures and Warhammer soldiers ain't cheap, buddy!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 September, 2019, 08:12:19 PM

Wow until folks learn to resist buying stuff at these silly prices they'll continue to do this.

No bids on that one when I saw it - hopefully that won't change!

CalHab

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 September, 2019, 08:43:00 PM
Always the way. It'd be interesting to know why the 250 units limit was decided on. Seems kinda low for that particular book.

I'm still hacked off about the way Rebellion put this out.

Max Headroom

Just wondered if anyone who bought this book also has the old large-size Titan editions and how the repro compares between the two. Are the old editions still superior?

sheridan

Quote from: Max Headroom on 10 September, 2019, 05:01:54 PM
Just wondered if anyone who bought this book also has the old large-size Titan editions and how the repro compares between the two. Are the old editions still superior?

I have - I'll check when I get home.

Tjm86

It was interesting comparing the Heresies, the Titan hardback edition and the Termight edition.  The Titan is a bit crisper in places but not by much for the first couple of books.  The Heresies seems a bit murky when it gets to book four so ironically it is the more recent material that compares least favourably to the rest of the book.  The intro for the Titan edition also has more on character development than Heresies which is a bit of a shame / missed opportunity but that is me being picky.

The cover gallery scans do show their source limitations quite a bit.  The challenge of scanning material of this age can be seen with one illustration in particular that shows seep through from the interior.  I think Maryanddavid has posted before about the challenges of scanning this stuff for digitisation so I can sympathise.

I guess I would be hard pressed to say which I prefer.  If I were to do an "Absolute Nemesis" my dream edition would be the Originals and the Eagle colourised edition together with a character development piece and O'Neill's recollections of how and why he adapted the original artwork for the American edition.  Mills has written in a number of different places about how he and O'Neill developed the characters and story but it would be nice to have it all in one place.  For the later books it would be fantastic to see different artists discussing the evolving aesthetics of the different artists and what their work brings to the narrative.  Arguably there also needs to be a piece about Hicklenton, his life and art.  A lot of this was started in the Nemesis monograph by Smith but in places it lapses into a plot overview rather than an evaluation.

Ah, who am I kidding.  Never going to happen.  [sigh]

Max Headroom

Interesting to see how they compare. Were the Titan versions taken from the original artwork itself? If so, what happened to said artwork and does it still exist?

seanharry

Quote from: Max Headroom on 10 September, 2019, 06:09:10 PM
Interesting to see how they compare. Were the Titan versions taken from the original artwork itself? If so, what happened to said artwork and does it still exist?

The reproduction for the Titan graphic novel collection where taken either directly from the origional art, or from the origional printing plates from IPC.

The origional art has all since been sold to private collectors by the artists (I own 5 pages from Nemesis), and in the various transitions that 2000AD had made from company to company, the printing plates and files have all been lost.

The majority of Rebellions reprints comes from scanning in either copies of 2000AD, or the Titan collections.