Main Menu

Meg 368: Pacific Grim

Started by Ghost MacRoth, 16 January, 2016, 02:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  Nice, if a wee bit 'soft focus'?

Dredd:  Percival is back, and on form as always.  Like the cover, couyple of panels are a bit 'soft' or 'murky', but hey, that's his style eh?  Was a bit confused though....they find the ship, and climb on at a lower level....then at the end, it looks like the upper deck is at sea level?  Are they sinking?? 

Interrogation 1:  Skimmed. 

Cry Havoc: Extended advert for a different comic....skipped.

Demon Nic:  Entirely over this one now.  Will not be fussed if it doesn't show up again.

Interrogation 2: Skipped.

DeMarco:  Decent.  Think at this pace, it may be a tale best re-read in one hit.  We'll see.

Dredd 2:
Lovely art, likely my favorite in the meg this month.  Tale is moving along nicely, and I love that the madness of the classic Dredd is being combined so nicely with the stark realism of the 2012 film.  A great mix.

Floppy:  Ignored.

Really starting to lose faith in the meg overall. :(
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

IndigoPrime

By contrast, I rather liked this one. The lead Dredd is intriguing and a bit different, Demon Nic has been fresh and interesting (and I imagine will do well in a straight-through re-read), DeMarco's solid, and Dredd 2 (bar boob armour) is great to see. The text stuff is always a bit variable, but I happily read through the first interrogation. I even enjoyed the floppy, despite not remembering a great deal about Synnamon from its original appearance a decade ago.

Freddychopper

The Meg is going strong.

Stunning cover art by Nick Percival. I love how we actually get a shot that focuses on the environment and makes Dredd seem vulnerable to what lies ahead. Not keen on the design bits though with the letters in the water. I like the pun 'Pacific Grim' but they seem to detract from the great art. Am I right in that I heard a new designer is working for 2000ad, etc?

Anyway, The Gyre is fantastic. Nice build up and it's great to see Dredd and Joyce in a completely new looking place. Real atmosphere and mood to the brilliant art and I love the word-building Percival puts into it with all the little details and texture. Carroll and Percival make a great Dredd team and I just wish they'd do more together.

Interrogation was a good read but does take up a fair few pages, along with the other text features. good for a toilet break, though!

With Demon Nic, still not really sure what's really going on but I've always loved Paul Grist from the Kane days (and Mudman was great). It's pretty bonkers but better than Reaper!

DeMarco is more Carroll brilliance with nice art. A tiny bit sparse but great storytelling. Carroll seems to be taking over the Prog and Meg these day, not that I'm complaining.

And how cool would it be to have a live action version of Dust (I know it won't happen) but it's great to see the movie world of Dredd expanded without the budget restrictions of live action. If only.

Geoff

Quote from: Freddychopper on 16 January, 2016, 05:45:50 PM

Stunning cover art by Nick Percival. I love how we actually get a shot that focuses on the environment and makes Dredd seem vulnerable to what lies ahead. Not keen on the design bits though with the letters in the water. I like the pun 'Pacific Grim' but they seem to detract from the great art.

Totally agree, great cover, like the pun, but those blocky letters in the water - urgh.

The Gyre really grabs me, the rest of the Meg...distinctly average I'm afraid..

Proudhuff

Cover: Really not my bag at all, the text is uuugh! no focus in the image and why, oh why would Dredd stand there with a flamin  torch? really? to show the way? so he could see ahead? why?

Dredd: Enjoying this tale and great to see Dredd team up with his new sidekick again.

Interrogation 1:  Skimmed. 

Cry Havoc: read with interest

Demon Nic: Picked up at the end, loved the artwork just a bit nonplussed about the story.

Interrogation 2: Skipped.

DeMarco:  Decent, but I do wish there was more bite to the art.

Dredd 2: Enjoying the gritty feel to this  ;)

Floppy: Disliked at the time and can never be arsed with the whole idealised female warrior thing, I'll leave that to others on the board. ::)

Heads up BUtt'man there's a letter page, with someone wisely asking for a review of the whole interrogation text pages.

A fine Megazine worth the price of a pint :D
DDT did a job on me

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Hawkmumbler

Now, you listen here you lot! Let's have no more of this, quite frankly, blasphemous snark about Demon Nic. Alright? Because it's bloody brilliant is what it is and i'll be here salivating for second, and thirds.

You can all go and play with your boring sexy ostriches if you like.  ;)

Ghost MacRoth

Stuff demon nic right up the ostriches and flash fry them both. :D

The Monarch

Synnamon can piss off into the back of the thrill sucker infested portion of the nerve centre archives

The Monarch

Sorry guys that was aimed for the suggestions for the floppies thread

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The monarch on 18 January, 2016, 01:53:12 AM
Synnamon can piss off into the back of the thrill sucker infested portion of the nerve centre archives

I enjoyed it the first time around (I did, you can even search for the posts and everything) am actually keeping it, nay anticipating it, to enjoy once I've gone through the text sections in the Meg.
Lock up your spoons!

Magnetica

Only read Dredd and Demon Nic so far.

I don't know what it is about Nick Percival's art, especially given the obvious amount of effort put in and the talent he has, but instead of reading it going "this is brilliant" and am reading it going "I should be thinking this is brilliant, but some how I am just not sure".

A couple of his depictions of Dredd left me a little non plussed as well. So what is up with the white whiskers on the bottom of the third page? And his teeth are a disgrace on the bottom of the sixth page - a visit to the Justice Dept hygienist is in order  :lol:

Dredd himself has made it clear a Judge should take care over his appearance and not have facial hair (Judge Lopez & the Oracle Spice for example).

I was really confused by the first three pages of Demon Nic. It seemed a non-sequitur with the rest of the story. So who is the guy with the ginger hair and why does Nic suddenly have horns (ok I know he is a demon, but he doesn't have them elsewhere). Hopefully a re-read will make it clearer.

Having previously defended the layouts on this forum, I did find them confusing this month - a couple of times I did not know what order I was meant to be reading the dialogue - the bit about his arrogance  and being trapped with him and the page where M'Gurk attacks Sister Mercy.

Anyway I really enjoyed DeMarco and Dredd last time, so here's hoping for a good 2nd half to the Meg.

Freddychopper

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 January, 2016, 07:54:29 PM
Only read Dredd and Demon Nic so far.

"So what is up with the white whiskers on the bottom of the third page?"

-Unless Dredd has time for a wet shave on his mission (and electric razors won't work in the Gyre), then I think it's fine. I've always liked the slight stubble look on Dredd. Makes him look tougher and older than the average Judge and it's all really down to stylistic choices and artistic license, isn't it? And of course, young Joyce can't grow stubble yet!  ;)

Edited to repair quote—IP

Magnetica

Yeah except he hasn't got there yet.

I am all for the artists interpreting him, the Lawmaster, the Lawgiver, blocks etc differently, but what I an referring to is a plot point written by Wagner and Grant.