Main Menu

Meg 372 - Let's be Blunt

Started by Magnetica, 15 May, 2016, 03:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Buttonman on 19 May, 2016, 06:56:32 PM
Can I emphasize that I am not sensitive nor offended?

That's because you're clearly a [spoiler]cunt.[/spoiler]

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Dredd and Lawless are definitely the highlights for me in the meg at the moment.  I'm in the ROTD? Meg, camp.  Sorry, just not clicking for me.  Other folk like it? Fine.  Just not me.

Blunt gets off to an okay start.  I'd agree that there are a lot of cliche's in it but hey, maybe it will go somewhere unexpected.  Still, not hideous.

Nice to see Second City Blue's getting a re airing.  Has to be one of the hidden gems of that era.  If I remember rightly though I ended up making a lot of comparisons with DC's Deadenders at the time, mainly because of Pleece's art work.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 May, 2016, 07:41:50 PM
Can I emphasize that I am not sensitive nor offended?

That's because you're clearly a [spoiler]cunt.[/spoiler]

Cheers!

Jim

I am offended
Lock up your spoons!

Banners

That episode of Lawless is I reckon one of the best episodes I have ever read, in any comic ever. Superbly crafted and beautifully drawn and lettered, and Pettifer is a genuine, believable and unique character. Furthermore, all of this happening without the lead character. Really, really good stuff. Bravo!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 19 May, 2016, 01:42:42 PM
I think it's great, regardless of being a bit 'rude' for the more sensitive souls.

Can I emphasize that I am not sensitive nor offended?...

Yeah the assumption that you don't like Reign of Gooey Splatter cos your offended is pretty short sighted. I don't like it cos its a bit dull and not very good.

Which is  a shame cos the rest of the Meg has taken a real turn around for the better and 3 of the 4 strips are blinding. Ripping of the Dangles being the exception cos I'm a little lilly livered and cry at... oh no hold on, no its 'cos its getting distracted by the blood and guts and letting slip of character and originality. Shame 'cos the art has its moments.

Dredd was pretty damned good. It was a bit of an all action romp, but sometimes that can be welcome and it used the rompery to nicely show some character moments and move the plot forward really well. The Fury Road of Dredd episodes.

Blunt was a really nice opener. I'm not quite sure why, it just worked. Nicely ploted, nice set up, interesting premise and over all well executed. Loved it and I'm not even a bit fan of Boo Cook's art normally.

But Banner's was right Lawless was simply quite supremely good... well okay wouldn't got as far as to the one of the best episodes ever but it was pretty bloody excellent. Beautiful character piece, majestically realised by Phil Winslade and with a fantastic ending. Just great stuff.

Text stuff a bit weak this month but with three strips as good as they are this month there can't be many complaints.

Ghost MacRoth

Or perhaps it was based on the posts from people saying they were offended. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 20 May, 2016, 11:31:32 PM
Or perhaps it was based on the posts from people saying they were offended. ;)

Well if you've going to bring facts and evidence into the arguement you should just get off the internet!

DrJomster

3/4 for me this month. Good Meg with lots of diversity.

Can't wait for the collected Lawless. Very nice indeed!

Good start to Blunt too.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 May, 2016, 06:47:02 AM

Well if you've going to bring facts and evidence into the arguement you should just get off the internet!

I'll get my coat.....  ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Theblazeuk

Enjoyed all of it, particularly Dredd. Reign isn't going in my classics but it's enjoyable and I'm always intrigued by a mishmash of supernatural beasties along with Blade's Vision of the Vampire Dystopia. It's not Hellboy but it's close enough for now.

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 May, 2016, 03:20:02 PM
Blunt. New series: offworld colony - check.  Leader not popular with his men - check. Some disaster happens and they have to turn to an outsider- check. So, so far not too original then. But hey, let's see how it develops.

I think Blunt will be more interesting once they enter the wilds. From what I gathered from the interview with the script droid (name escapes me), it was something they'd wanted to do for sometime - it gave me the impression of a story that has been slotted into the Dredd-Verse, rather than written specifically for it.

Dan Banks

Where's the love for the Dark Judges short story chaps? For me it was the best thing in the meg bar the supreme Lawless!

Richard

The text story was excellent, and an example of how it should be done.

robert_ellis

Loved the text story - wish they'd commission a new illustration for it! It was perfect!

I, Cosh

We never really die.

maryanddavid

Yeah, I read most interviews, reviews etc however little interest I have in them, but I never read text stories in comics.
Good Meg, great Dredd, great Lawless, the art on both is just sublime. Blunt, interesting, Ill give it a chance, nothing new on show but well told.
ROTD nice art, story is fine, probably will read better in one go.