Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

According to some online Wiki reports Pete Travis originally wanted to be a Social worker. Not the best man perhaps to shoot a Movie about a violent Authority figure then. His other Films [Vantage Point,End Game] are Political thrillers with some underlying conspiracy at their heart.

Pete Travis seems to be more a real world, Politically motivated Film maker rather than someone who would take to Militarized Science Fiction. You could argue that Judge Dredd is a Fascist and therefore has some sort of political backdrop to the story ie: Authority v's Freedom but  Politics isn't the first thing that springs to mind when you think about old stony face.

A Film version of America would have been more to his liking. Perhaps DNA and Pete Travis really didn't understand one and other and it was just that their schedules happened to coincide.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 08 October, 2011, 08:52:14 PM
According to some online Wiki reports Pete Travis originally wanted to be a Social worker. Not the best man perhaps to shoot a Movie about a violent Authority figure then.

We've all had different roles in our lives, they don't all define us.

dracula1

Amen to That Mr. Soap.

Heads up to the Star Trek reboot on the box, Urban nails Bones,...shame about Pegg though.

The Sherman Kid

Don't Panic!Don't Panic! (Watch Dad Army for guidance)
There is a LONG time before the release date, so plenty of space to correct what is required.Garland says he grew up with Dredd ,so frankly I have far more faith in his view and the other producers than I do of Pete Travis.There is a passion from them to get this right  ,which was apparent from the start in their interviews, so I don't think they will make the mistake of making a disjointed film.Fingers crossed

JOE SOAP

It all depends on what Travis' contract says. Was he required to stick around for post-prod or solely hired for the shoot?

As for there being a long time before it's released, it all depends on how any reshoots conflict with Urban's schedule if he's needed elsewhere like he is on Star Trek next year.

Beeks

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 08 October, 2011, 09:23:14 PM
Don't Panic!Don't Panic! (Watch Dad Army for guidance)
There is a LONG time before the release date, so plenty of space to correct what is required.Garland says he grew up with Dredd ,so frankly I have far more faith in his view and the other producers than I do of Pete Travis.There is a passion from them to get this right  ,which was apparent from the start in their interviews, so I don't think they will make the mistake of making a disjointed film.Fingers crossed

Agreed
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Michaelvk

Quote from: clavell on 08 October, 2011, 06:33:10 PM
This is always a bad sign, especially if they end up doing reshoots, but there's a bit of hope. It usually means the direstor hasn't covered all the "marketable points" they want - like a comedy sidekick, a love interest, and a heart warming message. That would mean there is actually a good film to be had from what was shot. We'll just have to wait for the bland theatrical cut to fail, then get a rushed DVD, then finally a "director's cut". Either way, it does't look like they expect a good box office, and are trying to "fix" the film.

- C

If there would be reshoots, I'd know about it, especially if it came down here. Haven't heard anything about any reshoots.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

blackmocco

Quote from: Michaelvk on 08 October, 2011, 11:04:59 PM
Quote from: clavell on 08 October, 2011, 06:33:10 PM
This is always a bad sign, especially if they end up doing reshoots, but there's a bit of hope. It usually means the direstor hasn't covered all the "marketable points" they want - like a comedy sidekick, a love interest, and a heart warming message. That would mean there is actually a good film to be had from what was shot. We'll just have to wait for the bland theatrical cut to fail, then get a rushed DVD, then finally a "director's cut". Either way, it does't look like they expect a good box office, and are trying to "fix" the film.

- C

If there would be reshoots, I'd know about it, especially if it came down here. Haven't heard anything about any reshoots.

Probably way too early to even think about them yet. No doubt actors' schedules need to be looked at.

So curious to know what went wrong when they started looking at the movie put together. I know looking at dailies there's no real way to judge how the movie's going to look.

Was it the performances? Not enough intensity to the action scenes? The tone the producers wanted not coming through properly?

I didn't think much of Vantage Point myself, but it was more down to script stuff than Travis' abilities. He seems more than capable of dealing with the action elements.

I would hope they'll all get back on the same page and either bring Travis back to finish what he started or at the very least bring someone else in as a directing consultant to steady the ship. As good a writer as Garland is and as clearly enthusiastic as he is about Dredd, I get bad chills thinking about leaving this tidy-up to someone with no directorial experience. Even seasoned professionals would tell you how unpleasant it is to have to try address creative differences after a movie's wrapped shooting.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Zarjazzer

If there's going to be re-shoots I demand a place as an extra.

I'm ready for my close up Mr/Mrs-insert name of director here-

and my lines;-

"Drokk!"

"Aaaarghh!"

Ultimately there's nothing any of us can do about it. Hollywood isn't going to be worried about a few nervous types on a forum.

Travis has probably fallen out with the money men and they say what goes cos making films is a business not art as so many europeans wrongly think, which is why the US still has a film industry and we don't.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Michaelvk

Pete is a very soft spoken nice bloke, and is no doubt is very good at what he does. However somehow it strikes me that he was there because they technically needed a director, because the producers were so passionate about the project. Now this, at least in my experience in SA, is unique. Usually the producers I've seen just hum and har about the money being spent.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

You're right Mick, Travis was hired as a technical craftsman, tell the crew how to set up, when to go, gather the required footage. His contract may not have strictly required him to be there for the edit, if it did he was only fulfilling his obligation while Garland & Co. are pushing for something other.

Fuzzed

So you're saying it might not be in Travis' contract to do post edit? So this hullaballoo could be absolutely nothing - simply some people not in the know, who noticed Travis wasn't around, and decided it was DRAMA! and took it to the press?

That's quite reassuring.

I don't know much about the film world and always assumed the director was involved in everything. Never knew he could be just asked to shoot and not put together. That could also explain earlier lack of talk from him re Dredd.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Why would they then announce it in such a way that it sounds like Pete Travis has been thrown off the Project because he wasn't seeing eye to eye with the writer or Producers?

I guess any publicity is better than none but it seems a bit too weird to hire a Director purely to shoot the Film and then cut him out of the post production stage.

I'm sure there's far more going on behind the scenes than we know. Let's hope this will all blow over and everyone connected with the Film get's too work on the DREDD post production stage with gusto and gumpf! Soon, perhaps early next year will see the first Trailer coming along.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

PreacherCain

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 09 October, 2011, 11:29:59 AM

Travis has probably fallen out with the money men and they say what goes cos making films is a business not art as so many europeans wrongly think, which is why the US still has a film industry and we don't.

Nonsense. It's both those things. In regards to cinema, you can't have one without the other.

And Europe doesn't have a film industry like the US because one is a country and the other is a continent. France has a rather lively and profitable film industry, for example. Britain (in my opinion) has made the mistake of attempting to replicate the US system and they can't for a multitude of reasons, like money, size, locations, funding, distribution (though Britain, relative to the US, probably has more talent in terms of writers, directors, actors etc!)

Zarjazzer

Quote from: PreacherCain on 09 October, 2011, 02:18:03 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 09 October, 2011, 11:29:59 AM

Nonsense. It's both those things. In regards to cinema, you can't have one without the other.

And Europe doesn't have a film industry like the US because one is a country and the other is a continent. France has a rather lively and profitable film industry, for example. Britain (in my opinion) has made the mistake of attempting to replicate the US system and they can't for a multitude of reasons, like money, size, locations, funding, distribution (though Britain, relative to the US, probably has more talent in terms of writers, directors, actors etc!)

Art is money. Or at least has become so now. France may indeed have a lively film industry but even with the best will and I like many French films, can't keep pace with the Fordism of Hollywood.  Britain did once have a film industry but alas it is now just handmaiden to the US of A.(as in so many other things).

After that I still hope the Dredd film does well and is as faithful as it can be to the source. Whoever directs/edits it I wish them all the best.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.