Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

I'm still staggered how many nutters on film news talkbacks are complaining about the nose cross-piece.

Gonk

Good point! It's only a minor detail. :lol:

Getting back to the 1995 Dredd, the helmet was important because the removal of it subverted the character of Dredd. It changed the parameters of the film. Instead of the celebration of the 2000ad Judge Dredd character through the medium of film; we ended up with a celebration of film through the medium of the 2000ad Judge Dredd character.

That's why details like the helmet are important; change that too radically and you're not just questioning Dredd but the whole gamut of fiction and storytelling. Film remains a powerful medium.
coming at a cinema near you soon

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: wonkychop on 01 February, 2012, 09:25:58 PM
That's why details like the helmet are important; change that too radically and you're not just questioning Dredd but the whole gamut of fiction and storytelling. Film remains a powerful medium.

I think quality of script/story are far more important than Dredd's helmet. If the film is quality, I mean really quality...is something as superficial as the nose cross-piece going to ruin "the whole gamut of fiction and storytelling"? If so, don't waste your time or money.

Angry Vince

IIRC, The decision to remove the helmet was due to casting Stallone as Judge Dreddish, to paraphrase Danny Cannon (from memory) - "you don't spend $15,000,000 on a star like Stallone and not show his face".
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Angry Vince on 01 February, 2012, 10:04:06 PM
IIRC, The decision to remove the helmet was due to casting Stallone as Judge Dreddish, to paraphrase Danny Cannon (from memory) - "you don't spend $15,000,000 on a star like Stallone and not show his face".

I always felt Stallone could have played Rico AND Dredd - keeping his helmet on as Dredd and mugging for the camera as Rico. To be completely honest, Stallone certainly has the chin for Dredd...if nothing else.

Misanthrope

QuoteTo be completely honest, Stallone certainly has the chin for Dredd...if nothing else.

Sadly, his mouth is above it.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Bat King

Quote from: Misanthrope on 01 February, 2012, 11:04:13 PM
QuoteTo be completely honest, Stallone certainly has the chin for Dredd...if nothing else.

Sadly, his mouth is above it.

Excellent!

I'm not sure about the size of the helmet.  Need to see them moving around and more Judges to be certain.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Angry Vince on 01 February, 2012, 10:04:06 PM

Casting Stallone was the reason it got made.

I, Cosh

Quote from: dracula1 on 31 January, 2012, 04:34:21 PM
With only 7 months to go till D-day . . .The Dredd movie promo' machine rolls on!
Hmm. I bet there will be absolutely no other films released in the second half of the year which I've not heard of yet.
We never really die.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 01 February, 2012, 10:13:56 PM
I always felt Stallone could have played Rico AND Dredd - keeping his helmet on as Dredd and mugging for the camera as Rico. To be completely honest, Stallone certainly has the chin for Dredd...if nothing else.

Now THERE'S an idea that could've solved the problem(s) of Dredd not removing his helmet, the fact he and Rico are supposed to be clones of each other, not to mention having ol' Sly's obscene $15m salary justified by showing his mug throughout the film's duration... where were you in 1994, Locusts dude, when we needed you!?  You could've even had Rico's face scarred like in the source comic-book story, The Return of Rico , and that way you could've ha-... alright, that's it, I can't talk about this film anymore, how in heaven's name can such a hamfistedly and cackhandedly executed film generate such debate 17 years after it flopped and is universally derided by one and all, I really need to get a life (quiet in the back there!) about THAT BLOODY FILM, I'm off for a nice lie down now, I feel a little faint :crazy:...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

NSFTM

Quote from: The Cosh on 02 February, 2012, 12:31:32 AM
Quote from: dracula1 on 31 January, 2012, 04:34:21 PM
With only 7 months to go till D-day . . .The Dredd movie promo' machine rolls on!
Hmm. I bet there will be absolutely no other films released in the second half of the year which I've not heard of yet.

The worry that i have about the promotion of the film is that the companies involved already have an infrastructure in place to market it. but still nothing substantial on the promotional front

They have a website, a dedicate magazine, a publishing arm, a games company,  they really should be utilizing them better
It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: NSFTM on 02 February, 2012, 07:19:06 AM
The worry that i have about the promotion of the film is that the companies involved already have an infrastructure in place to market it. but still nothing substantial on the promotional front
They have a website, a dedicate magazine, a publishing arm, a games company,  they really should be utilizing them better

I understand your concern (and possible frustration) at the lack of promotion thus far on Dredd, but you have to give IM Global and Lionsgate some room on this, it's in their own financial interests to promote the film properly, and I am certain they have a game-plan for it, be patient, just a little while longer, it's still a whole seven-and-a-half months until Dredd's release, plenty of time left to create maximum awareness and interest in the movie, I guarantee the teaser trailer will be released before March is out, have faith brother...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

... well, just under eight months until release, to be more accurate, but you get my drift...

TordelBack

Thing is, with the Stallone Dredd we were bombarded with ghastly photo-covers and breathless features shoving that golden codpiece down our throats for what seemed like years in advance, and I hated it even before I saw the bloody thing.  Ditto the Dredd vs Death promotion, with its ugly sprite or model or whatever it is they call those things these days (although I subsequently enjoyed the game a lot).  TBH, I'm pleasantly surprised that I haven't yet been beaten into apathy by cross-media advertising on this one.       

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 February, 2012, 08:15:13 AM

Thing is, with the Stallone Dredd we were bombarded with ghastly photo-covers and breathless features shoving that golden codpiece down our throats for what seemed like years in advance, and I hated it even before I saw the bloody thing.  Ditto the Dredd vs Death promotion, with its ugly sprite or model or whatever it is they call those things these days cacking up the cover (although I subsequently enjoyed the game a lot).  TBH, I'm pleasantly surprised that I haven't yet been beaten into apathy by cross-media advertising on this one.