Main Menu

Fantasy sequel Thread.

Started by darnmarr, 27 June, 2012, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Misanthrope on 14 July, 2012, 02:35:52 AM

Except set in the Future!

Not all future shocks were set in the future.

But they're branded with a nice picture of Tharg, which makes all the difference.

Beeks

Just been re-reading the 'Mega City Undercover' trade

I'd love Lenny to be in a sequel
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Misanthrope on 14 July, 2012, 02:35:52 AM

Except set in the Future!

Not all future shocks were set in the future.

Yeah but since they were set in the past, they were still written in the future.

Electromud

Quote from: Beeks on 14 July, 2012, 10:30:53 PM
Just been re-reading the 'Mega City Undercover' trade

I'd love Lenny to be in a sequel

I think that would fit really well. Or at the very least a name drop. I'd love to see a Dirty Frank cameo as well.
...the mask..the costume..the weapons..you know what I smell? I smell vigilante. And I don't like vigilantes!

Beaky Smoochies

Has anyone considered the possibility that if Dredd is only a modest success at the box-office, say around the $120m mark worldwide (give or take a few mill either way), we'll definitely get a sequel, but it may not have the budget needed to pull off an epic narrative like the 'Origins'/Cursed Earth story that Alex Garland has in mind. 

If Dredd does decent but not gangbusters (which I hope and pray it does, don't get me wrong) business, and DNA Films get, say, a $60m (3-D cost included) budget for the sequel, would it make sense, both practically as well as commercially, to make the Dark Judges script that Alex Garland was working on for a whole year, for the following reasons;

1) Having already gone through something like sixteen drafts of the Dark Judges script, it could be turned into a full shooting script relatively quickly.

2) If the Dark Judges script could be written relatively quickly, the sequel could be turned around in equally decent time, maybe even quick enough for a production start next summer or autumn/fall, meaning a tentative release date of September 2014, just two years after the release of Dredd, to strike whilst the iron is hot, so to speak...

3) Even casual comic and sci-fi fans not overly familiar with 2000 A.D. and the minutiae of Dredd's world and mythology have heard of Judge Death, and the prospect of having one of the most widely-known and iconic comic-book villains finally realized on the big screen would be a compelling commercial prospect, dare I say more than the 'Origins' idea, if you're the powers-that-be at Reliance and IM Global, what would YOU think has the better box-office appeal; Judge Death in all his grisly glory, or Fargo and Rico in a backstory....?

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely hope we get a full Dredd movie trilogy, but I think we need to consider 'what if' scenarios, a bumper box-office for Dredd is not guaranteed, but enough for a sequel with a slightly larger budget and featuring the Dark Judges will do me just fine, my opinion anyway...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

radiator

Re: budget, presumably they'd be able hit the ground running with a sequel (even if it isn't much more than $40m again), as they already have a lot of design work, props and costumes bought and paid for. They might even have kept things like the bikes around so they can be used again.

Steve Green

I don't think it would make a huge impact on available budget having the costumes and props already, and to be honest I'd like to see them have another crack at the bike, and for that matter tweak the costumes to keep it fresh.

I'd like to see whether 3D could be dispensed with and the money from that used on the rest.

Without the slo-mo conceit is 3D really worth it?

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/13/tech/gaming-gadgets/3-d-hype-bubble-finally-busted/index.html

It's certainly not in as strong a position as when Dredd was being greenlit.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 July, 2012, 01:25:11 PM
I'd like to see whether 3D could be dispensed with and the money from that used on the rest.
Without the slo-mo conceit is 3D really worth it?
It's certainly not in as strong a position as when Dredd was being greenlit.

Considering that Dredd secured financing at the height of the post-Avatar 3-D craze, it's likely the stereoscopic requirement was a prerequisite of getting said financing, and whilst the slo-mo effect certainly justifies the 3-D in Dredd, circa 2012, by the time the sequel comes around in 2014 or 2015 - the latter more likely - the public's love affair/tolerance for 3-D in films may have expired by then.  I agree that should a Dredd sequel be greenlit, contractual obligations notwithstanding, they should ditch the stereoscopic images and throw the full weight of whatever budget they eventually secure on production values... when people watch Dredd ten years from now, the fact it was shot and released in 3-D won't even be mentioned, the quality of the film, however, will be.
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

The Adventurer

Based on this Empire Magazine news piece...

QuoteGarland, meanwhile, shares some pointers on where, should Dredd do the requisite box office, a possible trilogy might take Mega-City One's finest. Short answer: outside Mega-City One, because "outside is this desert terrain, The Cursed Earth". And could there be a place in the story for the don of dark judges himself, Judge Death? Find in Empire's September issue.

The idea that Judge Death and the Dark Judges, rather then being super-natural fiends from another dimension, could rather be group of irradiated Cursed Earth mutants acting as a twisted mirror to the Judges of Mega-City 1... I could totally see that working in a satisfying way.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Goaty

Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 July, 2012, 11:45:20 PM
Based on this Empire Magazine news piece...

QuoteGarland, meanwhile, shares some pointers on where, should Dredd do the requisite box office, a possible trilogy might take Mega-City One's finest. Short answer: outside Mega-City One, because "outside is this desert terrain, The Cursed Earth". And could there be a place in the story for the don of dark judges himself, Judge Death? Find in Empire's September issue.

The idea that Judge Death and the Dark Judges, rather then being super-natural fiends from another dimension, could rather be group of irradiated Cursed Earth mutants acting as a twisted mirror to the Judges of Mega-City 1... I could totally see that working in a satisfying way.

The Hills Have Eyes?

PsychoGoatee

If you're gonna do the Dark Judges, might as well be faithful. Them being human mutants doesn't really make them special. Them being so otherworldly and shocking is key for me.

Hell yeah, I'd love to see a sequel have Judge Death and the Dark Judges. Mixing horror into the genre mix would be a great touch for a sequel.

That said, there are many stories to tell, I'd also enjoy some Cursed Earth action, or even just a story involving any of the many great Mega City stories.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I don't know about everyone else, but to me, the most iconic thing about the Dark Judges is their image. Not where they come from.

They have just got to be brought to the screen, and I don't think being from another dimension would work in this world they have created. It has to have a bit of realism to it, and being twisted psychotic mutants with physic powers works for me. Or even better, their origins don't even have to be explained. They could just appear.

Dredd won't ask where they come from, or why they are here. He will just be trying to stop them.

As for the trilogy idea, I would much rather see the Dark Judges and Mega City One in the second one. I think every film now is going to be a gamble with no guarantee of one after it, and there is still so much of Mega City One to see, it would be a shame to go out to the cursed earth in number two, then never see another film.

If they treat the films more episodic then like a trilogy arc, I think that would work better too. Then we aren't left with a cliffhanger that will never get resolved, but plus each film will stand up on it's own. And of course, my main reason for wanting this is, they could make endless amounts of them. Which also works as a kind of homage to the 80s action movie style that Dredd had.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 10 September, 2012, 01:44:49 PM
As for the trilogy idea, I would much rather see the Dark Judges and Mega City One in the second one. I think every film now is going to be a gamble with no guarantee of one after it, and there is still so much of Mega City One to see, it would be a shame to go out to the cursed earth in number two, then never see another film.

If you introduce such heavy and extreme characters like the Dark Judges into a film then narratively and thematically it's hard to go any further after that as they are kind of the ultimate antagonists for Dredd, the Judges and the City.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2012, 01:52:06 PM
If you introduce such heavy and extreme characters like the Dark Judges into a film then narratively and thematically it's hard to go any further after that as they are kind of the ultimate antagonists for Dredd, the Judges and the City.

True, but then again I think it could work, as it puts across that Dredd's job is a never ending one. He defeats the cities ultimate foe, but then life goes on. Some other creeps are causing trouble. Though I would quite like to see the Cursed Earth, so maybe going out there after the Dark Judges would be different enough so they don't actually need to make a worse foe.