Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlurbaninternational

Yeah. Not many time to promote Dredd this year.

Rex The Runt

Hey guys. 
What do y'all think about if/when a trailer is released actually NOT watching it?

I decided on this line of action a while ago when I felt trailers were giving away WAY too much and leaving nothing new for when I actually watched the movie.  They tend to throw all the big ooh-aah money shots in them so you tend to feel them coming up and there's absolutely NO surprise on the day.

Consequently apart from some still pics, I've seen not a single second of footage from Prometheus, TDKR, Hobbit, and Dredd will be the same.  So every time a shot comes up that'll be the first time I see it, as the filmmakers intended, not the marketing machine.

I regard trailers nowadays as spoilers!

As a longtime fan of the comics I really don't need a trailer to tell me I want to see a Dredd film, but when I do it will be fresh!  Anyone concur?
@roguetrooper815

JOE SOAP

Better stay off this thread so.

darnmarr

You have a point, Runty my boy- unfortunately Joe Has a point too: I concur in principle, I'm a life-long 'trailer-avoiderer' (for the exact reasons you mention). However, I must admit that curiosity will probably get the better of me on this one...
Can't help meself I s'pose.
If you want to keep your brain clear for a viewing experience it probably is good advice to steer clear of this thread, ( mind you there's so little coming down the line at the moment that we've already digressed into politics/religion and the suitability of Bruce Forsythe in the title role).

radiator

QuoteWhat do y'all think about if/when a trailer is released actually NOT watching it?

Oh, absolutely. I try and avoid trailers as much as possible - I didn't watch any of the Inception trailers and enjoyed the film all the more for it, and try to limit myself only to teasers for most other films like The Avengers and Prometheus.

Dredd, though.... I haven't been so excited for a film since The Phantom Menace and I just know I'm going to devour every morsel of info that is released, and will inevitably watch any and all trailers dozens of times.

karlurbaninternational

The whole internet is a spoiler bag.
*throwing a quote from Karl in here, you can read it likewise in terms of Dredd*

KU: Any advice for men to live by? Hmmm. Wow. Yes. I think pretty well one of the most important philosophies to live by is "don't do today what you can put off doing until tomorrow."

SM: That's an interesting one.

KU: Hah. I'm joking. The most important piece of advice is I think if there is a football match, or a basketball match or some sporting fixture you've recorded, don't go online, don't read the papers, don't answer the phone until you've watched it. Nothing worse than having the score blown before you've seen the game.

Read more: http://www.shavemagazine.com/entertainment/interview-karl-urban/

Angry Vince

Quote from: radiator on 16 April, 2012, 09:19:32 AM
Dredd, though.... I haven't been so excited for a film since The Phantom Menace and I just know I'm going to devour every morsel of info that is released, and will inevitably watch any and all trailers dozens of times.

Not the best film to compare Dredd with!
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 16 April, 2012, 09:19:32 AMI haven't been so excited for a film since The Phantom Menace

Brilliant!   :lol:

Goaty

Five months to go... :)

dweezil2

Quote from: Goaty on 17 April, 2012, 11:04:26 AM

Bit premature there Goaty! Release date is 21/09/12 if I'm not mistaken?

I can understand your enthusiasm though! :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Goaty

Quote from: dweezil2 on 17 April, 2012, 11:37:30 AM

Bit premature there Goaty! Release date is 21/09/12 if I'm not mistaken?

I can understand your enthusiasm though! :)

Well, gotta to as lots negatives on here! It only quiet month, as with The Raid out, as can easy confused people, but really looking forward to Dredd film in September. No News is good News.

JOE SOAP

Only two weeks to Chaos though.

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 April, 2012, 12:10:15 PM

Only two weeks to Chaos though.

Thanks for not spolier any, always get Prog on Wednesday, as people here talks about what happens in Chaos this week... (wonder what it is, but gotta wait till tomorrow morning!)

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Jock created the poster for Dredd is that right ?
Never rub another mans rhubarb

radiator

Jock has created a poster for Dredd, yes. Perhaps not the poster though.

Perhaps I'm being a little unfair, but I always associate Entertainment - the UK distributors of Dredd - with really naff, dated-looking design on their posters/DVD covers etc, but looking at their website it seems they have improved somewhat in recent years.

I can remember them still rocking this monstrosity as their logo in the mid-noughties: