Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 26 April, 2012, 12:04:54 AM
Rooster Cogburn is a mean SOB in both versions of True Grit and the addition of more graphic violence in the second version didn't make him any tougher.

Rooster Cogburn doesn't live in Mega-City-One.

Professor Bear

That's why it has a crime problem.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 April, 2012, 08:02:38 PM
Dredd will be released Friday 7th September rather than the 21st in the UK.
http://www.filmdates.co.uk/films/2146-dredd/

Hope that's official, good scoop Joe dude :thumbsup:...

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 26 April, 2012, 12:07:37 AM
Dredd is the meanest mother who ever lived and has no problem with shooting criminals. 12a could never be an option.
In fact, I am pretty sure right from the get go they said this was going to be a hard R.

Indeed they did, and kudos to DNA Films for staying true to their word concerning the level of violence in Dredd, you simply CANNOT do the character justice (no pun intended) onscreen by toning down the violence, it's what gives JD that visceral edge that I thought was just the coolest thing ever when I started reading the comic back in the mid-1980's, always felt should be part of any movie adaptation, and thankfully is for this one...

Learn the lesson(s) of the RoboCop  and Conan the Barbarian  franchises; classic first installments, were extremely violent and very much R-rated...  followed by crappy sequels/spin-offs that toned down violence for PG-13 ratings (RoboCop 2 's R-rating notwithstanding, but still crappy), thereby emasculating the character(s), blunting the edginess of those worlds, and pretty much killing off any further installments, 'nuff said...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

malkymac

There were not many Garth Ennis Dredds that i really enjoyed but there was one called 'Firepower' drawn by Colin MacNeill that concerned Dredd taking out a gang of mutants in 3 minutes.

If that story had not shown graphically the effects of the bullets and bike cannon then it would have been a waste of time.

radiator

There's a certain bleakness about Dredd - a flippancy to it's attitude regarding life and death and a black streak in it's humour - and it's been that way since day one. Quite often, those on the receiving end of Dredd's instant justice don't 'deserve' what they get - it's all integral to the appeal of the character. Fine in a comic - more problematic to portray in a live-action movie.

I'll say again - I agree that a Dredd film doesn't need to be ultra-violent, but I do believe that even if the filmmakers tried to play it safe and aim for a bloodless 12A/PG13 rating, they could well end up overshooting it simply because of the concept - as was the case with the Stallone version - that film very much pulled it's punches but still got lumbered with an R/15 rating. With that in mind, the producers may as well go all out and have a bit of fun with it (and as most of Garland's films have some pretty inventively nasty gore, I'm keen to see what he's come up with for this!).

CYCLOPZ

Whenever Dredd gets too violent in the comics, I close my eyes.  :|

The Sherman Kid

Saw Lockout last night at the flicks, I'd never even heard of it but there was Guy Pierce on the poster and Luc Bessons name too so we'd thought we'd give it a try.

As films go it was definately a Meh rating,a good plot idea (reminded me of Harry 20), some very good lines in it ,but poorly executed.The reason I bring it up is that I had a look at it's budget which came in at $30 mill ($10 mill less than Dredd), but despite this the set designs were good (but limited in scope and number) and most (not all) the SFX were pretty solid.Dredd having $10 mill more and making it go farer in South Africa should put on a better display (hopefully with a better sfx company too), but I though that it gave me a benchmark of what to expect with Dredd.

Goaty

Posters for The Expendables 2 is out today, it's Lionsgate film, as it out in Summer, so Dredd's would be soon...

http://www.impawards.com/2012/expendables_two_ver6.html

Bat King

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 26 April, 2012, 01:51:16 PM
Whenever Dredd gets too violent in the comics, I close my eyes.  :|

LMAO

I just read faster... Then go back a page or two to check I read it right.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 26 April, 2012, 01:53:29 PM
The reason I bring it up is that I had a look at it's budget which came in at $30 mill ($10 mill less than Dredd), but despite this the set designs were good (but limited in scope and number) and most (not all) the SFX were pretty solid.Dredd having $10 mill more and making it go farer in South Africa should put on a better display (hopefully with a better sfx company too), but I though that it gave me a benchmark of what to expect with Dredd.

Dredd has a $45m budget, Sherman dude, so that's a whole $15m more, and considering most of Dredd is set in a residential block, plus the fact it was cost-effectively shot in South Africa, I think it's fair to predict we're going to get not just a great looking movie, but a fantastic looking JUDGE DREDD movie...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

... forget to mention one more thing, if Dredd has been alredy rated by the MPAA, anyone got an inkling when we ahould see a similar classification from the BBFC?

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 27 April, 2012, 01:46:20 AM
... forget to mention one more thing, if Dredd has been alredy rated by the MPAA, anyone got an inkling when we ahould see a similar classification from the BBFC?

Thanks Beaky.Out of interest and I think someone mentioned it earlier, when does the running time normally come out for a film.If it's got a rating surely that means a final cut has been made and a running time firmly established (or could that still change?)

Dudley

Quote from: Professah Byah on 25 April, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
Gore won't make the story any smarter, it'll just appeal to a more easily-pleased punter, and of all the great PG films in existence, I'm not sure which ones could have been improved by the addition of graphic gunshot wounds.

Beethoven?

dweezil2

Quote from: Dudley on 27 April, 2012, 08:17:28 AM
Quote from: Professah Byah on 25 April, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
Gore won't make the story any smarter, it'll just appeal to a more easily-pleased punter, and of all the great PG films in existence, I'm not sure which ones could have been improved by the addition of graphic gunshot wounds.

Beethoven?

You're thinking of Cujo!

Oh, and anything with Adam Sandler in it!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Stan

It's a shame they didn't keep Superbutt's return to Krypton and excise Lois's entire family from the film (along with emo Lois). It would've been much better, I think. There was so much wasted potential there.

And yaaaaay for R ratings. :thumbsup: