Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I think they saw how The Avengers completely destroyed Battleship at the US box office, and figured The Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus were going to do the same for GIJ2.

Tbh I don't think Dredd is competing in the same playing field as those types of films - it doesn't need to make such an insane amount of money to break even.

IndigoPrime

My hope is Dredd will do a Hellboy. If it can rake in ~$70m, it'll be laughing. My hope is it doesn't do a Serenity—or worse.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quietly confident that although Dredd will start slow in reaping a fanbase and cash,  it will accrue a cult following akin to how DonnieDarko grew with its fanbase. Thats my hopes for it and if it replicates that similar vein ill be happy.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 25 May, 2012, 01:53:10 PM
I think they saw how The Avengers completely destroyed Battleship at the US box office, and figured The Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus were going to do the same for GIJ2.

From screenings the whole thing was reported, apparently,  to be a mess, if it'd been a solid film they would've just put it out or delayed it till September/October/November. Delaying it for 9 months suggests there'll be extensive re-shoots and patching up. It's unprecedented to pull a finished film a month before release.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 May, 2012, 01:57:17 PM
My hope is Dredd will do a Hellboy. If it can rake in ~$70m, it'll be laughing. My hope is it doesn't do a Serenity—or worse.

Didn't Serenity have massive DVD sales, enough to warrant a sequel, but it didn't happen anyway?

Reading that article was interesting.I thought the gap between 2D and 3D wasn't that big anymore in terms of raising interest in a particular film ,but apparently it is.Also 3D ticket prices make a big difference in terms of generating revenue -I thought that was marginal ,and cancelled out largely anyway by the fact that fewer cinemas could show a 3D film.This bodes well for the Dredd film then.

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 May, 2012, 02:42:47 PM
Quote from: radiator on 25 May, 2012, 01:53:10 PM

From screenings the whole thing was reported, apparently,  to be a mess, if it'd been a solid film they would've just put it out or delayed it till September/October/November. Delaying it for 9 months suggests there'll be extensive re-shoots and patching up. It's unprecedented to pull a finished film a month before release.

Also, apparently the preview screenings had test cards asking all about Channing Tatum and his character so the rumors are they're going to reshoot and center the movie more around him. Seeing as he's the next big thing'n'all...

Well, Serenity's biggest problem was it was essentially an entire season of a show that, despite having a pretty rabid fanbase, wasn't very well known squished into a two hour movie. If you hadn't seen the show and watched the movie (as plenty of people I know have done) you're seriously at a disadvantage...

Just also like to point out I didn't say Dredd's trailer would be in front of Prometheus. Just that two forum jockeys did. And one of them turned out to be you-know-who. So it's probably not...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

The extra cost of shooting a film in 3D- rather than post conversion- which amounts to around 18% of budget is usually made back by higher ticket prices, so I wouldn't say it adds a huge amount of profit to most films but it would to something like Avengers.

JOE SOAP

Serenity only got made cos they canceled Firefly and it didn't really have anywhere else to go after the story arc had concluded.

IndigoPrime

I know plenty of people who watched Serenity and hadn't seen Firefly. They misread a couple of things, but it was far from impenetrable. My point, though, was purely about numbers. On box office, Serenity barely made back its budget, and thereby fell significantly short of breaking even. Reportedly, it broke even on shiny disc sales, but that's not enough to guarantee further films. By contrast, Hellboy, despite Sony's oddball release schedule, did well enough to justify the rather spiffy sequel.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

From John Wagner on Facebook

QuoteI went up to London yesterday to see the completed Dredd film. I've had reservations about certain aspects of it, and made them plain to the team at DNA. All but one of them - a little quibble at the beginning - have been addressed. And what a lot they've added. Music is on the button. SFX are excellent. Filming is impressive. I've not seen a modern 3-D movie before but I like it. I found myself reaching out trying to touch things that were dancing before my eyes. Karl is a great Dredd and Olivia gets Anderson completely. This is Dredd as it should be done - true to character, visceral, unrelentingly violent (but not off-puttingly so). It will open, I believe, sometime in September. No doubt you'll let me know what you think when you've seen it, but this has my recommendation.

Never rub another mans rhubarb

Beeks

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 25 May, 2012, 05:54:10 PM
From John Wagner on Facebook

QuoteI went up to London yesterday to see the completed Dredd film. I've had reservations about certain aspects of it, and made them plain to the team at DNA. All but one of them - a little quibble at the beginning - have been addressed. And what a lot they've added. Music is on the button. SFX are excellent. Filming is impressive. I've not seen a modern 3-D movie before but I like it. I found myself reaching out trying to touch things that were dancing before my eyes. Karl is a great Dredd and Olivia gets Anderson completely. This is Dredd as it should be done - true to character, visceral, unrelentingly violent (but not off-puttingly so). It will open, I believe, sometime in September. No doubt you'll let me know what you think when you've seen it, but this has my recommendation.

The seal of approval on the finishes product

Arsom
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Danbo

Doesn't get much better than that....I'm now officially REALLY excited.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 25 May, 2012, 06:25:10 PM
Doesn't get much better than that....I'm now officially REALLY excited.

Oh my GRUD, I'm going to EXpLoDE!!!  The Wagner seal of approval!  There's no words!!!!

dracula1

At last the first bit of real DREDD PR next to the Empire  pics from way back. Mr. Wagner you are  the Law!  :-)

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 May, 2012, 01:57:17 PM

Do you mean $70m worldwide, Indigo dude, if so, I certainly hope it does a heckuva lot more than that, or we'll not get a sequel, personally if it's as good as John Wagner himself thinks it is, and the trailer/advertising/marketing attracts a good crowd out to see it, plus taking into account the likely restricted rating it will receive in most territories, I think it stands a good chance of doing Watchmen  numbers at the box-office worldwide, around $180m or thereabouts, if it becomes a sleeper hit, then $200m-plus is not unreasonable (like District 9  ended up doing), in either case, we'll definitely get a sequel two or three years later with a substantially increased budget... and a certain skeletal ghoul in it hopefully!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.