Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraveNoir

Quote from: opaque on 01 June, 2012, 02:27:51 PM
I don't know if its been mentioned but is it likely that there will be 2D as well as 3D versions of Dredd in the cinema?

Very highly likely indeed as that's what happens with all other 3D films.

wadew1

So I guess that Dredd facebook page was a fake? It seems to be gone.

And I don't remember THE RAID slowing down much. I actually thought the nonstop action got exhausting at certain points. There was some shaky cam at the beginning, but everything was clear during all of the hand to hand fights. If I had to guess, I'd say DREDD will have more annoying shaky cam than THE RAID. I'm basing this on Pete Travis' last movie VANTAGE POINT, which was a shaky cam mess of a movie.

JOE SOAP

JOE SOAP

Quote from: wadew1 on 01 June, 2012, 02:52:50 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say DREDD will have more annoying shaky cam than THE RAID. I'm basing this on Pete Travis' last movie VANTAGE POINT, which was a shaky cam mess of a movie.

So have you seen any of the films Anthony Dod Mantle has shot? It's not advisable to have too much shaky cam in 3D so I don't think there'll be too much and judging by the rigs and gear they've built for the film I don't think it's all hand-held.

wadew1

thanks for the facebook link.

And you'd think there would be a good amount of handheld in DREDD since a lot of the movie takes place in hallways, but who knows?

JOE SOAP

It depends on the cutting too and it's a lot harder to throw around a large 3D rig -incl. two cameras- on your shoulder so I'd say a lot of it uses gimbaled Steadicams for long tracks.

CraveNoir

3D steadicams were used during production, but considering how heavy they're supposed to be, I imagine any major shakiness to be applied in post... as it often is anyway.

James Stacey

god I hope not. It's a despicable fad. I still feel nauseous just thinking about Cloverfield.

Stan

Quote from: CraveNoir on 01 June, 2012, 02:51:07 PM
Quote from: opaque on 01 June, 2012, 02:27:51 PM
I don't know if its been mentioned but is it likely that there will be 2D as well as 3D versions of Dredd in the cinema?

Very highly likely indeed as that's what happens with all other 3D films.

Well not always. I couldn't find Tron in 2D so had to endure the goggles, and expense.

opaque

Quote from: Stan on 01 June, 2012, 03:36:35 PMWell not always. I couldn't find Tron in 2D so had to endure the goggles, and expense.

That's the thing. Theres likely to be a 2d/3d version on bluray when it gets released later but not every movie has it as an option, especially if it's not a 'big one' or theres a lot of competition. In some cinemas at certain times it's hard to find the major films in 2D, let alone a more 'indie' one like Dredd.

radiator

I'm not a fan of 3d but it wouldn't put me off going to see something.

I imagine I'll be seeing DREDD in both 2D and 3D - I'm quite intrigued what they've done with the 3D aspect, as it's been shot specifically (not dodgily post-converted) and IIRC they mounted 3D cameras on vehicles for a car chase sequence which has never been done before. And let's face it - who doesn't want to see [spoiler]people's heads exploding in 3D and slow motion?[/spoiler]

I'm also curious to see how they utilise it in conjunction with the cinematography which has been described in terms of pin sharp extreme close-ups (which should look incredible in 3D), 'use of negative space', 'painterly compositions'.... It does sound like it'll be an interesting looking film if nothing else.

Stan

Quote from: opaque on 01 June, 2012, 04:00:10 PM
Quote from: Stan on 01 June, 2012, 03:36:35 PMWell not always. I couldn't find Tron in 2D so had to endure the goggles, and expense.

That's the thing. Theres likely to be a 2d/3d version on bluray when it gets released later but not every movie has it as an option, especially if it's not a 'big one' or theres a lot of competition. In some cinemas at certain times it's hard to find the major films in 2D, let alone a more 'indie' one like Dredd.

Yeah, that's what bothers me about the whole 3D thing. Generally speaking. Though, like Radiator I'm a little curious to see why they thought it necessary for Dredd so I don't mind donning the goggles for this one.

At all other times though it's annoying when there's no choice.

Glenn Broadway

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 01 June, 2012, 02:19:14 PM
Just realised though that it is the same font used on that fan poster I posted recently.

The lower half of the characters are more squat that those in the fan poster. Look at the R in particular (font nerd graphic designer here).

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 June, 2012, 02:54:36 PM
Quote from: wadew1 on 01 June, 2012, 02:52:50 PM
So I guess that Dredd facebook page was a fake? It seems to be gone.

http://www.facebook.com/dreddthemovie

Would it kill them to stick something, ANYthing, in the profile pic? A sad, sad sight...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

darnmarr

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 01 June, 2012, 05:03:52 PM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 01 June, 2012, 02:19:14 PM
Just realised though that it is the same font used on that fan poster I posted recently.

The lower half of the characters are more squat that those in the fan poster. Look at the R in particular (font nerd graphic designer here).
Yep I thought it was 'Impact', but the 'R' says no.