Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

I'd have been deeply disappointed if the Dredd logo was just Impact font.

Glenn Broadway

Regarding the earlier conversation about 3D (I hate this thread):

I've never seen a film in 3D either - I only have one focusing eye (the other one does still work, sort of!).

I'm overjoyed today that I've just found somewhere within 20 miles of me showing Prometheus in 2D. Even better, it's an independent, almost-art-house-cinema, so hopefully there'll be a dearth of texting plebs to infuriate me.

When will 3D finally go away? (Magic eye pictures are a mystery to me also.)

darnmarr

Quote from: James Stacey on 01 June, 2012, 05:17:29 PM
I'd have been deeply disappointed if the Dredd logo was just Impact font.
It really almost is though:

darnmarr

James Stacey

At least 'almost' means some design thought has gone into it.

wadew1

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 01 June, 2012, 05:23:50 PM

Soon I hope.
The prices are too high and 3D usually adds nothing to the movie experience for me. However, since DREDD is one of those rare 3D films that was actually filmed in 3D, I might check it out.

Adrian Bamforth

I've never seen a film in 3D either - I only have one focusing eye (the other one does still work, sort of!).

Go to the 3D showing and demand a third off!

It'll be worth it just for the reaction!

Steve Green

Ah, I would have loved it if it had been the 70s ragged version.

Seems like it would have been a good fit for the beaten-up retro vibe they're going for.

HunterZolomon

I've seen plenty of 3D movies but I have yet to see one that actually benefits from it. Also, the crap 3D glasses that you get with the ticket are shit. You need to buy better ones simply to make the experience bearable.

Psidude

still nothing :( check back in next week this is getting depression ! is there even a web site up yet for the film??

JOE SOAP

Prometheus benefits not one jot from 3D, in fact it damages the viewing experience because of the diminished light and lost detail. It also seems Scott made no effort to get anything out of it. No long takes with deep movement or good tracking shots that would make it worthwhile. Don't see why they bothered shooting it in 3D at all.

I'd say Travis & Dod Mantle may make more of an effort and since Dod Mantle doesn't like cluttering his compositions with industrial design objects we may experience some decent staging.

Michaelvk

I must say the few times I caught a monitor it looked very very nice.. But that was squinting through the 3D on the on set monitors.. I didn't bother after a while..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Mark Taylor

Quote from: wadew1 on 01 June, 2012, 05:37:54 PM

Soon I hope.

Don't hold your breaths. It's here to stay this time. I don't mean to be negative but thinking it will go away is wishful thinking. Like it or not, it's more likely that 2D will go the way of monochrome and silent movies. To future generations it will be little more than a quaint, archaic curiosity.

Mudcrab

Regarding the earlier conversation about 3D (I hate this thread):

I'm overjoyed today that I've just found somewhere within 20 miles of me showing Prometheus in 2D. Even better, it's an independent, almost-art-house-cinema, so hopefully there'll be a dearth of texting plebs to infuriate me.

I'm the same. Never seen a magic eye picture and I can remember watching Tomorrow's World (in early 80s) and the 3d only working cos I wore glasses then. I do again now, due to a failing/aging good eye, but there's just no way I'm putting glasses on top of glasses to watch a gimmick. So for me, no 2d, no sale, will wait for the BR. Shouldn't be a problem mind, plenty cinemas here and only 1 has 3d I think.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Richmond Clements

Yeah! Bring back betamax!