Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malkymac

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 04 June, 2012, 08:11:10 AM
If it sits somewhere along my cheesy B movie shelf besides Pitch Black,Underworld/s,Outlander,Red,Centurion and Dog Soldiers without embarrassing its self then I'll be more than happy.
Not expecting the next Starwars,Bladerunner,Inception or Pulp Fiction,just a cool  little 3 star film that will automatically get and extra star from me because its fucking Dredd.
Not too much to hope for is it?

I throughly enjoyed all those movies and you could also add 'Doomsday' to that list (which had a budget of $30M but still managed to do great things with it).

Actually chuck in 28 weeks later as well for good measure.

HunterZolomon

The Mist is my favorite surprise hit in recent years. It cost $18M. If Dredd does that good, I'll be very, very happy.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I thought that film was rubbish!

HunterZolomon

Your opinion is rubbish.  :lol:

Seriously, you don't like Darabont or was it something else? The nutty christian lady and the ending did it for me.

MR. ELIMINATOR

The ending I really liked, the rest not so much.

Zanti Misfit

The Mist: Quite impressed with the bleak/grim tone, and the Lovecraftian beasties at the end, but the God-bothering stereotype got on my wick, and there were too many spiders (hate 'em!) so I gave the DVD away.

How about Mutant Chronicles [/i] - mad, mad flick - estimated budget of £25,000,000?

Danbo

Solomon Kane was another doozy,40mil budget.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Stan

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 04 June, 2012, 11:02:31 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 04 June, 2012, 09:04:03 AM
Sounds good to me.

My expectations for films have been set on low for the past decade anyway. I'd much rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
Me too ,I got that on Friday when I watched Haywire,thought it looked a bit naff from what I'd seen but was quietly blown away,top film.

The Haywire? With Ewan McGregor and Michael Douglas? It was so bad I assumed they shot the whole thing in one take. It was a sight to see though. I'll give you that.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 04 June, 2012, 02:07:24 PM
Solomon Kane was another doozy,40mil budget.

It shows it can be done and Solomon Kane would have been far more successful had it been given a chance in the US. Certainly a better picture than many a big studio film. It was an independent and had immense trouble getting distribution. Possibly because it's DNA had been robbed for Van Helsing, a big flop. But to me, at the time, it felt like it was not given a chance.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Danbo

Quote from: Stan on 04 June, 2012, 03:16:01 PM
Sounds good to me.

My expectations for films have been set on low for the past decade anyway. I'd much rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
Me too ,I got that on Friday when I watched Haywire,thought it looked a bit naff from what I'd seen but was quietly blown away,top film.

The Haywire? With Ewan McGregor and Michael Douglas? It was so bad I assumed they shot the whole thing in one take. It was a sight to see though. I'll give you that.
Really?thought it was a great little film,better than Salt or that last Bond.

Stan

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 04 June, 2012, 03:39:28 PM
Quote from: Stan on 04 June, 2012, 03:16:01 PM
Sounds good to me.

Really?thought it was a great little film,better than Salt or that last Bond.

I can't watch Jolie films but I'm not that impressed with thingy's Bond either. I wasn't even a fan until I saw Layer Cake a few days ago.

Danbo

You're a tough audience Stan  :)

Stan

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 04 June, 2012, 04:55:11 PM
You're a tough audience Stan  :)

I'm just glad she isn't in this because then I'd have a problem. Either her or J-Lo. >:(

Danbo

Oh I dunno,always suspected she was geezer with that  macho bullshit shes pulls and together with her anorexic frame and mouth that would look at home with a hook in it I think she would make a great Judge Death.

darnmarr

Quote from: norse_sage on 04 June, 2012, 11:41:37 AM
Quote from: darnmarr on 03 June, 2012, 11:45:04 PM
I thought I'd ask which would be more upsetting for folk on the board here:

A: A piss-poor Dredd film that was nonetheless popular and would spawn sequels/toys/animated series e.t.c
or
B: An excellent Dredd film that nobody went to see ?

B! B!! B all the way!!!

Option B gives us a fans a movie we can enjoy, and something that will give a trickle of new fans for the indefinate future, certainly won't do any harm to the brand in the long run. Not so with A, which I consider the second worst that can happen....That's what happened with Robert E. Howard's Conan....That movie is deep, deep insult to the literary Conan, and it is deeply hated by a very large chunck of the Conan proper fans.

Sadly, for all its weakness as an adaptation, it worked as a standalone movie, and was loved by the public. As such, Milius and Ahnuld usurped the name of Conan, and every single Conan cartoon, film and comic (with the exception of the current Dark Horse comic) has owed more to the Milius film than the original Conan, and as such been total crap...

I hadn't thought of that but you are of course right, a 'successful-but-shite' film is a danger indeed.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 June, 2012, 12:49:14 AM

....If I simply had to choose either A or B, I'd choose B, but I don't believe this Dredd is either of those absolutes but a little inbetween and to the left...

I'm hoping for a little to the right, but I reckon yours is the shrewder guess. Won't be long now before we'll see once and for all.