Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

Just noticed that...what the hell are they filling it up with that for?...
[/quote]

Silly question, cos it's is Lionsgate's film, they are promote it...
[/quote]
Then it should be a general lionsgate page...not a specifically Dredd page promoting 'Sheepless in Seattle' or whatnot...unless Dredd the kicks the door at some point and riot-foams Jennifer Lopez for being Jennifer Lopez....then I'd see the point.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

James Stacey

Quote from: BOODA on 12 June, 2012, 02:34:32 PM
unless Dredd the kicks the door at some point and riot-foams Jennifer Lopez for being Jennifer Lopez....then I'd see the point.
And we'd all go see the movie

JOE SOAP

Quote from: norse_sage on 12 June, 2012, 02:30:39 PM
Actually, the US opening weekend means a lot, because regardless of wether the movie is a studio or independent production; the US opening weekend will label it as a flop or a hit. May not be accurate in a technical sense, but the label will stick.

How the movie fares in the US or the UK means nothing to the bottom line of, say, ze german or deh norwegian distributor, but if audiences in those countries percieve that Dredd is a flop from the entertainment news, twitter or RSS feed; many who otherwise would consider going won't waste their money on a flop and a troubled production (and that will be back in full force). If it turns out to be labelled as a hit, the opposite is true - then many who otherwise would have dismissed it as a Stallone remake might give it a chance, "since so many seem to like it". And this perception can indeed affect the bottom line of local distributors and thus sequel prospects.

That's why it's being released in the UK & Ireland first.

blackmocco

The important thing over here in the US is to make sure it's marketed properly. Better to concentrate on selling it as a kick-ass hyper-violent action movie a la Rambo or The Expendables than worrying about whether people have read Dredd in a comic before. (They haven't, judging by most of the forums I've been looking at.) Stallone casts a long shadow between Dredd's previous incarnation onscreen and people who constantly confuse it with Demolition Man. Securing the comic geeks isn't going to be enough on this side of the pond to make the box office this movie needs...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

brendan1

Quote from: norse_sage on 12 June, 2012, 02:30:39 PM
Actually, the US opening weekend means a lot, because regardless of wether the movie is a studio or independent production; the US opening weekend will label it as a flop or a hit. May not be accurate in a technical sense, but the label will stick.

How the movie fares in the US or the UK means nothing to the bottom line of, say, ze german or deh norwegian distributor, but if audiences in those countries percieve that Dredd is a flop from the entertainment news, twitter or RSS feed; many who otherwise would consider going won't waste their money on a flop and a troubled production (and that will be back in full force). If it turns out to be labelled as a hit, the opposite is true - then many who otherwise would have dismissed it as a Stallone remake might give it a chance, "since so many seem to like it". And this perception can indeed affect the bottom line of local distributors and thus sequel prospects.

In order to secure a sequel, the movie must create profits for a majority of the local distributors worldwide.

My guesstimate would be that if it manages to secure 50 mill + in the US and 50 + worldwide, most if not all stakeholders are in the black and ready for a sequel. Less then that, and things aren't so sure.

Opening BO is very important, yes, but the "sleeper" phenomenon is still valid. Although its definition does vary a lot.

JOE SOAP

From the Lionsgate twitter feed:

DREDD 3D‏@lionsgatemovies

Get ready to gaze into the face of #Dredd![/b[

Somebody should tell 'em we're not supposed to see Dredd's face and it's his fist , if it were in context.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: brendan1 on 12 June, 2012, 02:47:09 PM

Opening BO is very important, yes, but the "sleeper" phenomenon is still valid. Although its definition does vary a lot.

My opening BO stinks.

Stan

In terms of films I actually recognise there doesn't seem to be much competition in September. Unless I count Resident Evil: Retribution, which I didn't even know existed until about 30 seconds ago. And even then I kinda lost interest in that franchise when it stopped being about zombies.

JOE SOAP

Looper is the only other sci-fi film later in the month.

Misanthrope

Quote from: Stan on 12 June, 2012, 02:49:53 PM
In terms of films I actually recognise there doesn't seem to be much competition in September. Unless I count Resident Evil: Retribution, which I didn't even know existed until about 30 seconds ago. And even then I kinda lost interest in that franchise when it stopped being about zombies.

Was that thirty seconds into the first one, like me?
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

norse_sage

Quote from: brendan1 on 12 June, 2012, 02:47:09 PM

The thing is that sleepers are few and far between. They are the exception, and not the rule.
The rule is that if the movie doesn't deliver in its opening weekend, then for the most part it is finished.

Fingers crossed Dredd will not only have a decent weekend, but also respectable legs.

Danbo

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 June, 2012, 02:48:41 PM
From the Lionsgate twitter feed:

DREDD 3D‏@lionsgatemovies

Get ready to gaze into the face of #Dredd![/b[

Somebody should tell 'em we're not supposed to see Dredd's face and it's his fist , if it were in context.
Imminent trailer drop? is this from today?
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Stan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 June, 2012, 02:50:45 PM
Looper is the only other sci-fi film later in the month.

I wasn't aware of that but it does look interesting. Not really something I'd see at the cinema myself though.

Quote from: Misanthrope on 12 June, 2012, 02:51:13 PM
Was that thirty seconds into the first one, like me?

I can actually tolerate the first one, but then I do own Extinction and Spiderman 3.  :-[

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: James Stacey on 12 June, 2012, 02:36:28 PM
Quote from: BOODA on 12 June, 2012, 02:34:32 PM
unless Dredd the kicks the door at some point and riot-foams Jennifer Lopez for being Jennifer Lopez....then I'd see the point.
And we'd all go see the movie
I'd like that REAL 3D!...and that should have been 'unless Dredd kicks the door in at some point and riot-foams Jennifer Lopez for being Jennifer Lopez....then I'd see the point (in tweeting other Lionsgate films on the Dredd twitterfeed.'
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

darnmarr

I'd 'riot foam' Jennifer Lopez; I'd 'riot foam' her good.