Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraveNoir

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 26 June, 2012, 07:21:08 PM
Anyway, what I was saying was, seeing as Peach Trees has several gangs, according to the trailer, my guess is Ma Ma was executing the other gang leaders in spectacular fashion to send a message - 'this block belongs entirely to me now'.

My interpretation is that the graphic depicts the spread of the Mama Clan as it wiped out or absorbed the three other gangs within the block. I'm assuming this shot accompanies the paramedic telling the Judges what's been going on.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: CraveNoir on 26 June, 2012, 08:31:52 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 26 June, 2012, 07:21:08 PM
Anyway, what I was saying was, seeing as Peach Trees has several gangs, according to the trailer, my guess is Ma Ma was executing the other gang leaders in spectacular fashion to send a message - 'this block belongs entirely to me now'.

My interpretation is that the graphic depicts the spread of the Mama Clan as it wiped out or absorbed the three other gangs within the block. I'm assuming this shot accompanies the paramedic telling the Judges what's been going on.

Is that you agreeing with me, or making my post more comprehensible?   ;)

nicklarr

Quote from: ming on 26 June, 2012, 08:20:26 PM
Gah!  The Norwegian release date for Dredd is September 28th!  That's a full week later than the US release and even a day behind bloody Sweden!  Double-gah!!

Beat you to it then  ;)

imdb.com has Sweden listed as 21 September even..

(on SF Bio though it's listed as October 5th, weird..)

IAMTHESYSTEM

Could those 'three stooges' be Cops? After all the DREDD film is allegedly set during the early years of Justice Dept.

Perhaps that's a grim metaphor for the film. Old style policing literately thrown out the building to be replaced by criminal Gun Law -and then the Judges.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 26 June, 2012, 08:55:06 PM
Could those 'three stooges' be Cops? After all the DREDD film is allegedly set during the early years of Justice Dept.

With tattoos?

A.Cow

Surely Ezquerra block should look more like this...

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: A.Cow on 27 June, 2012, 01:45:40 AM

:lol:

clavell

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 26 June, 2012, 08:55:06 PM

Perhaps that's a grim metaphor for the film. Old style policing literately thrown out the building to be replaced by criminal Gun Law -and then the Judges.

That's a good idea, but they're not cops.

:lol:

- C
Writing Future Shocks is hard !

Bubba Zebill

:P
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Syne

Nice one  :D

Anyone know it that "dark lumpy outline" technique is unique to Ezquerra? I've never seen it anywhere else. When I first saw it - at the age of 9 or 10 - it put me off at first. Soon learned to love it though.

Syne

This may already have been covered, but does anyone what exact date the film is set? Is the year even specified?

The general look of everything would make me guess its 50 or so years in the future, so a lot earlier than the strip Dredd.

radiator

Syne

Quote from: radiator on 27 June, 2012, 08:42:41 AM
It's unspecified.

Thanks. Guess that makes the "cars don't look futuristic enough" complaint moot.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Syne on 27 June, 2012, 08:30:40 AM

Anyone know it that "dark lumpy outline" technique is unique to Ezquerra? I've never seen it anywhere else. When I first saw it - at the age of 9 or 10 - it put me off at first. Soon learned to love it though.

A lot of artists use a thicker outline around objects or characters in the foreground, to make them stand out more.  I remember Dillon and Bolland using it quite a bit.  Ron Smith would sometimes separate foreground with a white surround. However,  I don't recall seeing anyone else using Carlos's lumpy outline. It's a very individual technique - another reason why his art is so distinctive I guess!