Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

And an episode of Judgement Day

Stan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 July, 2012, 09:12:08 AM
They're starting the marketing before the film is shot, that's how big.

It's kinda funny how the Robocop guys were lavished with billions for a remake of a popular film, yet the Dredd peeps are given pennies to reboot a franchise widely acknowledged to have had a poor first crack. Though I suppose it helps when you consider the former will be more sanitised in terms of ultra-violence while the latter will crank it up.

I understand it's a little more complicated than that but it's funny how things turn out.

Steve Green

Well, it did have 2 sequels, live action and animated series, mini-series as well as the rest of the merchandise.

It's got more of a proven franchise potential than Dredd has.

JOE SOAP

Yep, RoboCop was a massive critical and commercial success, the main reason it's getting pushed for a reboot otherwise it probably wouldn't be happening.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Stan on 10 July, 2012, 08:44:57 PM
Quote from: JOE
/quote]

It's kinda funny ...
It's kinda funny because it came from DREDD.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

CYCLOPZ

If Dredd  does become the first in a long running series, Karl Urban will never get too old for the role. He could theoretically play Dredd into his sixties. Wishful thinking.

Has anyone played a role in a film series for so long? Bruce Willis is getting there with Die Hard..

vzzbux

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 10 July, 2012, 10:30:11 PM
If Dredd  does become the first in a long running series, Karl Urban will never get too old for the role. He could theoretically play Dredd into his sixties. Wishful thinking.

Has anyone played a role in a film series for so long? Bruce Willis is getting there with Die Hard..
Until they do a reboot.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

MR. ELIMINATOR

They should make it so it moves with real time like the comic. So a sequel would be set however many years it took to make after the events of this one. Though I don't think this specifies what the date is, and doesn't look like it would need to be continued in another film.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Though I would definitely like to see more then 3.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 July, 2012, 09:35:54 PM
Yep, RoboCop was a massive critical and commercial success, the main reason it's getting pushed for a reboot otherwise it probably wouldn't be happening.

It wasn't a 'critical success'. Terrible film that ripped off Dredd as those who made it admited.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 10 July, 2012, 11:09:15 PM

It wasn't a 'critical success'. Terrible film that ripped off Dredd as those who made it admited.

Maybe for you it wasn't a critical success but most critics in 1987 -even Roger Ebert- gave it a positive review and still do.

blackmocco

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 10 July, 2012, 11:09:15 PM

It was a critical success.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Steve Green

Keep telling yourself that - just because you don't personally like it doesn't make it true...

From what I remember it got fairly positive reviews like this one.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19870717/REVIEWS/707170301

and over time gets a pretty good rotten tomatoes review

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1017712-robocop/

JOE SOAP